Friday was a good day!

derbyacresbob

On my first stand yesterday I was laying prone with my 22-250 and had my Foxpro Fury set about 50 yards out in front of me.

It was wide open flat ground. I started out with Bay Bee Cottontail and after only about 30 seconds I saw a hard charging coyote about 800 yards away. It was coming straight at the Fury at a high rate of speed.

I moved my rifle & bi-pod so it was pointing straight at the coyote. I looked around to the left and saw another coyote charging in from the left.

This coyote was closer so I moved my rifle a little to the left and got on it. Through my scope I saw this coyote while it was running look to it's left and spot the other coyote. This coyote stopped and turned around and started running away. I guess this coyote did not want to deal with another coyote.

So I got back on the first coyote it was about 200 yards away and still charging in. I muted the call when it was about 150 yards out. The coyote never slowed down and ran right up to the Fury and then it turned around and started running away.

I hit my number 1 per-set sound that is Coyote Pup Screams on volume 40. The coyote started glancing back so I was pretty sure he was going to stop. When the coyote got to right at 100 yards out it stopped and turned broadside so I shot it.

So I looked all around me and saw another coyote back behind me standing broadside so I turned around and got on that coyote and shot it too. I was looking towards the sun on the second coyote. When I went looking for the second coyote it took me a while to find it. It ended up being about 80 yards farther away than I thought it was.

015-6.jpg

024-4.jpg

In the above picture you can see how flat the ground is, with this short light colored grass you can see the coyotes coming in from a long ways off.

I did two more stands and was heading into some higher country to do a few more stands and check three trail cameras.

I was driving up a canyon with steep ridges on both sides when I saw a coyote cross the road and head up the ridge to my left. I stopped the truck and got out with my 22-250 and laid down and got on the coyote.

I started howling at it and it was slowing down going up the steep hill. I howled again as loud as I could and the coyote stopped about 20 yards short of the sky line. I put the cross hairs on the top of her back and squeezed the trigger. The coyote looked like it had been hit and was running down the hill towards me when it rolled over dead.

I looked by up to the left and saw another coyote come out of a draw close to the top of the ridge it was looking to my right. So I put the cross hairs on the top of this coyote's back and shot again, this coyote went straight down.

034-2.jpg

This is a picture of the two coyotes up on the ridge. You can see my truck on the road in the bottom of the canyon. It was about 600 yards walking up to the coyotes but only about 250 yards to walk back down. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
thumbup.gif
Nice going Bob.

Man I wish we still had the coyote numbers around here like we did before mange, the drought, chicken pox, scarlet fever and herpes took all of em. I miss those days badly!

Can't tell ya how long it's been since I saw a freebie run across the road or mousing out in a field. I wanna come hunt with you.
cry.gif

I'd say it was a good day Bob! I bet it takes a some getting used to judging distance in that flat ground when coyotes are charging in. Beautiful country and beautiful pictures! The terrain in that last pic is really cool. Nice shooting too!

What are you using for camo? Your country looks just like mine, and I'm having trouble finding something in the brown/grey colors.

Congrats on the nice pair, those are good looking coyotes.

Back