204 barrel question

07yzrysder

Im getting ready to build a 204 ar shortly and was hoping to get input from the crowd on barrel length. I seen the testing that 23 is optimum length but i was looking at a 20 inch for ease of hiking and what not.

My question is, do those who hike a bit think 3 inches is worth the extra 90ish fps?

If it matters im in nevada dezert i try to make my stands on hills to grt a better vantage on critters coming in so 1/4 to 1/2 mile out and another 100 or so feet up a hill to the stand.

My barrel/upper builder talked me into a 22" as a minimum and I'm glad I listened to him...Remington used to produce an 18" and has dropped the option over the years...I can only assume it was due to unhappy feed back from owners..

The .204 was developed as a high velocity round and cutting back on that really diminishes it's attractiveness (not really noticeable at 150 yards or less)....I really doubt that two inches less will be that noticeable in your carry/hiking weight...More will depend on the upper and hand guard you install..Mine has a heavy steel free floated hand guard and Elevated Optical Platform rail, if I had swapped it out for a lighter one, it would make more difference than the barrel length...

You will find that for longer distance shots, you will need the little extra weight for stability...I've always found that overly light rifles tend to bounce or move considerably more, especially if shooting from sticks or off hand, than the heavier ones...

yea i was thinking that 23 was optimal and the 204 was a burner which is why i wanted to ask before i made any decisions. Ill prob pay the extra to get a 23 inch. absolute worst case i can always take and inch or two off, i cant put them back on though.

thanks for the help.

I've been sporting a 20" shilen in 204 that I got from tactico arms complete upper for $495. It's extremely every load I've run through it has been under an inch with the load I worked up for my 40 gr Bergers it's shooting under a 1/2" it is a 9 twist and my load of 29.5gr of cfe223 is giving me 3790 for an average.

I run a 20pr with a 20in barrel from WOA and have the same upper in 6mmwoa with a 22in barrel. I have both guns set up with the same stock and lower combo. I can tell the difference when I carry the 6mmwoa vs. the 20pr from woa. But It isn't that bad. They both get carried evenly through out the yeasr.

Originally Posted By: devildoggI've been sporting a 20" shilen in 204 that I got from tactico arms complete upper for $495. It's extremely every load I've run through it has been under an inch with the load I worked up for my 40 gr Bergers it's shooting under a 1/2" it is a 9 twist and my load of 29.5gr of cfe223 is giving me 3790 for an average.

How far out does that load stay accurate?

Originally Posted By: 1PETAHATERI just put a 204 ar upper together Lilja 17". Still working on the load develop. Every time I squeeze the trigger I giggle.

Where did you get the barrel? Did you find someone who has them in stock, or did you order from Lilja?

Back