30 cal coyote bullet??

Zion9

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting and wanted to pose a question to you all. So I just found out about predator hunting not too long ago and it sound like something I would really enjoy. I have never actually hunted anything before....my dad was always more of a fishing kind of guy..... but I really would like to try it out. The main problem I have is that the only hunting rifle I have is a savage model 99 from my grandfather in 300 savage. I would kinda like to keep the hide or have the first one mounted that I shoot...(if I make it that far) so I was curious if there were any bullets I could reload for the 99 that would not blow massive holes in the coyote. I've read two theories.....1st is to use 110gr bullets designed for the m1 carbine. 2nd go with a heavy bullet that hardly expands so you have a clean shot all the way through both sides. Any suggestions would help. This savage has been in a gun cabinet for more than 15yrs.....I really want to see what the old girl can do. Thanks

The M1 carbine bullet will go all the way through... and the dog is likely to run all the way to Hades .

Use a blunt hollow point like these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/336780/...oint-box-of-100

You can drive them slowish and they will deliver.

You will have to look around for them.... but these days, what else is new??

frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BeluebowI can promise ya a Berger 215gr Hybrid out of 300wm isn't fur friendly at 40yrds.
just guess but DRT?
smile.gif

Actually my 22-250 ai tore one up like that last weekend.

I also have a Ithaca model 37. Would it be easier to try to call them in close and use that instead of trying to reload for 300 savage? I would be hunting in Kentucky and Tennessee where you can't see for miles due to the trees and hills. Are shotguns easier on pelts though?

Close quarters (not too close) with a shotgun and buck or #4 buck is fine. I have used my M-1 Carbine with 110 gr Serria HP. The muzzle velocity isn't what you get with the larger 30 cal cartridges, but it dispatches them quickly with little pelt damage. However in a .308 with a full charge of powder and the 110 V-Max, I have put a large exit hole in a Yote. I am sure the velocity has everything to do with that.

Tom

I would just load a 150 gr soft point and go hunting. You could make a real mild load if shots will be shorter ranges (200 or less). You shouldnt get too bad of holes from a load like that.

I would just load a 150 gr soft point and go hunting. You could make a real mild load if shots will be shorter ranges (200 or less). You shouldnt get too bad of holes from a load like that.

As long as your not using a bonded or mono or fmj usually in my experience any 30 cal bullet will dispatch a song dog no problem. All the ones I have shot with a 30 cal were all drt.

Would I conceivably be able to just tone down the velocity and use average gr soft points to avoid leaving a large exit wound then?

I've seen them shot with 150g to 180g core-lofts with bullet sized holes in and out. Just stay away from shoulder shots no matter what your bullet choice ends up being.

Last edited:
Back