too much tree

1chopper

i just worked my 7 mo walker/blue cross on a few barn mousers. i worked him for the first time about a month ago when the snow was deep and when i let it out it went right up. he saw it and treed his heart out. when i got it down he made short work of it. i thought "wow i finally got a tree minded dog". well i let one go for him today and as soon as he couldn't sight chase he started looking up every tree in the woods. he saw it up one about the same time it fell out and that ended that. (he's got grit i'll give him that)
so i went and fetched another one to let loose. this time it was a full grown one and i let it loose with out the dog seeing it. when he hit the track he ran around barking with his head up and looking up every tree agian. he never did really run the track just barked here and there then seemed to hunt around, this time with his head down, for quite a while.
i have had a few coon dawgs in my day and now mostly run cat. the dogs i have had i always had to work on the tree to get them to tree good.
i don't think i will work this dog on treeing at all as a good cat dog needs to be sure so he does not come up short on every blow down and brush pile in the woods. i'm not real sure where to go from here. if i keep working him on barn lions (which don't run very good) i'm afriad he will be too tree happy. i was going to run him on cat and coon only but thinking about calling in some greys for him to teach him how to run a track. (probably throw my old dog in there, he runs about anything but deer).
any ideas or anything you fellers think i'm doing wrong? i just never had one this tree minded before.
jim

Back