Anybody trick out a Savage Axis or Ruger American?

Robinhood21

Anybody out there upgrade to a new stock, rebarrel, or just customize the Axis or American? Would like to see your upgraded versions.

Thanks

Didn't do one myself ...yet...but the Axis just got a boost - stocks available thru Boyd's and triggers thru Rifle Basics and Timney. Barrels are small shank Savage IIRC - lotsa custom makers make 'em. This many of a gun gets sold, and the aftermarket has to pay attention.

Haven't seen much on the American yet, but it's newer - give it time.

Just tuned the trigger and changed the barrel so far. The barrel is another Savage take off and not a custom. Later, if Boyd's make a left hand laminate for it, I will upgrade that and maybe add a Timney or Rifle Basix trigger.

I bought the Savage Axis in 22-250 from a buddy for $150. it was the ugly [beeep] mossy oak camo pattern so I painted the stock OD green. I also cut off less than a coil on the trigger spring and brought it down to around 3 lbs. I also added a Vortex scope. I had pictures, but deleted them when I sold the gun.

here is a video link to the trigger job I followed

Last edited:
Cut the stock down and gave my daughters 7-08 American a paint job. Looks real good and fits her good too. She just shot her first buck with it on Saturday. Waiting for boyds to bring out a stock for it.

Did a trigger job on my Axis. Got frustrated with its stock and made one for it. Do woodworking and had made some rifle stocks for some sporterized military rifles from pieces of wood left over from other projects. Soooo, after thinking about the Axis for a few days and its design, decided to cut out the receiver portion of the factory stock, flatten its sides and build a wooden stock around it. Used about 60 pieces from parquet flooring I'd replaced in a bedroom that I broke up and recut to suit me and then laminated them together. Also used some cherry from an old cabinet drawer plus some pecan veneer. Reshaped the Axis trigger guard to reuse it and did the same with the recoil pad. Turned out decent.....well, different anyway. Chuckle. I'd post a pic, but haven't been able to figure out how to do a URL, which is stupid as I've been building my own computers from parts since about 1995.

I did the trigger mod, put some great stuff in the stock to get rid of the hollow sound and painted her.

[img:left][/img]

Last edited:
Savage Axis Stainless. Rifle Basix trigger and Boyd's thumbhole stock.

1383251022_2013-10-3021.15.38.jpg

The best thing about the Axis is that even BEFORE the mods, she was a sub-MOA shooter. Even after $200 in upgrades, I still have a rifle that's over $150 cheaper than any other stainless rifle that shoots this well.

The Axis is a terrific value for the price.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSYep but it's still just a savage.

Yea, but if it shoots tiny little groups, and for a song-n-dance cheap, most of us don't care. Functional and accurate is what matters in the predator fields.

Then there is the high-quality, fine sporting rifles that we all like. That's another story.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSYep but it's still just a savage.

That is of no significance to me. I don't care one jot about what Fanboys and Label Lovers think, I only care about results.

I have expensive guns, I have cheap guns. I'm like Jesus, I love them all.

Grouse

Like OP asked in the original question, I'd like to see some more tricked out Axis and Americans. I like them all too, customs and working mans guns both.

Haven't seen many Americans tricked. Nice job Bowman. Famous, like the stainless with that boyds look. Looks pepper in the photo.

Originally Posted By: The Famous Grouse I'm like Jesus, I love them all.

Grouse

Good potential for the quote of the day!!! LOL!!!

i have a 243 American that I had hydro dipped in snow camo, I love this gun, i.m.o they are the best rifle for the money out there. I have pics of it but I don't have a way to post them, if someone wants to post them for me I can email them.

As others have mentioned, the Axis or American aren't really meant for that purpose. "Pimping out" these rifles is just a way to make an affordable rifle into an expensive one.

Granted, that's NOT to say that it doesn't make sense to buy a Stevens 200 rifle (Savage 10 action) tear it apart and rebuild it into a custom, rather than buying a more expensive version of the Savage action. Same deal as buying a Remington 700 used and rebuilding it.

But yeah, pimping out a Honda civic never made much sense to me either...

Yeah, I see what you mean Varmin. Guess it's in the perception of pimping. Seen some nice homebrewed camo jobs with rattle cans, think that's where my mind was :)In reality, I've got a 1500 Howa and don't like the Hogue but can't bring myself to chuck it and buy a wood stock, it works.

I think a Savage Axis in .221 Fireball would be just the right gun for foxes and coyotes. Yes, I know you can download to their specs but it wouldn't be the same. kwg

Back