NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: remmy1187Hornady website has the Heavy Magnum Coyote BB. 1.5 oz load of BB loaded in their Versalite wad, which looks like the Flight Control wad, at 1300 FPS. Don't know if it is available yet but looks worthy of a test run.

When Hornady first advertised the Heavy Magnum Coyote round, I noticed there was no mention of buffer. I contacted Hornady and confirmed they do not use buffer in any of their shotshell rounds. The Heavy Magnum Coyote round then depends on a high antimony pellet core, nickel plating for pellet lubricity and the Versatite (Flite-Control) wad for tight patterning.

I have not yet tried this ammunition and so cannot comment on how it patterns.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: Rich Cronk A pattern the size of a grapefruit would require very precise aiming, and a coyote that stands still long enough to make the shot. May as well carry a rifle I think.

Flight Control works best with little choke constriction.
The pattern spreads as distance increases.
At long range, the ability to penetrate becomes a limiting factor in killing efficiency.
More mass gives each pellet more potential for deeper penetration.

By using a larger pellet you increase the range that sufficient penetration can be achieved.
By using the Flight Control wad, you increase the distance that sufficient pattern density can be achieved.
The overall result is an increase in the effective range of the platform.

For people wanting to extend their shotgun range beyond traditional limitations, FC seems to be a step in the right direction.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

If you can get 15 rounds off with a rifle in a quarter of a second, on a moving coyote, and achieve a group of this size, for less than $.80, then use a rifle.

buckshot6.jpg

-------------------------
At what range did you shoot that pattern? I see that the point of impack was a few inches to the right. This would result in a miss or a wounded coyote running off.

Originally Posted By: Rich Cronk
At what range did you shoot that pattern? I see that the point of impack was a few inches to the right. This would result in a miss or a wounded coyote running off.

This was late in the range session and I was flinching a little. It was my error.

The point is that tight patterns of # 1 buck may increase the effective range of a shotgun.

That shot was at 45 yards. I have already posted a dead coyote at 60 yards with the same load. I didn't flinch and the spread and penetration got him.

Obviously in the real world, I am 1 for 1 (shots/kills) with this load.
In your theoretical world I am 0 for 1.

I am past theoretical argument and looking for real world results. If you choose not to participate that's fine by me.

If you want to load up your shotgun and give it a try, then I'd be interested in hearing about your results.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: 22catI see that Black Gold Chokes is offering an extra extra tight turkey choke for the flight control wads. for my browning bps they offer a 660 and 670 choke. that is a restriction of 83% and 73%. Im not so sure Black Gold knows what they are doing.

What is the bore size of that BPS?

I think its "suppose" to be 743 or 742

Hummm... .072" constriction is an awful lot of choke constriction even for turkey loads. And for coyote stuff loaded with BB or larger it is a whole lot of constriction. The Flite Control wad complicates that even more and if it is tungsten shot - wow.

Yup that's why I said I don't think they know what they are doing. but who knows. maybe they know something I don't although I believe it is just one of them gimmick products

Originally Posted By: WedgyThis stuff would do the trick better than any factory stuff if you want to do the loading. At 17.5 grams/cc it's way denser than even Federal Heavyweight(15g/cc). Depleted Uranium is 19.1g/cc
The .189" pellets are on sale. For comparison BB shot is .180" and BBB is .190"
http://www.tungsten-spheres.com/inventory.html#shot

That would be over $5.00 per shell just for 1-1/2 oz of shot. At 17.5 g/cc there would not be very many pellets per shell if they are that close to BBB in size. It would be a deadly load though!

The Fedral Heavyweight #2 15g/cc shot works great on coyotes and there is just over 90 pellets per 1-1/2 oz shell.

Derbyacresbob, what kind of range are we talking about with the #2 heavyweight for coyotes ? 90 pellets is quite a pattern. I have used it for geese and it has some impressive kills at long range.

Originally Posted By: WedgyDerbyacresbob, what kind of range are we talking about with the #2 heavyweight for coyotes ? 90 pellets is quite a pattern. I have used it for geese and it has some impressive kills at long range.

I don't really know for sure past 50 yards, 50 yards and less they work good. Last year I shot a coyote running straight away from me at 30 yards or so and the coyote was dead instantly. When I went to check out the coyote I was was impressed with the Federal Heavyweight #2 shot. The coyote had three exit holes in it's face with brain blood running out of the holes.

Just to give you an idea about the Fed Heavyweight 15g/cc density compared to Rem HD 12g/cc, Rem HD #2s has over 120 pellets in a 1-1/2 oz load and the Fed HW #2 shot has about 90 to 92 pellets per 1-1/2 oz load. These pellets are very heavy for their size.

I've read through most of this thread a couple times and haven't seen many responses on how the Heavyweight is performing on critters.

Does anyone have any updates to the Federal Heavyweight and choke combination as to how they perform?

I'm looking around at different chokes to use with the Heavyweight load and have about decided on the Carlson's Sporting Clays Improved Modified. Any opinions?

I just received 100 rounds of the Hornady HM coyote BB shells. I will pattern them with different chokes ASAP and hopefully have some feedback on how they perform.

Houser,
The constriction is about right but if that is a ported or wad stripping choke it might not be compatible with the Flite Control wad Federal uses. In fact, I would give the factory flush mount chokes a try before springing for an expensive extended choke. And if I did decide to go for an extended choke there are chokes from Kick's, Pure Gold and Indian Creek (and maybe some other companies also) that are expressly designed with the Flite Control wad in mind.

Originally Posted By: GCHouser,
The constriction is about right but if that is a ported or wad stripping choke it might not be compatible with the Flite Control wad Federal uses. In fact, I would give the factory flush mount chokes a try before springing for an expensive extended choke. And if I did decide to go for an extended choke there are chokes from Kick's, Pure Gold and Indian Creek (and maybe some other companies also) that are expressly designed with the Flite Control wad in mind.

GC,
I had seen where a non ported/non wad stripping choke is recommended for the flite control wads. The Carlson's Sporting Clays choke I was looking at has neither one.
I would try the flush chokes but I don't have any for my 870, all I have are extended turkey chokes. If I can find my son's 1187 chokes I'll try them first.

Thanks

Carlson's makes a great choke! Check ebay, they are usually very cheap on there brand new. I've bought several for my 1187 and benelli's and they were all right around $30-$35 including shipping, brand new in the package.

Originally Posted By: BBKCarlson's makes a great choke! Check ebay, they are usually very cheap on there brand new. I've bought several for my 1187 and benelli's and they were all right around $30-$35 including shipping, brand new in the package.

Thanks. ebay had the cheapest I could find and they were $38 for the bright finish. Didn't see any blue/black on there.

Its waterfowl season! They are very popular for us duck hunters. If you hit it just right (after waterfowl season and before spring trap/clays) you will be able to pick up chokes real cheap.

You might want to take a look at this one if you ever want a good choke for when you are not shooting flight control or hornady's version of that wad. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLSONS-12-GA-E...=item20dae76f25

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Houser in NC
I've read through most of this thread a couple times and haven't seen many responses on how the Heavyweight is performing on critters.

Does anyone have any updates to the Federal Heavyweight and choke combination as to how they perform?

I'm looking around at different chokes to use with the Heavyweight load and have about decided on the Carlson's Sporting Clays Improved Modified. Any opinions?
This was a 52 yd pattern through a modified RemChoke.
The purple coffee can lid is 6".
My POI was a little high.
52yd.jpg

I had pellets pass through this kitty @ 30 yds. DRT.
p1010042d.jpg

I had good results on a number of coyotes out to 50 yds.
One thing was clear- this load requires less follow up shots to put them down and keep them there.
I hit this one inside 20 yds and the Flight Control wad stuck in his neck.

p1010123h.jpg

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66Originally Posted By: Houser in NC

This was a 52 yd pattern through a modified RemChoke.
The purple coffee can lid is 6".
My POI was a little high.
52yd.jpg

I had pellets pass through this kitty @ 30 yds. DRT.
p1010042d.jpg

I had good results on a number of coyotes out to 50 yds.
One thing was clear- this load requires less follow up shots to put them down and keep them there.
I hit this one inside 20 yds and the Flight Control wad stuck in his neck.

p1010123h.jpg

Thanks for the info. My 870 has an 18" barrel too.

Looks like your choke and Heavyweights are working out great for you. I like that combination.

Houser let me look around here, I probably have some factory Rem-chokes laying around somewhere. If I can find a couple I would be happy to send them your way if you want?

Back