Have you killed a groundhog/PD with a .25-06?

I've got a Tikka in 25-06. Right out of the box it will shoot under 1" groups with factory ammo at 100 yards. Will blow a prairie dog out of its hole and send it helicoptering thru the air easily at the distances you referred to.

I have a savage model 12 in .25-06, and although the trigger is horrid, it shoots fairly well. I used to shoot 90 grain Winchester Positive Expanding Points, but they didn't always seat well in my rifle, so I switched to the 85 grain Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips, which shoot very well (about 1 to 1 1/2" at 100 with my bad trigger. The ballistic tips will make prairie dogs disappear into a mist, helicopter, pop up in the air, and do all kinds of other fun things. Shot a pretty good sized jackrabbit with it at about 150 yards, blew its entire torso apart. Great round.
BWB

Pelt Trasher,
Savage rifles will give you great out-of-the-box accuracy and years of service. A .22-250 will give you great performance for varmints.

However, a 25.06 is a great round for varmints, deer, pronghorns, black bear and caribou. Plus, it has the same ballistics as a .22-250, but with twice as much lead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif An excellent choice! I know several guys that have 25.06 rifles and NONE of them have any regrets.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

25-06 with a Nozler 115 grain CT bullet verces a prarie dog at 180 yards! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Prarie dog put up a messy fight this afternoon!
But he lost anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been shoting a 25-06 for many years. on every thing from PDogs to Elk you can't go worng for an all round gun. for PDOGS try a 75gr V-Max and 58gr of imr-4895 smoken*** as for a gun I shot a Ruger 77 tang safety it has a 26" Med. heavy beral and if you piller bed and a triger job it will shot .5 to .75 groups @ 100yds. thats as good as my kimber 22-250

Man that brings back memories of chuck shooting in Western MD back in the '80's. I used to have the ugliest wood-stocked Eddystone you ever saw in .25-06 with a 29" bull-barrel of some-odd make i picked up at a pawn shop in Baltimore. Only one of us could ever have seen any value in that rig. I had a big old Unertl 20X 2" on it and man it was really cool. Whoever put it together didn't do a very good job with the stock, but somehow i got lucky and it shot good groups with Sierra's 90 gr HPBT, and 75 gr. HP's. But if i was to do a .25-06 again I'd punch that 100 or 115 gr. Nosler out lickety-split. Those bullets should just start to perform at 400 yds. out of that case.

I have had my Rem.700 bdl 25-06 since '79 and killed everything from groundhogs,javelina,to deer.The 87gr.hp's are very,very "humane"on crophogs.Shot it on a Texas hunt a few years back 400yd.doe with the 120 soft point.250-275yd.head shot javelina both folded where they stood.[AND MAN DID THEY TASTE GOOD].I put my 16xleupold on it to target practice in the vastness of Tx..Shot 3 boxes of 100gr soft points.Could hit paper plate at 600yd.once sighted in.I'd love to see one of the crophog hits on video. From the look of things when I get there it must have been awesome!! You will not ever regret a 25-06,and the bullet selection is much better now.I'm just now getting ready to start reloading.So far as factory ammo my old school Rem.700 shoots them all well.MIKE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I shoot a Savage 110FP .25-06 with a n Answer Systems muzzle brake, Sharp Shooter trigger. I load a 75gr. v-max bullet in front of 57.5gr of Re19. Win brass and WLR primer. Have shot several hogs with it over the past 3 years, really tears them up.

I have a Rem 700 25-06 HB and shoot 75gr. V-max bullets. Does anyone know of a bullet manufacturer that makes 60 or 70 Gr. bullets.

MG

I do not know of anything lighter then the 75gr for the "06". The 75gr is already too light if you want to do long range shooting; they will start to tumble at range. I love the 75vmax for explosive close range shooting, but have found that a 100-110 boat tail is a much more stable round for my long range taste.

Rem 25-06 Sendero, stainless fluted

Pelt Trasher....My main predator rifle these days is my 25-06, but when you speak of taking critters at 400 yards or further out on a regular basis , well lets just say that is another chapter in marksmenship.....most haven't gotten through that chapter yet! Many variables to contend with the task of making hits out that far.

I use the Nosler ballistic tip in the 100 grain and it is very accurate out of both my 1/4 bores.
One being a model 70 Winchester feather weight stock, real handy toting rifle with light weight barrel. The other is a Remington 700 with custom stock as well as custom stainless bull (painted) barrel and Harris bipod (not the lightest for hauling around, shoots groups under 1/2 MOA) rock steady when set up.

I don't shoot anything lighter than the 85 grain bullets out of my 25-06's. They bring velocity specs up to near the 3400fps and that is plenty of speed.

I have used several different weight as well as brands of bullets on deer size game, but have come to the conclusion that the 120 grain Nosler Partition is the one to use in the 1/4 bores for game the size of deer or small black bear.

I wouldn't leave out the .243 or 6mm Remington at those ranges either.....there both suited for the job, more so than most hunters are shooters are capalbe of making hits on targets. I use the 70 grain Nosler ballistic tips for varmints, P-dogs and ground hogs under 200 yards and the 95 grain Ballistic Tips for reaching that 350 yard marker and beyond.........They work well on ground hogs too!

The deer end of things brings about the use of the 100 grain Nosler Partition in the .243 or 6mm Remington at this shack in the Heartland Hills and gets a gold star for doing so. Good Luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Longest prairie dog to date was a MEASURED
700 yard kill on the Rosebud in South Dakota. No, I'm not that good, I had a GOOD spotter. I also was not the first shot. With the help of my spotter I was able to walk the shot into the p. dog. Rifle is a .25-06 Browning A-Bolt shooting Hornady 117 gr. soft points. 6.5-20 Leo scope. Great fun!!!

I have a Sako 26-06 and had a Ruger No.1 also. have killed dozens of groundhogs with them. Great round longest kill shot 600 yards on groundhog. Taken several whitetails and a antelope.

Back