Re-Loading 22WMR pays big!

Smokeless

I decided to play with some rimfire reloading recently and found dramatic improvements.

Factory Winchester white box [22wmr] 40gr hp,s had 5.7gr of a fine ball powder and were fairly consistent in charge weight. Muzzle velocity from a 24" barrel was around 1850fps. accuracy was around 1.5 inch at 50yds.

Factory powder was increased to a max of 7.0gr and 2165 fps. No accuracy test was done. That is a 300fps gain though!

Lil'Gun and H-110 were also tested with 40gr V-Max, factory 40gr hollow points, and 50gr Hornady sx's.

I was able to settle on H-110 with factory 40gr hp's at 2275fps and groups right at 1" at 50yds.

The 50gr Hornady sx bullet could be seated deep enough to work with the factory magazine if the led tip was filed off [1.335 oal] H-110 was able to produce 1905fps and groups right in the 1" area from a CZ American 455.

It still is no Hornet, but for close called in cats it should be heavy medicine!

I'm still playing with it. Factory Hornady 30gr V-max were 2400 plus fps and group very well. The gains I was able to make were 400fps over factory 40gr though and that is something worth while.

Oh and the Federal 50 were 1570fps from the 19" CZ while my reloads with 50gr Hornady sx's were 1900fps
grin.gif

Just sharing my experience. have fun and be safe!

******* WARNING *******

I am no expert. Just a regular guy who likes to tinker. You should not try this unless you have done your own research and feel comfortable with playing in the unknown. When in doubt, don't do it!

Last edited:
Wow thats some good improvement. Are you buying new brass or pulling bullets? My buddy was messing around with small rifle primers and was actually able to reuse them, but not worth the hassle.

Back when I was shooting silhouettes, the stud primos were pulling the bullets on 22lr and replacing them with another higher quality bullet, don't know if it was 224 or hornet bullets. Just a vague memory. I wouldn't doubt that they added more powder as well. Anything for an edge to win a $10 trophy.

Smokeless---
What can you do with the new 17 super magnum??
You might be scary. !!!!!
Been working with H110 and Lil Gun in 22 tcm
Great post to think about
Thanks
We have some rim fire only areas here ---

Last edited:
Smokeless:

As no one else has posted this, let me be the first to say it: Your "reloading" of the 22WMR is NOT a good idea!

Your post indicates no knowledge of what exactly the factory powder is, nor do you indicate how you determined your "maximum" "factory powder to 7.0 grains."
Neither do you mention how you are correctly re-crimping the lead bullets once you have pulled them, nor how you are seating them for that matter.

You may have dies, but you don't mention that....(as opposed to a pliers and hammer].

You do not mention use of pressure equipment or over-load indicators, so one presumes the over-pressure test is when the action fails.

Some new reloaders may infer [wrongly] that this is an acceptable practice.

If you are actually set up to make your own 22 WMR cases with primer mix, have form/seat/crimp dies, and preessure test protocols, please declare. And offer a disclaimer for others who do not.....

Pretty neat ,Smokeless !

BS, There is info posted everyday,that you don't get all the info.

** WARNING ** I just typed this after deer hunting and before that I ate a big turkey dinner ! I'm kinda sleepy......
tt2.gif

Point taken, Buckeye.

Pressure was checked for with a rim thickness gage and visual check for flattening and swelling of the rim and base.

Dies used were a collet style bullet puller and 22 Hornet seat die.

A special pulling sleeve was made from a 45acp case drilled out and stepped to accept the 22wmr case and support the rim when pulling bullet. So a 45acp shell holder was used for pulling bullets.

Seating was done with a 25acp shell holder.

No rocket engineering was used. Just common sense guided by experience.

I don't ever suggest that what I do is safe for anyone.

I have shot these loads in two different rifles and it was safe in them, but maybe not in yours. If your not comfortable with it don't do. That goes for all of reloading.

Also I would add that I went up in .1gr increments on charge weight. pressure will go up fast when close to the top.

Originally Posted By: Smokeless
Also I would add that I went up in .01gr increments on charge weight. pressure will go up fast when close to the top.

And just how do you measure one hundredth of a grain?

Just wondering?

JD

That's definitely taking the hobby beyond the commonly known universe. There was a time when those who did what we do routinely now were pushing the envelope...and look at us now. Not a danged thing wrong with it. When it goes wrong, it's just data gathering (as long as nothing's destroyed or damaged) and when it goes right then it's data gathering and accomplishment.

Forward, Bro---with due caution, of course.

Smokeless, you are da man! I have loaded 17 HMR before the factory developed it, problem was on testing it that the published max SAAMI pressures were exceded for the cartridge. Chances are that Little gun will be your huckleberry.

Note: these over pressure loads will tear an auto up, even though we shot them in a custom HK semi auto custom chambered in 17 HMR till the scope mount fell off the rifle.

GREAT POST!

Smokeless:

Thanks for confirming your tools and methods.

The clarifications you responded with are well worth knowing initially (and not later) especially for the learning benefit to novice reloaders.

Many writers here can improve their original posts by establishing the context surrounding the "what" of their activity.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessI sure wish you could still buy primed cases for the 22wmr.

Heck yeah that would be nice. I wished you could buy 22lr blanks before the rim was put on them too!

Thanks a bunch guys. It really is worth while.

I read somewhere that Calhoon 37gr bullets will seat deep enough to run through the magazine. May have to try them.

This is not cost effective for prairie dog shoots, but will work handy for close called critters.

I use pull CCI +V bullets and replace with 35gr. V-maxs! I got 2,265fps. out of those suckers! I called the guys over at OSSI they made the Coyote killers in 22 magnum and they told me how to reload the 22 magnum +Vs. Never had any proplems.

Back