Baiting

Thanks everyone for the welcome and info. Got into predator hunting several years ago with varied success. I see lots of coyotes and coyote sign on my property but they never seemed to come into calls and I lost interest. This baiting thread has got me interested again. I'll post some pics of my baiting setup and trail cam pics soon. One thing the coyotes around here seam to like is eggs. Found half a carton of eggs in my fridge that were way expired, so I placed them out by my bait pile. Coyotes were all over it.

Jlc, yes, they'll eat most anything including each other or you if they had you in the right situation. When you get rigged out right you'll start whacking them.

Rudi, when you shoot a crow hang him up out there at your bait site. 6mmo6 does that all the time and it serves as a warning to other crows. He has a video of a coyote stealing his crow off the post. Maybe he'll find it and post it up again. Crows are smart and they learn pretty quickly to stay away. Of course they'll need a refresher course periodically.
smile.gif

I just got my baits set up for this year. One thing they seem to really like right now for some reason is coyote carcasses. I killed a couple calling so I skinned them and cut the head off and the coyotes are all over them.

Originally Posted By: Rudi
dn9Exds.jpg

I am thinking about setting up a hide, and just slaying them with a 12ga and then adding them to the baitcicle

Just sit next to one of those pine trees on a bucket with a shotgun. Play crow fight and wait. Use a full choke and standard #7.5 shot. Don't add them to your bait pile though, the sight of them will attract more crows. Pick them all up and put in a garbage bag and make a separate pile off the main one.

Rudi,

I agree with DoubleUp. If you want to get rid of crows, shoot one or two and hang them up. It scares the heck out of the other crows.
However, if there's a hawk in the area, he will get your "scare crows." It's happened to mine several times.

Here's a couple of examples of a hawk getting a crow. I shot a crow and left it on the ground at the bait site. Later a hawk got it.

Click on all photos to see the video.

I also hung a crow to a stake. Here's the results.

Here's the video DoubleUp was referring to. I hung this crow up on a stake to keep the other crows away,
but a coyote decided he wanted it. The video isn't all that clear, but you can see what's happening.

Here's a couple of short videos of activity at my bait site lately. Seems most everyone is having a slow season so far, so I thought I would share
something to keep us hanging on and pass the time. Surely things will get better soon. It's very slow here for coyotes at the moment, but other critters
have been visiting. The first video was within the last week to 10 days or so. The buck was the 19th of last month.

Sure been slow here even with the below zero temps. Sat yesterday evening on the basin, my favorite spot, plenty of ice, but no tracks at all. finally had a hit on the bait site, gut pile from deer season, went three weeks before the first coyote visited it.

Originally Posted By: RudiOk. I tried to tag a couple this summer, but I don't think it had any effect.
mad.gif
I will give them some 40gr [beeep].
Crows are a great attackant for coyotes if you have plenty of bait. The crows will call coyotes from great distances at times

My brother blasted a yote on a bait pile 100 yards from the house at 7am today.
Bag-flop w/180 partition elk load from a 300 win mag.. Did not tear it up at all.
Forecast for 3-5 inches of snow tonight. Going to stake out a bait pile near my ground blind in am.

Good luck at the bait site. I'm sure you already know, but position your blind considering the wind so the coyotes won't smell you as they approach the bait. Keep us posted.

I have had a blind at the same location for a couple of years now with my success increasing with parking and walking approach change. I had been parking and then walking down a field road to get to my stand. Now I drive past my stand and staying off field road that yotes are using. I try to analyze every move I make to see if anything could increase or decrease my success rate. Last year I increased my time by 2 hours in the stand and saw a noticeable increase in kills.

This is the only thing I've had show up at my bait site so far this year.

Hopefully I'll get some coyotes to show up soon. I've been keeping all my good bait for when deer season is closed here next week.

Here is yet one more example of how my crows disappear from the bait site. I put the crows out to keep other crows from stealing my bait, but they generally don't last very long.
If there is a hawk around, he will get every one. This video was taken just a few days ago.

Click on the photo to see the video, and pay attention to the hawk higher up on the hillside.

David, you get some of the best footage at your site. I love seeing what you come up with next. I guess that hawk is getting his payback for all the harassment the crows give them
laugh.gif

Thanks Corey. I have really enjoyed the trail cameras.

Here's last night's Gray fox. He visited the past two nights. Notice how he searches the grass for small pieces of bait.
I have a larger piece wired down to a stake, but the smaller pieces scattered about is what keeps both coyotes and
fox lingering around longer.

As with most all my trail camera stuff, click the photo to see the video.

Nice looking grey David. I can only hope to see a report of how a 25gr. HP does on him if you get the right opportunity. So far, Mighty Mouse seems to be doing you a fine job.

This guy keeps showing up at the bait site. I might have to pop this guy. I usually don't shoot reds, but I've got an itchy trigger finger and no song dogs have shown there face so far this year. I've yet to shoot anything with the new 17wsm and want to see what she'll do.

Standing by for pics of dead things, but keep the pics and videos coming. Been quite at my place but I am going to the hog lease (walking bait pile) this weekend. Maybe I can get some "enticer".

It's really quiet here too, Weekender. I have only seen a coyote twice since September 24th. My trigger finger is getting very itchy and needs scratching.

I shoot a crow and leave it lay and no crows come around for a long time.I had a bobcat tag and last sunday I made sets at two places.I wait till mid dec. so I get a fully prime cat.Monday morning I had a 30 lbs. tom at the first spot,and I had a big one pull out at the other spot.Had to of been a toe hold as he wasnt in the set long .So 2 cats in one night and the dnr dosnt think we have many cats.I wont get another tag for many years.

Nothing but crows, buzzards, a hawk, possums, and an owl on my site for the last couple of weeks. Slow... even the fox seems to have moved on. I wonder if it's because of the hunting dogs running?

Back