Stevens 200 .243 price ???

YankeeBill

Hi folks, I'm trying to determine what would be a fair price for a 2006 - 2007(ish) SF Stevens 200 .243 w/ gray factory Tupperware stock. Gun is as new and unfired, but without the box.

Appreciate any info you may have.

Thanks,
YB

Only comment I can make to help you is on price I paid for two Stevens 200s. One was a 270 and other was a 7mm-08. Both bought from same Academy store in Houston, Tx area around 2 years ago. Normally Academy sold them for around $279. Bought the 7mm08 for $249 (plus tax) when onsale. A month or so later, Academy had them on clearance for $179 and bought the 270. Seem to recall, Gander Mtn, a store not known for low prices, was selling the Stevens 200 for around $300 in this time period.

I keep hearing 'acedemy' an low gun prices in the same paragraph. I wish we had one around here! For $179 I'd buy every one on the shelf.

I use gunbroker for my price comparisons. There are several 'stevens 200 new' for sale for a smidge under $300. Usually have $35 for shipping + $25ffl on top of that, so less than $350 is the #.

Academy does not have them any more, but some friends of mine bought several from $169-$199 as Academy was phasing them out. I am left handed, so I passed on them. I regret that now as I could have parted them out and made considerable profit.

Thanks for the info guys. No Academy stores near me either, sure wish they'd open one in the Hampton roads,VA. area. Guess I'll advertise it for $325 locally as it is unfired, I can always lower the price if I have to. I really have no need for a .243 and looking to get a .223.

Wally world had an Axis in .223 for $288. Might just go that route and put a Boyd's laminate on it.

YB

Originally Posted By: RuddyWhy not find a take off Savage .223 barrel and swap it out then sell your .243 take off.

That is an option, but I don't have a shop set up right now with a bench, vice or barrel tools, so it would probably be more cost effective to just sell or trade for a new gun.

If you decide to get a barrel, I'm only about an hour or so from you and have everything but a set of go, no go gauges and will help you out.

Originally Posted By: RuddyIf you decide to get a barrel, I'm only about an hour or so from you and have everything but a set of go, no go gauges and will help you out.

Wow Rudy, that is quite an offer, Thank You! I might have to consider a Take Off BBL after all and take you up on that offer
thumbup1.gif
, Of course I'd be happy to buy the go-nogo gauges and whatever else may be needed. I'll keep your offer in mind and will be on the lookout for a BBL. I'm down on the Norf. / VA. Bch. line BTW, my Sister-in-Law used to live in Mechanicsville but she's in NN now. Thanks again for the generous offer, I'll give you shout if I find a .223 bbl.

YB

Last edited:
I *think* you'll need a new bolt head for the change as well. Hardest part about a barrel swap is getting the nut off the first time.

Hey Bill,

I'm in the market for .243 for my son. Yours would be perfect.

I'd go $300 delivered to my FFL in 97814 (eastern OR). It costs about $25 to ship these rifles usps parcel select. All you'd need is a box. Any rifle box will do, just turn it inside out so the markings don't show (usps policy), stuff some bubble wrap in key areas, and it's ready to mail.

Lemme know...

Thanks,

DCS

Originally Posted By: NdIndyI keep hearing 'acedemy' an low gun prices in the same paragraph. I wish we had one around here! For $179 I'd buy every one on the shelf.

Of the several gunstores I visit to brouse that are within 30 minutes of me, Academny doesn't have as much inventory of firearms, but decently stocked with a variety.

As to the Stevens 200's I'd bought for $179. Academny had bought a large quantity of them for an X-mas special several years ago and had a lot left over to sell. When I mentioned the $179 clearance price for the Stevens to 4 or 5 gents I regularly shoot with at range we're members, between them they bought around 10 of them just for the actions to build on. LOL, a lot of rebarreling was done the following months in the workshop of one of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DCSHey Bill,

I'm in the market for .243 for my son. Yours would be perfect.

I'd go $300 delivered to my FFL in 97814 (eastern OR). It costs about $25 to ship these rifles usps parcel select. All you'd need is a box. Any rifle box will do, just turn it inside out so the markings don't show (usps policy), stuff some bubble wrap in key areas, and it's ready to mail.

Lemme know...

Thanks,

DCS

Appreciate the offer DCS, but I'm thinking about just swapping out the barrel now.

YB

Last edited:
Back