Night eyes vs. coyote light

wildshooter

anyone here own either of these lights or have experience with one or the other or both. Im looking to get one of the two and my questions are these. Is the coyote light really ALL that, And for the price, which one is really the better value. Id like to hear about identify ranges on both sides and not just from salesman. Im sure this topic has been brought up but i still feel like im only seeing sales peoples inputs on the subject. Sorry to affend any salesman,i just have a hard time trusting them, but business is business

Yes sir I own the night eyes scanning light and gun light both I can run my scanning light for 8+ hrs on a single charge and can pick up eyes at 250+ yds. And the gun light is just as awesome. Yeah everyone talks up the coyote light but I just don't have that kind of cash to drop on a light so for my money and great customer service the night eyes light are my choice.

I too own both of the Night Eyes Lights, scanning and gun. I have never looked back after purchasing them. I have picked up eyes at well over 300 yds on a dark night with the scan light set at a little over 60-70% and confidently identified the animal at 200 yds with the gun light, I would not feel right shooting any further than that at night. I have never had to switch out batteries on either light on a single night of hunting. I carry a spare one just in case but have never even had the low battery warning blink.
I have never actually used the Coyote Light but I have seen it demonstrated and there is no doubt in my mind that it is a very good product, most of the sponsors on here all have good products and services, but for the price I would not even hesitate to pick up the Night Eyes combo package. Joe has excellent service and will work with you if you are not completely satisfied.
Good luck with what ever your choice maybe!

Yes, to clarify the below post, I am in no way a sales rep of the Night Eyes, I have no vested interest in the products. I just believe in them so much that I asked Joe if I could help spread the word on them. I really believe in his products and thus my signature below.

Last edited:
Wildshooter,

The first two posts are not from any of my salesmen, they are customers that purchased my lights and were impressed enough to want to represent them.

I know your looking for customers opinions so I'll make this short. I received a new order of lights two weeks ago that have even brighter LED's than before. The lights are built solid and I have only had a few minor repair issues. I have not received any complaints about the performance or our lights. I will make you this offer, if you are not completely satisfied I'll refund your money and pay for the return shipping.

The newer LED are in the gun lights
Joe

Last edited:
^^^^sounds like a good offer I'm happy with my night raid by predator tactics only down fall didn't come with pressure switch to mount on fore grip.

I know if I ever come into the market night eyes would be in my top two coyote light not so much but just cause of price

Ok Joe your site just sold me on the head lamp will be ordering soon I hope its as good as it sounds.....I'm kinda excited about it

I don't have either of the Night Eyes lights, but I'm sure they are good lights from what most people are saying. Also pretty sure the Wicked Lights and even the Noxx Lights are good as well. I do have the XLR 100 scan light and the XLR 250 Kill Light. Both of those are the red led's. I've killed quite a few coyotes with them during the past two years and they haven't given me any trouble at all. Batteries are still good as well. I'd say I can honestly ID at about 150 yds with the 250 and about 75 to 100 with the 100 but of course it is my scan light, and I have picked up eyes with it at 400 yards on several occasions.

I do have the Coyote Light and I've killed a few with it this fall. It is a strong light and with completely variable intensity and throw, it will be hard to beat. Of course it is a lot more money as well. It recharges very quickly. I really like this light, and while I haven't been using it that long, I'm pretty sure I can identify at 250 consistently night in and night out. It is a little larger and heavier than the other lights, but mounts very solidly and comfortably on the rifle scope and doesn't make the rig feel ungainly in any way.

That's about as honestly as I can tell you.

I'm actually disappointed in my red xlr100 I think your scan light should have more range for picking the dogs up before they are in kill range which kill lights are for idk I might be crazy please correct me if I'm wrong

Scan lights are purposefully not as powerful as the gun lights. All the scan light is supposed to do is pick up their eyes when they're coming in. As I said, my xlr 100 scan light has picked up eyes at 400 several times. The xlr 100 would be adequate as a shotgun or rimfire kill light since one would be limited to about 50 yds with the shotgun and 100 yds rimfire. It is really hard to tell exactly how far a light will identify an animals body because the amount of moon or lack of any moon has a lot of effect as well as atomospheric conditions. Plus I'm 66 years old so my night vision probably isn't as good as it once was when I was younger. I've been able to identify and kill several at 150 yds with the xlr 250. I did kill one at 315 yds this fall with the xlr 250 but she was barking at me and I just shot the eyes.

I think the coyote light is a very nice package , but they kinda priced it to high . they would have sold a lot more units if the price was lower . you can get by a lot cheaper with the current Led light packages out there from this site.

DoubleUp said:
I do have the Coyote Light and I've killed a few with it this fall. It is a strong light and with completely variable intensity and throw, it will be hard to beat. Of course it is a lot more money as well. It recharges very quickly. I really like this light, and while I haven't been using it that long, I'm pretty sure I can identify at 250 consistently night in and night out. It is a little larger and heavier than the other lights, but mounts very solidly and comfortably on the rifle scope and doesn't make the rig feel ungainly in any way.

That's about as honestly as I can tell you.[/quote

^^^^^^^ I completely agree. The Coyote Light is amazing. It's built like a military scope. Very durable. You can reduce the intensity as well as change the shape of the beam. I also agree it's expensive but much cheaper than night vision.

I've owned both the Wicked lights 400 and the XLR250 and I think they both sucked for hunting. Very dim, batteries didn't last long enough for a nights hunting, and could not identify a coyote past 50 yards. But I have old eyes so your experience may differ.

I wish I would have purchased the Coyote Light right out of the gate, as I wasted plenty of cash on the other 3 lights I purchased. With all due respect to all the other lights, light manufacturers, and sponsors, every light I've owned & every other light that has been used by other hunters with me has been, to be honest, laughable in comparison to the Coyote Light. Yep, it costs a bit more, but you get what you pay for. It is 3-4 times more powerful & it adjusts down to nearly nothing for skiddish critters shying away from a strong light. 2 lights in one really.

I look at it this way, all the time and money I put into a scope, rifle, time at the range, time driving to and from hunting locations, and ammo, isn't it worth it to top off your rig with the one thing that is going to allow you to see more critters clearly when it comes time to shoot?

well said. that is why i am doing some research this time around. i purhcased both the primos 100 yard led varmit light and the 300 yard unit at the same time. Thought i had something, first time i went hunting with them they sucked. I gave them away. Then just started using my 600 lumen powertac e5 which is a white light and scanning with a stanley 5 watt flood light that has a variable output switch that i put a red lens on and works pretty good at scanning but a little bulky. the powertac is white and i have shot at some coyotes within a 100 yards with it and it lit them up like daytime but as soon as the white light came on they started running so the one i got was running. I have sense been sitting in my deer blind and a couple of times a coyote and bobcat came by and did not want to shoot and ruin my muzzle loading hunt so i experimented with shining a red light on them and they acted like they did not even notice it. flipped on my powertac which i was using to get around in the woods with in the dark and they took off like a bat out of you know where. So convinced the red is the way to go but taking some time off from hunting due to my son is a head basketball coach and just taking my time looking at everything that is offered. have to admit it has been a pleasure the one time i talked to boondock outdoors and leaning toward what he sells just because of the way he treated me like i was a regualar customer but just trying to find out how the varmit light etc. he sells compares to the sniper hog light which i have seen on this site and in person and it was very impressive. but like you said, why spend a bunch of money and time on your rifle and scope setup and then try to get by with as cheap as you can on the light which is a big part of the whole package. may have to start looking at that coyote light. just can not mount a light on top of my scope since i use a smith and wesson mp15 that has the front iron site and everything i have tried lights up the sight just enough you can not see out of the scope with a light on top and the coyote light is for sure too large to mount on a side rail.

Last edited:
Coyotelight its not to large to mount on a side rail at all. Just weights about 9 ounces more than most other lights.

here is a side by side pic with the VRL-1

You would just need a picatinny to picatinny rail adapter to make it work.

From our two years of testing and tweaking the longest we have been able to get eyes on a fox has been 800 yds and 500 to identify. Now let me be clear these were under perfect conditions with great optics and great eye site. There are now plenty of unbiased owners of the coyoteLight that will speak for us as to the distance capabilities of our light. We will also be posting plenty of videos and pics in the near future that will back up the testimonials. For me personally the value of long distance identification helps with false calling non target species, knowing your back drop, and knowing the demeanor of the approaching animal. This allows you to alter your calling or prepare for a shot while they are to far away to pick you off.

Thank you Kevin2

i personally have the Night Eyes scan light AWESOME & i as well have the Coyote Light AWESOME.....each obviously has its purpose and r both QUALITY PIECES........good luck with your choices.

Kevin as you know I own the coyote light and have used it in many different night skies. I can see eyes farther than I would want to shoot at night and I can identify the animal at distances farther than I am willing to shoot at night. The light works great. Best scan light on the market!!!! Just my 2 cents!!!!

Back