best way to camouflage gun from glaring

mountain luke

I need ideas on how to camouflage my gun for coyote hunting.
Thinking about wrapping gun with camo wrap. If so can I wrap the barrel or is that a no no.

I sanded the bluing off and spray painted mine with high heat flat paint and a lot of flat clear on the barrel. Holding up really well so far.

I simply sit in the shade when possible. Works for me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mountain lukeI need ideas on how to camouflage my gun for coyote hunting.
Thinking about wrapping gun with camo wrap. If so can I wrap the barrel or is that a no no.

What finish is on your gun now?

Wrap on the barrel is no no for me. It will hold moisture under the wrap next to the barrel steel.

FWIW, camo is not really needed on a coyote rig unless it is chrome or polished stainless.

smokeless, finish on my gun is just the typical Remington model 700 (clear-coat wooden stock and standard black barrel. wish I would have shopped around and bought a synthetic stock to paint or one already factory camo.

Krylon make a line of flat paint for camo painting your stuff. If you don't like the results lacquer thinner will take it off.

i really dont think a shiny gun will hurt you in the field, at least not with deer or elk, possibly with coyotes, but not really big game. Im more concerned with the 500 sq in of blaze orange i am made to wear.

The camo is more for you than the coyotes. I have killed more dogs with blue jeans and a Carhartt coat or shirt with a old Remington 700 gloss blue rifle than any other way. If you want the look then go for it, but it is not needed unless your coyotes have "code talkers".

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: mountain lukeI need ideas on how to camouflage my gun for coyote hunting.

What finish is on your gun now?

Wrap on the barrel is no no for me. It will hold moisture under the wrap next to the barrel steel.

FWIW, camo is not really needed on a coyote rig unless it is chrome or polished stainless.

The Vet Wrap is much more forgiving in reference to moisture. I use it of snowy hunts. Otherwise, no worries on camo. I barely wear camo clothing anymore.

I only wear camo when hunting. But only because it keeps me from trashing my good clothes.

For cheap wrap you cant beat the stuff in the pharmacy at walmart. Same stuff as the hunter branded stuff but 1/4 the price.

Coyotes aren't supposed to see in the same color or light spectrum as us, so what we use for camo is pretty much for us. One of my yodie guns is a stainless 22-250 that so far hasn't seemed to bother any game, just me if i let it flash in the sun light.

Being a old fart i remember when everybody simply had on red flannel coats, more game came home then than now.

Vet wrap, vet wrap, vet wrap. I don't use it so much for camo, but for quieting noises and protecting my more spendy rigs, I even wrap a couple that are already Cera Coated FDE just to help keep the finish from getting chipped up. $3.99 a roll at the local ranch n home store, one roll will do 2 guns. If it gets super wet and you're worried about rust... just take it off when you get home, if you do it carefully you can even reuse it(it's a pain to reuse, I just buy several rolls at once) If you put a super light coat of oil on your metal parts before you wrap em, they won't rust under it any way. We get a lot more rain than the Seattle area around here, and I've had downpours and/or super wet snow almost every time I've been out this year. I just pulled the wrap on my blued rem 700 (thought I should double check since it has seen so much moisture) and it looks branded new. Plus it's way nicer to hold the grippy vet wrap that an icy barrel or stock, even when wet. I've been doing this for the last 5+ years with ZERO issues, except Ranch n Home keeps sending me ads for horse tack now...

Last edited:
well I am a long time very successful archery hunter for big game and I have learned that animals that cant see as we humans do (deer elk bear lion etc) can see shiney things easily. Its engrained in me to be completely concealed. prob not a big deal for yotes, but I still have to camo the gun, It bugs me. keep the ideas coming, I love this stuff.

Mutt and Dan can I wrap the barrel from end of barrel to over the stock all the way to the action or will that cause permanent damage to rifle some how. I am not very savy with guns.

Originally Posted By: mountain lukeMutt and Dan can I wrap the barrel from end of barrel to over the stock all the way to the action or will that cause permanent damage to rifle some how. I am not very savy with guns.

No damage, but it may change how the rifle shoots. Don't wrap it to tight over the barrel/stock area. Make sure you shoot you rifle after.

Back