Ohio Roll Call

Originally Posted By: ohioyotehntrKnee is good. Sore, but I am back to work so I can do what I wany.
smile.gif
Just ready for everything to calm down from deer season so I can get to calling. This snow would have been great if it was 2 weeks from now. Hope we get some more!!

You are right. It would have been nice to use this snow to our advantage. There isn't a bonus gun weekend, just muzzleloader left.

I'm glad the gun season is over myself , I was able to take a nice 8pt in the final minutes of the season . But during my lunch break I found a road kill deer and drug into a bean field for the coyotes . Set her up adjacent to some good coyote trails I found earlier in the week . Went out tonight and checked my trail cam I had set up on her and nothing has showed up so far .

Been wanting to get out this week but the wind has just been howling the last few days , saturday is calling for low to mid 30's for daytime temps . May try a few sets in the morning then try for raccoons later in the day .

I'm itchin to to get out to, but it's to cold at night for me, I like it bout 30 degrees at night. Got 2 new places, I stopped at these farms a few yrs ago and asked, farmers said no.... Coyotes keep this ground gamey. I thought what ever. Funny they both called last week and invited me out. Said theres nothing on our farms now but coyotes, no rabbits, no deer. So maybe the son might get his dbal and helmet a lil early for christmas, then wrap it back up so mommy doesn't know
thumbup.gif

I need to get out hunting soon.........

So far this week I've driven 8 hrs to MD in a snow and ice storm. Drove back the next day to avoid another snow storm. Make it home to a water main break at the house and then the furnace went out. Might be shopping at the dollar general for Christmas this year. Lol.

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnSeems like it all happens at once. I have those ups and downs to running a business too. Things will work out for you I'm sure

As of right now everything is fixed. Holding my breath nothing else goes wrong. Back to work tomorrow. Will have 3 days of stuff piled up waiting on me. Yippee. Lol.

Went "squirrel" hunting in Brown County with my buddy on some of his families property....lets just say I found a new spot to coyote hunt....It was plumb full of coyote tracks. It was a slick piece of property, 90 acres that was logged years ago. Tops everywhere with thick thick under brush, small creeks rolling through it. Going to be a heck of a shotgun spot. Also, trying to make it out to Shawnee soon, same buddy has property out there and knows some people. So we will see.

Adams Co. caught my eye the other day by Broken SVT. I'm originally from Clark-Greene area. My grandpa used to take me to Loudon camping back in the early 90's. I loved it down there. It was like stepping back in time, very rural area. The pond and land we used to go to was sold and turned into a game preserve the last I knew. We used to go to sleep listening to the coyotes howling.

Huron county here. As usual struggling to call in a coyote yet, pretty sure its impossible. anybody ever try a coyote decoy? thinking about picking up the Flambeau lone howler. any info would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Reeper78Huron county here. As usual struggling to call in a coyote yet, pretty sure its impossible. anybody ever try a coyote decoy? thinking about picking up the Flambeau lone howler. any info would be appreciated.
Keep after it. It's not easy calling in the very swift, smart, and # 1 on the food chain critter is it? My suggestion is get out and go, and where the dawgs are. No reason to fish in a pond where there's no fish. If your not hunting go scouting so you know where they are. Decoys yes there's time I wish I had a decoy, there's times I wish I had my shot gun instead my AR. I sit and wonder bout alot of things. Just get out and go, there's no blue prints on how to shoot these critters, if there was a formula for it we'd all have it. Happy hunting, and good luck. Stop back in and tell us some stories.

Ok sit down, grab a cold 1. Heres the story of the week. Me and the boy decided to go out Tuesday night bout 6p. I bought him a new dbal and helmet for Christmas, and at 13, kinda hard hiding things like this cause I'm more excited than he is, I sneak everything out of the packages earlier in the day so mommy doesn't know. I sight the new dbal in and it's lookin good. I have everything stashed in the shop so all we have to do is slip in get our equipment and leave. He .asks dad, where we goin, I said the honey hole,his eyes just sparkled with excitement. I said get your pvs focused in and get it on your helmet and he did. I shot 5 of my 20 dawgs on this farm last yr, it's loaded. Been there back in early oct and banged 1, so I knew it was ready again.
We get out of the truck and man the wind has picked up, thought I dont have enuff clothes on, but I'm gonna tuff it out. We finish our lil hike of bout half mile back in, easy walking but it's a half mile or so. Get set up in a cross wind, those lil critters are gonna come bout 25-30 yards in on the cross wind right to out lap. I'm sittin and i see the boy sweeping his laser and IR back and forth looking for eyes cause it dark, all of a sudden this mini blizzard sets in it's a white out thru the pvs14's and here come 2 dawgs flying in. The first 1 honestly all I can see is his ears bobbin in cause he's so light colored blending right in with the snow. second 1 was pretty dark and could some what see him, but it's snowing hard, I'm whispering pretty hard 2 o'clock....2 o'clock. His laser is on the darker 1, but I'm thinking SHOOT.....no shot, by this time the wind has changed blowing right towards the yotes and they are leaving town. I'm throwing brass but no luck. We get back to the truck I'm kickin around like a lil 1st grader, why didn't you shoot son? He said dad I didn't wanna make you made but I wasn't focused in. Well when he put his pvs on his helmet, I didn't take the pinky focus ring off, so the j arm hit the ring knocked it out of focus, causing it to bottom out... Thought crap.. My fault cause I didn't remove it. Went back to the shop removed the focus ring. Back in business. Left out for # 2 stand, bout a mile down the rd. It's flat snowin and wind is bout 25 mph. We get set up, 2 minute mark of lightening jack and volume on 40 cause the wind is howling here comes a yote in cross wind but stops and sits down at bout 275-300 yrd mark. By this time Im thinking what else can go wrong 2night. I turn sideways set my stick up and get ready to shoot....crack...at the same exact time I pull the trigger he stands up and walks forward. He turns and is running back home. Thought there's no way I missed that dawg. We were there for bout 5 more min, nothing, so we packed up. Drove down the lane where the yote was coming from to look for blood. That yote stood up at the exact time I shot, my bullet must had shaved his chest and belly hair for him. No blood in the snow, but a couple nice balls of hair right where his butt prints were in the snow. It was bout 250-260 yrd shot with my dbal d2 laser and pvs14

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good time being out with your son at least!

Is it night vision stuff you all are using? I'm not familiar with it all. Been kicking around the idea of getting some to try out. I can't afford any high dollar set ups and don't want to waste money so I've been using lights.

Originally Posted By: rletts77Sounds like you had a good time being out with your son at least!

Is it night vision stuff you all are using? I'm not familiar with it all. Been kicking around the idea of getting some to try out. I can't afford any high dollar set ups and don't want to waste money so I've been using lights. Son and myself both have helmet mounted pvs14's, and we each have dbal d-2 IR lasers mounted on our guns. Great set up out to 250 yards. I picked this set up cause I try to limit my shots to under a 100 yards cause of the areas I hunt especially around suburb areas and small farms limit me to long shots. Take my advice, pinch and save to buy good NV equipment, don't go cheap u'll be disappointed, and out your $.

I hunt pretty much the same type of areas around here. I saw a night vision scope, gen 2+ is how they advertised it. It was around 1500 bucks. I looked at the reviews on it (optics planet). Some were good and some bad.

Back