Afternoon calling

coolhand

Hey Guys, I do all my calling right at daylight. I've always wanted to try the afternoon, but i'm not sure how to set up. How close to sundown do you start? Is the best time right before dusk?

The last 2 I have shot have been in the middle of the afternoon, between 2 and 4 O'clock. Yesterday while I was driving around mid-afternoon I saw a coyote wandering around in a field. I don't think time of day (in my limited experience) is all that critical. Seems to me they are opportunistic animals and get what they can get when they can so if they think you're a meal they'll come in.

I agree, I've called them in at all times of the day,I personaly like the early morning just cause it's my favorite time of day.
don

I call them at all hours of the day. Some days they seem to respond all day long. Limiting your calling to a short window of the day is only limiting your success. I guess it depends on how much ground you have to call; but If you have enough room to stretch your legs, I'd call all day.

Hunt all day long if you can. Like others have said, coyotes are opportunistic and you never know when a coyote decides he wants to eat. If I call at dusk I'll usually leave enough time for two quick stands or one long stand before the sun goes down.

I have hunted nearly every day for the last 3 weeks, in my findings the hot time is daybreak till about 8:30, it seems to slow down midday. Colder the weather the later they seem to be out. During the last storm my area had I hit it really hard, 10+ stands per day , 49-55 degrees with light rain/mist. They didn't seem to like the rain , no luck for 2 days. Than when the storm cleared the afternoon was on fire. !! I have a 90% success rate before 8 am. And that drops significantly after 9 am, 10% rate until 4 pm, than it picks up again. I'm new to predator hunting , so these are by no means exactly correct , but this is my finding in the last month. Hope this helps, will keep ya posted , going to hit it hard again this weekend, more [beeep] weather incoming !
Dave

Thanks for the replies. 90% of all of my kills have also been before 8am. I always set up before daylight, and start calling when I can see to shoot. I'm going to try some late afternoon calling Thanksgiving weekend. We'll see...

Last weekend I shot a Coyote right at sun up Saturday and then again Sunday morning at first light.

After 10am it is slow up until 2 or 3pm. Gets dark here around 4:45.

Shot a total of 6!

I agree with Mr. Pop. 10-2 is kind of a dead zone (or has been for me) for any hunting. My brothers and I have always had luck at first light up to a few hours after (8-9 usually) and after 2-3ish until sundown. Best of luck! I plan to call some thanksgiving weekend as well.

The best time to call is anytime you can get out there!! I have had the best luck before 10AM and after 3PM. I have killed coyotes through out the day, but these have been the best times for me.

Well, I finally got out there yesterday afternoon about 5pm. Had the wind perfect so I started off with Lightning Jack. About 15 minutes in, a big male shows up and almost runs over the decoy. I smoked him at 50 yds with the 17 Fireball, DRT. It gets dark about 6pm, so I just sat tight and switched to Coyote Pup Distress. 10 minutes later a pair of young ones slip in downwind. They spotted me and left out. I barked a few times and they stopped at about 200 yds. to look back. Bad decision! The Fireball smoked another one! I think I'm going to like this afternoon stuff! Only problem, my phone camera flash wouldn't work so my pics were dark.

I like to call all day when I can but that doesn't happen a whole lot, when you have a wife and family that need you too. Here is what I have noticed from watching my dog. Most of the time when I go out in the mornings at day break, he is out rambling around in the field chasing mice. Now as the day goes on you will see him laying around the house and every couple of hours he will get up and stretch, then walk over and get him a drink or a bite to eat. Next thing you know he is back laying there licking his nuts. This goes on like this all day.

After watching him and thinking about the coyotes. I believe they do about the same thing, hunt early while everything is out and moving. They get full or tired then they go lay down. Every so often they get up and go for a walk. Or go eat especially if they hear the dinner bell ring, or a call squalling. You get close enough for them to hear and not have to exert a whole lot of energy. They will come a running. This is just what I have noticed in my 14 years of coyote calling.

Back