Calling Sequence

I am new to coyote hunting and just purchased a FoxPro Wildfire 2. I would like some advice on what calls to run in a sequence. I have been starting with the coyote locator for a few minutes and then changing to the adult cottontail. Should I go to a third of fourth call? How long should I let each call run for? Do you run say the cottontail for a few minutes then shut it off and wait? Any advice would be appreciated. I did call in 2 the first day out running the coyote locator, but I was waving the transmitter over my head trying to control the call and they saw me. (had the call in some weeds that I found out inhibited the signal)

You may call in more coyotes if you do not start with the coyote locator sound.

I use distress sounds most of the time and let the sounds play continuously. Lightning Jack, Jack Rabbit Distress, Adult Cottontail, DSG Cottontail, Bay Bee Cottontail, Snow Shoe Hi Pitch, Prairie Dog Distress, Adult Rat and Vole Squeaks. All of these sounds work great for me and there are no Prairie Dogs anywhere near the areas I hunt.

I do raise and lower the volume during the stand.

Playing Coyote Pup Distress 3 on full volume for 3 or 4 minutes at the end of a stand has also called in quite a few coyotes for me.

for some reason lately.. early december.. ive been having good luck using pups in distress followed with juvenile and adult racoon distress and going back to pup distress... repeat as necessary... only as a night call though. during the day cant go wrong with any rodent distress

Last edited:
"Starting off with howls ensures you will scare all subordinate coyotes away."
--------------------
Not entirely true. I think that barking is a no-no most of the time because the less aggressive coyotes may perceive the barks as aggression. I prefer friendly sounding howls most of the time.

For what it's worth, Randy Anderson always says that starting with howls increases success 50%. I'm not sure I agree. From the coyotes that I've been able to see before I started to call, I've seen more run from the howls than come to them. I'm interested to see what others say about it.

Everyones experince is always different, but I'm not so sold on the howling will "scare off subordinate coyotes"...I usually always throw a howl in my stand,and have called a good handful of youngsters out doing so.
Coyotes are very curious..espically juveniles...so when I'm making it sound like a coyote is getting it's butt whooped after i howl..curiosity usually wins over the naive caution.
This is some ways can be a huge advantage,as the coyote will give you time to get a good setup on them, if they think another coyote is there.However they are glued in on any movement and proper concealment/wind is key.
Nothing wrong with sticking to just a basic distress sound..but with a youngster coyote,odds are they will come blowing in at mach 2 and jump right on top of you..not giving you a solid shot(unless a shotgun is in the lap)
As for as Ol' wiley who has heard all the distress sounds...he is on RED alert when he hears but doesn't see any rabbit.
I think the only way to get Ol'Wiley sold on anytning..you have to challenge his territory!
Of course there is also that "model coyote" who will come trottin in..give him a bark,and bang WHAP thud...
Good luck

Pay close attention to what Rich Cronk posted above. If you are concerned that you'll scare off subordinates with howls, be sure to use a non aggressive howl. Do it with an open reed call which will make it sound more like a pup. If a subordinate is scared by a howl, most likely he has had his butt kicked by a dominant male, so you sure don't want to sound like one.

Here's something that everyone needs to consider, going on the internet professing how great howls are is a bad thing. Every newbie will be howling his head off azzing up coyotes all over the country. Learn about howls before using them. If you don't you are way behind on the game. 98% of the time rabbit is going to do the trick. Only certain times of the year are coyotes real territorial and aggressive to intruders. Most guys calling season isn't one of those times.

howls can be very tricky! i would say a person really needs to study what howls are what before just going out there and throwing out a series of howls! throw out the wrong howl and alot coyotes will not come. 99% of the time they dont run from a baby rabbit screaming. sometimes just making it easy is the best way.

at times coyotes howl all during the day, but not most the time. how many times have you heard a coyote howling besides at daybreak or sunset??? no reason for it if that isnt what they do naturally. this time of year you can stack them up with just simple distress. rabbit will do you fine.

Originally Posted By: joblo37For what it's worth, Randy Anderson always says that starting with howls increases success 50%. I'm not sure I agree. From the coyotes that I've been able to see before I started to call, I've seen more run from the howls than come to them. I'm interested to see what others say about it.

yea i bet he said that right before advertising his new howler for sale!!

Fwiw I have called in more coyotes starting off with a couple howls before starting on distress sounds. I hunt public exclusively for coyotes and im sure they have heard just about every distress sound there is. I think the howl seems to put them a little more at ease for when I start the distress. With that being said I dont try to make my howls sound like the biggest and baddest coyote out there. Always try to sound like a juvenile.

Originally Posted By: jglynnOriginally Posted By: joblo37For what it's worth, Randy Anderson always says that starting with howls increases success 50%. I'm not sure I agree. From the coyotes that I've been able to see before I started to call, I've seen more run from the howls than come to them. I'm interested to see what others say about it.

yea i bet he said that right before advertising his new howler for sale!!

I know. That's what made me skeptical. I do like that I am more likely to get answer howls/barks when I start with vocalizations. I suppose that doesn't mean anything if they don't come in, but I like knowing they are there.

I made 2 stands on Dec 1st and 2nd. Called in a single first stand with a lone howl that took less than a minute. Granted he very well was just on the other side of the hill. None the less, dead now. Next night I was walking in to a stand and seen a bobcat track. So when I sat I tried 8 minutes of snowshoe with nothing. Dark was coming fast so switched to hurry in a coyote. Played lone howl again and 2 young coyotes come sprinting in, shot both of them and then a third coyote coming running in from opposite direction. Now were they coming to rabbit distress? The long lost mystery that will never be told. Distress sounds just don't seem to work in my area.

Back