Best 22 hornet rifle?

Eli

I have been looking for a cartridge that will drop a good bit after 200 yards or so in fear of houses nearby and 200 yards would prolly be my max range. I have settled on the 22 hornet but their are just not a bunch rifles out their and I would like some opinions on them. Please mention (if you have it) how accurate it is due to some guns being a little finicky with that caliber.

The Browning A Bolt Micro Hunter in 22 Hornet is without a doubt the topshelf. It's accuracy is beyond belief, especially when shooting the factory Hornady 35 gr V-Max. I have killed everything with mine from groundhogs to coyotes. Friends who know me and seen this little rifle shoot immediately want one like it. Total now is six other people I know have bought it due to witnessing mine shoot and all of theirs are shooters as well. I bought a second one in the same model in order to convert it to the 17 Ackley Hornet, no regrets. They cost a little more than the other makes and models, but well worth it. The Rugers have a reputation for accuracy problems in the Hornet models that have cost many owners lots of dollars to try and fix without being satisfied in the end, others are easily satisfied. CZ's in the 22 Hornet have a good reputation, plus their single set trigger contributes to aiding with accuracy.

The Hornet is easy to reload for but I don't due to the Hornady factory 35 grain V-Max providing a ragged one hole five shot group at 100 yds.

Good luck and you will never ever regret buying a Browning.

Here is one of my five shot groups at 100 yds with my Browning Micro Hunter A Bolt in 22 Hornet, shooting factory 35 gr Hornady V-Max(dime above for comparison), with a Leupold 4.5x14x50 VX=III scope. These rifles are hard to find, but worth the wait in ordering one. Browning rifles come out of the box with the barrel floated and the action bedded. I lighten the trigger on mine a bit, but other than that, nothing different from a boxed Browning.

I have 5 hornets, 4 Rugers and a CZ. I really like them all but the CZ is the most accurate. It is a fun caliber to shoot.

Another 22 hornet that is often over-looked is the Remington 799, I have one of these and it is a very good rifle. There is another company importing the Zastava rifle now and I think they would be just as good. I also have a CZ, a Brno, and a Savage 23D in the hornet, good rifles all. I have a CZ in the new 17 Hornet that I think is a really good rifle.

I've got a Savage model 40 22 hornet and it has no problem shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. It has a nice heavy varmint barrel, accutrigger, dual front sling swivels, etc. I couldn't be happier with it as a varmint shooter. Now if I was hiking around all day I'd probably take along a sporter weight gun, but otherwise I like a heavier gun. I've been using the factory 35 grain vmax mainly but will be testing out some hand loads this spring to see how those will do in it. What kind of game are you going for?

FWIW, My Ruger 77/22 all weather 22 Hornet is among my favorite rifles. I did a trigger job, bedded the stock, and worked up a load with Lil Gun, small pistol primers, and the Hornady 35 gr. V Max. I get .5-.75" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I zero the gun at 150 yds and my best 5 shot group is .66" at 150.

I like the accuracy, flush mag. (the Ruger rotary mag is the best in my opinion), the trigger after I reworked it, and the accuracy that I am getting. MUST HAVE GOTTEN A GOOD ONE!

+1 on the Ruger 77/22 Hornet. I've had two and my buddy has one and all three will shoot cloverleafs or better at 100yds. Not the best trigger but easily fixed.

I am goin for coyotes and the occasional red fox. The 22 hornet just fits my needs. Is their any under oooo maybe 500 dollars?

Last edited:
What do you guys think about the h and r hand rifle? I know that you usually get what you pay for but I'm just starting out and I would just like something that is coyote vital MOA
lol.gif
. I don't necessarily need a gun that groups under 1 inch though those rifles you mentioned are very nice and I am quite jealous
thumbup1.gif
....Though I have a budget to stick to.
thumbdown.gif

Last edited:
Ive got the Ruger 77/22, had for years and years no problems shoots great! And looks a [beeep] of alot better than the CZ!

Thing with handi rifles is they are (used to be anyway) built on a shotgun receiver, 12 ga size receiver and a shotgun trigger. I took a few in on trade, shot them. May work for you, check one out.

Another vote for the Ruger....mine is a shooter as well. One of my favorite guns. Some of the Handi Rifles are VERY accurate. It would be easy coyote vital moa...and still have money for a decent optic.

Had a Ruger, Savage model 40, Savage model 322, and a H&R. Still have the CZ. Heard good things about the Browning but their tough to find.

I have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet and put an aftermarket trigger in it and free floated the barrel. It shoots much better now.

I own several different varmint calibers and for a long time I really didnt like the Hornet until I put a little extra work into it. Now, I it is one of my favorites.

One of my favorite aspects of this caliber is how cheap it is to reload. I definitely dont feel bad spending an afternoon shooting it compared to some of my other rifles.

Back