Best Caliber for Coyotes?

Originally Posted By: Earnshaw343What do you guys use on Coyotes? I'm looking for a new gun but im not sure how big i want! Input?

Lordy, Lordy.

You are gonna hear everything from 22 short to .338 mag.

Good old .223 is hard to beat.

Boils down to if you want to save hides or not. Pretty hard to beat the 223, 204, and 22-250 with the right bullets if want you want to sell fur.

I would go with the 204 ruger or .243 if I was in the west for longer ranges and the 17 remington if you are somewhere you might run into some cats of foxes or where you are somewhat populated. For me, I use the 17 hmr for the close in shots and for safe shooting where their are houses nearby.
Good luck finding a common awnser.

50 bmg
wink.gif

My first Coyote that I ever shot, was with a 300 RUM. It was a very clean kill, but it almost ripped it in half. I wouldn't recommend it. Plus its not very economical to shoot.

My buddy has a savage in 22-250 and he absolutely loves it. I would swing for a savage or one of those new TC Venture. Probably the best bang for you buck in the bolt action department.

First 20-25 years all I used was a 22-250.

4 or 5 years back I switched to the AR platform and have grown very fond of the .223.

The best choice of all is the rifle you already own that you can shoot the best with. IMO there is no over kill calibers for coyote hunting.

After years of hunting for me it is the .223.

I've done some research on both of your questions. .223 and .22-250 are probably the most used to date, with the .204 also having a steady following. It really depends on whether you want the fur. You can use an old deer rifle chambered in anything 30 cal and it will work great.....just do pelt damage. As far a cheap rifles that shoot the .223 or .22-250 most people would recommend a Stevens 200 or savage axis for an inexpensive coyote gun. (Been trying to decide if I'm going to get one myself) another recommendation I've come across is a single shot rifle from H&R or Rossi. Little less price wise than the two rifles above, but again they are single shots. I'm just a beginner and that is what I have uncovered in my short period of researching. I don't have any of the rifles or calibers that I mentioned, just letting you know what the typical answers seem to be.

Best for YOU hunting coyotes? 223 hands down. PLETHORA (huge understatement) of ammunition specifically for varmints (of which all will work when used). Pretty much if it isn't FMJ ammo, use it on ol wiley. Its also cheaper, easier to find, lower recoil, less muzzle flash, and a flat trajectory for a new shooter (much better than 22lr).
My first "coyote" gun was a Stevens in 223. Bought it cheap in 2009 for that purpose. Now that range is becoming an issue, more or less me being afraid a 55 gr doesn't have the energy past 250-300 yards in windy Kansas, and not to mention the wind correction; I am switching that same rifle to a 22-250. It took me this long to truly master that rifle. Now, for something with a bit more oomph behind it.
A Stevens rifle can be found used for cheap. Or a new/used Axis. No matter if you buy an out of this world custom or a cheap Stevens with a rusty receiver for 50 bucks, don't do what I or many others do: Buy a nice scope, no matter the brand.
Seriously, so many well made and accurate rifles are out there used and new, buying a nice scope will be what you need. Its hard making due with a 24x scope that has ridiculous parallax. You want to be able to SEE your target and make an accurate shot. Its very annoying having to see a tiny spot and follow it for 3-4 minutes.

Last edited:
I still prefer my CZ .17REM for coyotes. Of the 30 or so i've shot i made poor shots on two that needed a followup. The rest were DRT. Period. No!!! exit wounds on any of them.

heres a couple no one else will tell you but im a firm believer....7.62x39mm. fired from a quality sks. fun to shoot and cheaper as well. Another round that is overlooked is the 25-06. very good trajectory and plenty of punch out to 500 yards with the 90 grain hp's. they really dont tear up a yote as much as one would think. getting to be a lil expensive to shoot. but its a round you can drop any small, medium, or large game animal in the world with and be able to preserve meat or hides. its my go-to for long range day hunting. nights i go with the sks. Dont use the 25-06 for anything smaller than a yote though obviously.

All 4 dog I have hit with .223 has spun & ran 30-60 yds. & 1 I never found. Bought a 22-250 & have shot 2 dogs & a gray fox DRT> 50 gr. pills with both guns.I hunt mainly at night so dropping is important.
As for a gun, both my savage model 11's (223 & 22-250) print less than 3/4 in. at 200 yds.!

Back