PVS 14 Problem

TCS

I need some help from the PVS 14 experts.

I finally got enough saved up to purchase my PVS 14. I've had it about 2 weeks, only used it an hour or two maybe. Just playing around with it around the yard trying to get used to it and what not.

Anyway, the other day it starts having an issue. First indication is it won't turn on...so I change the battery and put a fresh one in. Doesn't help. I can hear the whine of the power supply but no light in the tube.

Keep trying and it finally fires up, but randomly the image goes dim or even totally dark. It's happening a lot, like every 20-30 seconds. Also I notice a hot spot around the edge outside the image that stays hot even when the tube goes dark.

Try it again last night, it does it a few times then all of the sudden stops. I used it for like a half hour trying to see if it would happen again and it was totally normal. Even the hot spot on the edge is gone.

Thoughts?

I'm 90% sure it's not some sort of physical damage. This thing hasn't been used out of my sight except 1 time for less than a minute when a friend of mine took it into a dark room to try it out. I don't think he would have dropped it or anything and not told me...plus I can't find any cosmetic signs of trauma. I was all ready to send it back to ITT for a warranty claim and now all the sudden it's not doing it anymore.

Yes it has a warranty. I purchased it brand new. Shipped directly from ITT. I'm just hesitant to open a claim now that I can no longer replicate the problem.

Do yourself a favor and physically check the battery with a digital volt meter to make sure it's above 1.5v

I've put brand new batteries in that have powered but did weird stuff with the tube. Tested them and they were just below 1.5v and apparently no amperage support in cold conditions for the battery. Lithium is best in cold weather.

Mine was doing that, but I had it on a j-arm mounted to my helmet. The screw was loose that holds the PVS to the j-arm. It has a auto-shut-off when u flip the j-arm up causing a loose connection... Just an example in case it happens to anyone.... But im with Spartan1, try a new battery first. That would be an easy fix

But did you measure the voltage of the batteries. I'm telling you I have seen a lot of [beeep] batteries these days. Brand new industrial big name stuff as well

Didn't check the voltage. My multimeter [beeep] the bed on me unfortunately. First battery was an energizer industrial. Second and third batteries were rayovak industrial that came with the unit. One of which is in it and working now.

Back