Whitewater rafting/ duck hunting

i have been wanting to go float the river and hunt ducks. so yesterday i got my small raft out, it is an 11x19 jacks plastic cataraft. while carrying the raft to the put in, i spooked 3 mallards, would have been a really easy shot. having never floated for birds, i was a little unsure of how to go about it. so when i shoved off, i had my SBE2 slung over my back. within 100 yards, i had 2 ducks in the rocks just below some whitewater, but they were on the highway side of the river and i thought if they took off i would have to shoot toward the road. i didnt even unsling my shotgun. they took off, went out over the river, upstream right past me at about 30 yards.
now i realize that this will work, and that i need to be ready. within another 100 yards, i spot a few more ducks again just below some whitewater, i had my gun across my lap while rowing to keep pointed straight in the rough water. the ducks lifted off, circled upwind and upriver presenting a perfect shot. i aimed at the lead drake, and fired. the drake folded and another duck hit the water but was still alive. the 3" magnum shot echoed off the canyon walls so loudly that i hesitated taking a second shot. i rowed the raft over to the one that was still alive, it was a hen and i grabbed it an set it between my feet. i continued rowing and caught up to the other one and grabbed it too. the water wasnt too rough, but rough enough that a good wave could wash the ducks off the boat so i opened up the oar tether and put it around their necks.

the next group of ducks took off about 100 yards out, and the next group after that were on private property so i was done for the day.
next time i will put on higher upstream, it is class III water so i might have to take my bigger raft that will allow me to not have to row at all times in the rough water. it also has drop bags to store dead birds in.

Back