savage Axis 243 youth...for my son how are they

champ198

can you guys tell me about the Savage axis guns. im looking for one for my son in 243 youth model for deer season next year and thought i would ask you all how good they are.
i have had a savage model 12 in the past and it was a nice gun but i dont know alot about the Axis guns. what can you tell me about them.

My Friend bought a Savage Axis XP Camo Rifle in a .243 Caliber with the Bushnell 3x9x40mm scope combo,very nice shooting Rifle that groups well and is affordable,I liked it so much that I bought myself the same Rifle only in a .223 Caliber for a light carry Predator/Coyote Rifle.It comes Factory bore-sighted and I had it sighted in within a box of 20 bullets shooting tight groups at 100 yards with Hornady 55 grain V-max bullets!Both these Rifles cost ran in the $350-$375.00 range when caught on sale!

The plain Black Synthetic Savage Axis will cost even less without a scope package and You can drop a little more money on a nicer scope scope & rings,some of the Savages have the Nikon Scope Packages and may be a better quality but the Bushnel I have on mine is pretty decent.A few complain about the heavier trigger on the Axis but I haven't really had any issues...You can change out the spring or have a better trigger installed if that concerns You?

There's also the Ruger American Rifle (Black Synthetic) that runs from around $320.00 to $400.00 depending on where You can find the best deal?It has an adjustable trigger and You have to add a scope!

Last edited:
I was reluctant to try the axis thinking how can such an economical rifle be so good. well I was pleasantly surprised how good it can be. the trigger is the one thing that needs work, with a spring change and a little stoning it can be very good. I bought a 223rem standard and a 243win youth model, the youth model works good for me when wearing heavy clothing when calling. I have had good groups with the 243 using 58grvmax and 100gr sierra pro hunter. spike

I like my axis in 22-250. It doesn't need any thing from the factory but scope rail because it doesn't adjust far enough back for me and cut a coil or so off the factory spring. Bone stock it will shoot 1moa all day. That being said I am a tinkerer and it will soon have a boyds stock, timney/rifle basix trigger and a vortex diamondback 4x12. I was thinking about getting one for my son in 223 so he can start going calling with me.

thanks a bunch everyone that helps a lot. seen them at wally world in just all black for right at 300 so im going to try and get one for my son.

I bought my wife an Axis youth in 7mm-08 and I tell you what it flat out shoots. I changed out the trigger spring and did a little honing and the trigger is smooth and light. I wouldn't hesitate in recomending one that's for sure!!!!

I have one in 25-06, it shoots very well. It's easier to shoot well after a little trigger work. I ended up getting rid of my other 25-06, which shot well, and kept the axis.

Bought one for a friend of mine in 22-250. Put a bushnell HD 4-14x40 scope on it,...it shoots bug holes at 100 yards with 55 grain Sierra blitz kings and 35.3 grains reloader 15. Heavy trigger though

The trigger can be tuned by a smith or by the owner if he has a bit of knowledge. Now that Boyds makes a laminate stock for $100, it is more attractive. Typical Savage accuracy in a flex stock and heavy trigger, but you will not find a more accurate rifle anywhere near the price. I bought a left hand Axis in .270 with my employee discount and immediately tuned the trigger. It is very accurate.

Back