What's your favorite varmint rifle?

Mine would be a Remington 700VS in 223 with a 6X18 Leupold shooting a 40gr V-Max or a Ruger 77R in 257 Roberts with the same scope shooting a 85gr Nosler BT.

Mine, without a doubt is the Bob Green Customized Browning Micro Hunter he built for me in 17 Ackley Hornet. It has literally killed hundreds of varmints, groundhogs, foxes, coons, crows etc. But it looks just as good as it shoots, just a little extra benefit.

This was an October groundhog, number 153 for that year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: RePete

Couldn't prove it by me. The last build I did was a 222.
It's not my "favorite varmint rifle" though (I can't choose just one) but it rounds out my stable nicely and shoots 52SMK's into itsy bitsy groups.

004nzc.jpg

Darn Charlie, everytime I see that stock I think I may have to get one like that for my 222. I am going to have to load up some bulletss and shoot it, maybe mine will like those 52gr bullets too?

Thanks Dan,,, I forgot all about this thread.
That rifle really turned out to be a "gem" considering it's factory barrel roots.
I had Luppy install a CDS dial and worked up a drop chart earlier this year. Boy do those 52grainers drop like a stone LOL.
I might try some 40BT's next summer. (Course,,, I confus myself enough with only one drop chart so I might ought'a just leave well enough alone
crazy.gif
)

Sonny,,,, It's nice to see that old Browning again.
The action's a little hard on the eyes but those A-Bolt Hornets are another one of the real "gems" in varmint guns. Especially when you screw a 17cal barrrel on em.

Originally Posted By: NewKid
my long range gun 6 dasher
Does the wife know you had that dirty old rifle on her table
laugh.gif
?

Just giving you a hard time. The dasher is quite dashing
whistle.gif

Phillip,

This is a Terry Leonard longrange BR stock .This is my second leonard stock which he is well know in the BR crowd .What makes this stock interesting is it had 3 different types of figure in the blank .Checkerboard as some call it basket weave, fiddleback and some burl the bottom is carbon fiber . Terry Has about a year wait on his stocks.

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Corey how is it going ?
Lol does she know No and shhhhhhhhhhh . We didn't make it over in the valley this year .Infact I just got this rifle in Sept from Bruno and I just got the XP barrel back from Vai's in Texas .I decided to try the brakes on the XP pistols . Did shoot 1 coyote in the soybean fields along the driveway . And I saw my second coyote crossing the driveway this past week . Did ok with the groundhogs this year considering a lot of the land was planted in corn . Good to hear from you . Take care and tell your Mrs Hello .

Jim

Of all I've used over the years i'd have to say my 17 FB XP-100. It now wears a 2.5-8x Leupod LER scope and has shot less than MOA to 425 yds.--

Been really getting into this Magnum Research Picuda though lately for PD's. Believe it or not this rig can reference 600 yds. at 130 MOA maximizing the optic for that range using Burris Sig. Zee rings +/-20 MOA inserts and shimmed (70 reticle, 60 turret)--

This old 6.5-284 XP-100 was nice too and accounted for a bunch of coyotes in its day--

Pair of deuces... Remington 600 .222 and Sako L461 Vixen .222

This'un's new, but has already vaporized some prairie dogs...
grin.gif
Sako AII .22-250

Ben

I love the 17 hmr for my needs. I use it for under 200 yards and you cant shoot anything that far for that cheap! I use the xtps for the yotes and foxes and gamepoints (for faster expansion) on squirrels (both tree and ground) and groundhogs.

Ruger 77VT,220 Swift with a Bushnell 6500 series tactical elite 4.5x30x50.Another of my favorites is a Ruger 77 tang safety standard barrel 220 Swift with a 6.5x20x40 Leupold.

This one is quickly becoming my favorite. It's a Ruger 77/22 hornet rebarreled to 17 Hornet.
null_zps5581e498.jpg

null_zps87c0c8de.jpg

This one has been around a little bit longer and used QUITE a bit more. Ruger 77/17mach2
DSCN5274.jpg

Nothing like nice rifles and dead varmints!

Less than 400...my Cooper M21 .204 shown with Chuckzilla.

Over 400...700 in an eight twist .243AI.

Nice group, K9!
thumbup1.gif

I like my collection of Sakos and Dakota Predators. Grizz
Here is one of the Dakotas in 222 Rem

Custom 22-250 Rem built on a Sako AII action, Lothar Walther barrel, McMillan Sako style varmint glass stock, Schmidt & Bender 4-16 X50 Long Range glass in Conetrol mounts.

Back