6x6.8...Updated 11/25

In my chart everything is loaded to 2.270" unless I noted it by specific loads.
I first checked my COLs on all my 6mm bullets w/my Hornady tool, then tonight rechecked my 65g vmax bullet and to the lands in the P3 barrel its 2.255", NOT the 2.287" I originally wrote down at my reloading bench, meaning I was jambing the bullet.
I was running loaded rounds through my gun and had 2 bullets get pulled out which told me the COL was into the lands. Now Ill have to recheck my 65g loads at 2.250"....darn it.
The 58VM/ZM w/ 31.5g 8208 at 2.260 - 2.270" runs 3422fps in my 22" bbl, but failed to group as I wished.
I also noted that after 7 loads on my 6.8 brass I have to use a SB 6.8 die to tighten them up as about 3 out of ten rounds will not chamber 100% when loaded w/the redding bushing die and run through the gun to check them. So now I added another step to my sizing. Maybe I should of just went with the 6mmDTI after all....:)

Thanks for the info on the chamber length. I had a bullet pull issue with my 20PRAC before I bumped them back a bit. Maybe you should recheck the 58g max with a different COAL as you listed the lands at 2.255 but your loads at 2.260-2.270. Just a thought. I'm starting at 2.230 and working up from there. My longest load so far is an even 2.250. I'll see how they run and go from there I guess. I plan to shoot Friday morning in the cool crisp desert air before the wind starts. Thanks for taking the time to post all your findings though. Helps out guys like me that have a place to start or reference to.

The 58g vmax is 2.294" to the lands after double checking my bullets I use, so they are good at 2.270. I ran them from 2.230 to 2.270, and 2.270 shot the best groups, but still not tight like I like them overall.

That's interesting. I hit the lands at about 2.265 with the zmax and load them to 2.260 and the vmax lot I have hit the lands a bit sooner. I loaded them up to the same length as my zmax since they are supposed to be the same but those loads tend to take a bit more force to close the bolt. I then went back and checked with my length gauge and found that they start sticking in the lands at about 2.261-2.262 and then I need to pop them out with a cleaning rod.

Have you thought about trying some small primered brass? The Remington with the LP's does cause some pressure and performnce issues from what I have seen.

Greg

Greg,
I have not used any SRP brass yet, have not got my hands on any.
Still looking to get some later IF I cannot find my perfect LRP load.

Idk if it will make a lot of difference. Im getting good accuracy with my rem brass but I dont know if I will buy more of it. Have to wait and see how many firings i get and what brass is around when i need more.

Last edited:
Back