PVS14 Weapon Mounted

I want to attach my pvs to a dayscope, for those of you that have this setup I need some input. Pvs 14 day/night adapter or the tnvc tm14 mount? Also fixed or variable power scope? 4x-6x is all the mag I need. Scope With or Without AO?

Are you gonna leave it on your gun, or are you gonna scan with it, then mount and try to engage your target? I have a PVS mounted behind a scope and I leave it mounted and scan with my hand held thermal. So back to your questions...I have the tm14 mount, it's a good, stout mount, but it's tricky getting it mounted in the heat of the moment trying to hurry and get a shot, that's why I leave mine mounted all the time. Also you start getting above 4x your screwed, to much light loss. So my suggestion when you get to where you are going. Take a few seconds and get your scope and PVS focused in the best you can and leave it. It's hard to scan, mount, adjust your power and AO, then focus your PVS, then engage, and on top of all that make a kill shot. So my suggestion would be to put it behind a low power scope that you already have and see what you are actually gonna need to fit your shooting.

Last edited:
I have the HTRN system with my pvs and I can't complain. I still use the system on my 22 hornet with a 3x9x50 scope. I can scan with the pvs14 and attach the scope to the jack rabbit mount pretty fast. Loggers Inn is right on point about the concerns of the system. I do have to make a minor focus adjustment when I connect the NV back to the scope. There is some light reduction looking through the scope. I to can get about 5 maybe 6 power and it starts going South on me. I have killed several coyotes with this setup though. I like being able to scan and shoot with the same device.
Kevin at High Tech Redneck will take care of you if you decide to go that route. I had a minor problem with my NV ( just one of those electronic things that just happen) and he fixed it for me with no problem. I'm not a spokesman for HTRN but just telling ya my experience with that system and the CS.
I think Kevin and some others use a 2.5x ? x 50 scope when using the system and say they have no problem. You can YouTube HTRN and watch some actual hunts with that system.
I, like Loggers, eventually just kept the NV mounted and scan with thermal. They can hide from NV but not from thermal.
If I remember correctly, there was some discussion about some that use a fixed 4x or 6x scope with good results.
Just my opinion but hopes it helps ya.

Last edited:
I read a couple older threads about the pvs setup. I think Im going to use the milspec mount that gman uses since I will be leaving it attached at all times. I've looked all over for a fixed power 6x scope with a 50mm bell but I don't think theres one out there. I think i'm going to try the weaver 2.5-10x56mm with 30mm tube and AO. Thanks for the replies guys.

So, I got the pvs mounted up tonight and I am having trouble focusing the crosshairs with the target. I can get the pvs very clear but the crosshairs seem to fade out, as soon as the crosshairs come in focus the pvs goes back out of focus. Is there a certain order I should try and focus everything?

I've tried alot of scopes and haven't found one yet that gives me clear crosshairs with sharp focus.
I can still kill Coyotes after dark with it. Best for me so far is behind a EXPS3-0, G33 mag. Not much field of veiw but can focus alot sharper. Don't give up. This night vison stuff is addicting.

I usually focus in on the yote to be sure of the target then focus to see the crosshairs. U can still see him, he's a lil blurry but the crosshairs are on focus, then pull the trigger. I've been reading some past posts on this subject since I'm laid up for a few more weeks. Seems like a 50 lens or bigger is optimal, the bigger the lens let's more light in. My 44 does the job with the IR on

The light is pretty good with the eagletac, but it seems to be a fine line with focusing the crosshair and the target perfectly together maybe I will have to just work with it tonight and see if I can tune it up a little better.

I don't use anything less than a 50 on my pvs14 setup. I have used a 40 before but do not get as much light with the 40. I'm really surprised Kevin of HTRN has not chimed in yet. I just use a Nikon 3x9x50 Prostaff and have no problem. I adjust the focus to clear up the crosshairs and the coyote is still very clear in the scope. I have spoken to Kevin and he was last using 2.5 x ? x 50 Nikon Monarch scope on one of his setups.
I hate to sound stupid but, (here we go, Lol) did you adjust or does your scope allow you to adjust the ocular lens also. I adjusted it on mine prior to mounting NV and never any problems. I don't know just asking. Don't want ya to think I'm insulting your intelligence.
I mount my PVS14 with 3x lens or 4.5 x lens behind a Eotech EXPS 3.0 on my AR setup and have difficulty with the issue you are having. I adjust the focus on the coyote to be clear and my 1 MOA dot goes from a dot to a flat looking line. I adjust for the MOA dot and the line goes back to a dot but the coyote is blurry. I guess what I'm saying is I feel your pain, Lol. I adjusted the ocular lens on my NV with the Eotech and it did help some, I just have to find that happy medium and sometimes its not that easy.
I'm going to keep Eotech on my AR setup but mount ITAL IR laser and going to a helmet mount with NV. This NV thing is addictive!!!!
I would let ya look through my NV and scope setup if we were not so far from each other to compare the difference in what are systems are showing. Hope ya get it straightened out.

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnIf HTRN is reading, join in on the topic please... I've learned a lot from reading his past posts

Sorry, have been on vacation for awhile and not following the forum. I would start with making sure you have the rear diopter of the PVS-14 adjusted correctly. This seems to be 90% of the problem for most folks. Once that is set I would take the rifle out on the shooting bench and set up a target at about 50 to 100 yards. It helps if you have something available to hold your gun up for you in the shooting position. Take the monocular and just hold it up to the rear of the rifle scope and adjust the front objective lens of the PVS-14 only until the cross hairs come into focus. If the target is blurred then I would start with the paralax adjustment if your scope has one. This will correct the problem in most cases. If you don't have a paralax adjustment then start making small adjustments to the rear diopter on the rifle scope. Some scopes are more finicky than others on the adjustment of the rear diopter. Once I find the sweet spot on the diopter I mark it for future reference. Once you find the best combinatin then go ahead and mount your PVS-14 using whatever mounting device you choose. There are some scopes out there that require very little if any adjustments once you attach the PVS-14 behind the scope. This potential problem becomes much less pronounced once you have good light (half moon or better). You can also zoom to the higher magnificantions with good light. Kevin

I was beginning to think the coyotes got you Kevin
smile.gif

Thanks for all the info guys, I played with the setup this weekend and got it lookin pretty darn good. It was just a matter of focusing everything together. I also found that mounting the pvs on my upper and then adjusting the gap from my day scope to the pvs objective from 1/4" to 1/2" and so forth made a difference in resolution and the crosshairs being in focus. For the cost of the mount and the dayscope it is definitely a usable setup. I ran this up to 8x with the SPIR illuminator and was very impressed with the resolution and light transmission.

Make sure and use a IR filter 720 works well on the pvs14 will cut out chromatic abberations and give a sharper picture especially with an IR light.

From my understanding it cuts down on the visible light seen by the naked eye which is less than 720nm. For instances you won't get the blooming from house lights or security lights. Chime in but I'm pretty sure that's how it works

Yes it blocks light below the 720nm wavelength.
Lenses will bend light at different amounts based on the wavelength.
Different coatings are used to align the light to the same focal point
which reduces chromatic abberations (blurring).
Higher dollar lenses use more coatings and better glass.
The IR filter helps clear things up and also allows non NV lasers/red dot/eotechs to not over power
the pvs14.

So not busting this post...... How does a 3x magnifier and a filter hook together? Do they screw together, push together?. I've got a filter coming from eBay, and bought a 3x mag. but not sure how I'm gonna get them together... Any help

Back