.17hmr Ammo

JTrottaNY

Opinions on the most devistating .17hmr round?

17gr Vmax
20gr JSP
20gr Hornaday XTP

Vmax's are generally an explosive little design but offer shallow penetration.

Both the JSP and XTP should have decent expansion with better penetration but at 100 yards (max range for my use) only offers 1 lb (

My 17 HMR just loves 17 g. Vmax ammo from Federal. It shoots the best hands down! I wouldn't shoot a Coyote with it, I tried and it ran a 1/2 mile before if died.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTrottaNY17gr Vmax
20gr JSP
20gr Hornaday XTP

I am assuming JSP is jacketed soft point. Where are you finding these?

NVM, I discovered JSP is jacketed spire point, which is the same as the 20 grain XTP for 17 HMR.

Last edited:
acctually CCI lists their "gamepoint" as a Jacketed Soft Point, however it looks very close to the XTP
confused.gif

0052 17 HMR HMR GamePoint 20 JSP

CB = "conical ball" reduced power/noise; FP = flat point; CP = copper-plated; L = lead; J = jacketed; HP = hollow point; RF = Rimfire; RN = round nose; SHP = segmented hollow point; SP = soft point; TMJ = encapsulated full metal jacket.

970191.jpg

Last edited:
I like the Winchester .17gr v-max personally and have killed two coyotes and a bobcat with mine. I have since got a .223 and no longer use it. I would say that your probably going to see the most damage with the .20gr hollow points.

I've had many pass throughs on woodchucks with the 20gr XTP's and Gamepoints. Such is not the case with the 17gr pills. IME the 20gr bullets are of a more controlled expansion design than the 17gr and would be better suited to bigger critters if the need arised.

Each rifle has it's own preference I think. My friend's Savage likes the 17 gr., my CZ Varmint shoots the 20 gr. XTPs best.

Mine is my walk-about groundhog gun, the 20's put them down for keeps.

my savage 93R17 BTV and TC encore both like the hornady 17 gr V-Max the best.

a fox shot at about 200 feet will have a small entry hole, no exit hole, and the fox might run 20 - 30 feet before dropping

Savage 93R17 BSEV
CCI 17gr. TNT
Fed 17gr.V-Max
Win 17gr.V-Max
CCI 20gr. gamepoint

Hornady 17&20gr.

Although all are made @ CCI except new Win.-That I have yet to try These are my findings on accuracy in order at 100 yds. Got to try em' all.
The 93 is nice BUT..... shoulda done the CZ. And will make amends in Jan.2011
PS wdchuckhuntr I am VERY jealous of your score

I have mostly killed blackbirds with my 17hmr. However I did take my hummer with me to SD on a recent PDog shoot and the first day we got in a long vally with little wind and I used the hummer quite a bit.

I shot probly 50 PDogs using 17gr vmax in a hornady loading and while it did put them down out to 200+ yds I got almost no pass throughs. the only bullets that exited were on a couple that were inside 50 yds. I also hit one in the back right in the shoulder blades at about 100yds that just splashed. it killed the rat but didnt do anything more than hamburger the shoulders.

For foxes I might use a 20gr inside 100yds, for yotes Id step up to a 55gr offering.

Jim

55 grain? I think your thinking of an entirely different caliber lol. I shoot the hornady 20 grain xtps and they perform just like a big game bullet. They retain all their weight and if you don't believe me (even I was a little skeptical when someone told me that) then just find dirty dogs post of his testing. I will post it for you if I can find it.

Back