Rem. Model seven 6mm

whytail3912

I have a Rem model seven in 6mm with synthetic stock and 18" barrel. Can i figure out how old it is with the s/n? Also what do you think this might be worth? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: whytail3912my S/N is only numbers, no letters.

As the link above states, its the barrel code and not the serial number you should be looking at.

The stock is not correct for the gun, it should have a birch youth stock or a standard LOP walnut, schnabel ended stock. With the correct walnut stock, both sights on the gun you'd probably get in $600 range on gunbroker, maybe a little more. I've sold two like that in the last year.

yes the stock is aftermarket, says bell and carlson on the recoil pad and has recessed pins for a sling instead of the screw in studs.

The only other number on the barrel is a real small 83 right where it meets the action. Could that be a date code?

Last edited:
From the Remington website

OVERVIEW: Remington Model Seven
Description: Compact, lightweight short-action bolt-action rifle
Introduction Year: 1983
Year Discontinued: Currently in production
Total Production: N/A
Designer/Inventor: Remington Arms Research & Development
Action Type: Bolt-action

Caliber/Gauge:
17 Remington (no sights) (1994 - 1995)
222 Remington (1983 - 1985)
223 Remington (1983 - Present)
22-250 Remington (2000 - Present)
243 Winchester (1983 - Present)
6mm Remington (1983 - 1984)
260 Remington (1998 - Present)
7mm-08 Remington (1983 - Present)
7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag (2001 - Present)
308 Winchester (1983 - Present)
300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag (2001 - Present)

I just bought a Model 7 in 6MM. I was checking the barrel code for date of manufacture and the letters didn't match the years shown for the 6mm. So I called Remington and talked to very nice lady. She asked for the SN and the gun was made in 1994.
I told her that according to the Remington website the 6mm was only produced in 83/84.
He response was that they must have made a special run in 6mm.
The letters are RO which means Nov. 94.

Originally Posted By: bumpI just bought a Model 7 in 6MM. I was checking the barrel code for date of manufacture and the letters didn't match the years shown for the 6mm. So I called Remington and talked to very nice lady. She asked for the SN and the gun was made in 1994.
I told her that according to the Remington website the 6mm was only produced in 83/84.
He response was that they must have made a special run in 6mm.
The letters are RO which means Nov. 94.

A good example of why the barrel code usually is the key to production dates.

Remington has never published serial number data for the general public to determine production dates like another company like Winchester did for years. Instead Remington has relied on the barrel code to age date rifles.

In many instances, Remington has produced special runs of rifles that do not show up in their general web site history information, but the barrel code is usually very reliable in dating the rifle. If the rifle has been re-barreled by someone, unless one gets access to actual serial number data which Remington has not always readily provided, its tough to date a rifle.

In the past couple of years you hear more and more of instances where Remington is sharing individual rifle production data based on the serial number for consumers. That has not been the norm in the past. In the past, and even today, the barrel code has long been the most reliable information key for age dating a Remington rifle .

Back