22-250 difficult to chamber after FL resizing

Originally Posted By: Furhunter
Was the pressure he talked about with or without a piece of brass in the press?
Roger wasnt to clear on the cam over term so whos to know where it was until he gets back to us.

Agreed on all points.
thumbup1.gif

He might get enough bump with a little more adjustment.

I've had 2 (out of 10) Forster FL dies that wouldn't bump the shoulder back if you were standing on the handle. The only choice was to shave the dies or the shell holder. I chose the shell holder, and it didn't forever ruin it.

Both times the brass was fired in custom-cut chambers, and the bolt closed with a crush fit on brand new brass. The brass just didn't grow enough when fired to reach the shoulder in the die.
There ARE times when die adjustment isn't enough. I'm sure it rarely happens with factory chambers.
Most folks just screw down the die until the bolt closes. They don't know or care how much the brass is worked. But most folks probably don't shoot enough to worry about the life of their brass anyway.

My statement about ruining it forever pertains to selling it in the future for whatever reason. Sure it works for you because its yours and you know whats been done to it but a modified FL die can cause someone else some real problems.

I have a RCBS 223 FL die thats had .005 taken off of it. I would never sell it because it could really cause problems for someone who couldnt or wouldnt know how to deal with it.

Quote:I've had 2 (out of 10) Forster FL dies that wouldn't bump the shoulder back if you were standing on the handle.

By chance, does one of your sets of Forster dies happen to be the 6x47L set? If so, mines the same way, I've had to fall back to my 6.5x47 type S die with bushings for my sizing.

I'm thinking my definition of cam over and everyone else's must be different. To me, cam over is when the press ram reaches the top of its stroke and actually starts back down a bit with continued operation of the press handle in the same direction.

Furhunter, all initial set up was done without brass.

I went back through the instructions that came with my dies, and wonder of wonders there were two versions of the instructions, issue 10 and 11. Issue 10 says to turn the die in until it contacts the shell holder. Issue 11 says to turn it in till it contacts the shell holder + 1/8 to 1/4 turn to remove all play from the press linkage. I think I can get the amount of resizing I need before I get to a full 1/4 turn. So all those that said go on and let it squish a bit were absolutely right. I'm guessing I read issue 10 and then filed the rest of the instructions that came with my other dies away, assuming they were all the same. I guess this proves what they say about assuming. I just didn't want to break anything.

Update: I just tried resizing some of the Winchester brass that was giving me trouble with the die adjusted about 3/16 of a turn past contact and now they chamber fine.

Back