300 yard zero 22-250

Joshysquash81

I'm currently shooting Hornady Superformance 50 grain v-maxs at 4000 fps. If I set my zero at 300 yards its 2" high at 100, 3" high at 200, 6" low at 400 yards. Even if where I hunt I cant shoot to 300-400 yards do you see any reason why I shouldn't do this? I may not be able to shoot 400 yards at all the places I hunt but I like knowing I have a flat shooting rifle to 400 should I ever need it.

He'd be so close to dead on at 60 he wouldn't have to think about it. I say do it, just hold about a third up on the body out to 300 and you'll be good. Use a rangefinder out farther and know your trajectory.

Looks good for elk(kidding). Like said, if you know where it's supposed to hit then go hunting.
Is that projected data or actual target confirmed.
for me the 3 high at 2 hundred would be the weak point

i used to zero all my rifles the same. big game rifles at 3" over at 100 yards, and predator rifles the same. but i was having problems with coyotes in the 150 yard range, shooting over them. i then changed my zero, and put the bullets at 1.5" high at 100 yards. i dont miss them due to trajectory at mid ranges anymore. still puts me only 7" low at 300 yards. but when a coyote is at 300 yards, usually there is a little more time to estimate the hold over, than to estimate hold UNDER when a coyote is at 175 yards.

it depends on the animal being hunted for the maximum point blank range.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeIt's way easier to hold over than under for me. I'd run no more than 1.5" @100.

about where I am...I typically go with a 200 yard zero. Just what I am used to.

Of course, there is no replacement for honest to goodness testing at any range you wish to engage game. All the math in the world won't compensate for poor shooting...

I can almost guarantee you that you're gonna shoot over coyotes with a 300-yd. zero. I set the point blank range system for my rigs for no more than 3/4ths anticipated target size. There's too much room for error for a 3" high maximum ordinate (highest point of trajectory) on a coyote-sized target.

Lets see how good of a group you can shoot at 300. I have found it can be real hard to find the center of a group at that range to know whether to move the crosshairs. Get it real at 100 then move the target to 200 and then 300, 1.5" at a hundred, will put you so close at 200 and then you can still brag about those 300 yard shots you hit now and then. Unless you just have a fine crosshair you should be able to learn holdovers for those longer shots.

And then I don't know that I have ever heard of a military marksman that sites in at 300 and they shoot at much longer ranges than we do.

Unless you are shooting at something so far away that the bullet has to cross international borders to arrive where you want it to arrive, a 1-1.5" elevation holdover at 100 yards will suffice for all normal hunting purposes.

I'd question the proposed drop. I don't think those are accurate. There's no reason to sight a hunting rifle in at 300yds. This is a post over thinking a scenario. I think you should go shoot those distances and find out where your gun shoots.

Last edited:
Yeah this is projected data, after thinking it over I think Im going with either a 250 or 200 yard zero. I'm just getting ahead of myself I've been so busy at work that I haven't even been able to shoot my new rifle yet haha.

Originally Posted By: Joshysquash81I'm currently shooting Hornady Superformance 50 grain v-maxs at 4000 fps. If I set my zero at 300 yards its 2" high at 100, 3" high at 200, 6" low at 400 yards. Even if where I hunt I cant shoot to 300-400 yards do you see any reason why I shouldn't do this? I may not be able to shoot 400 yards at all the places I hunt but I like knowing I have a flat shooting rifle to 400 should I ever need it.

I tried this method, shot over a lot of animals. What worked better for me was to sight in 1/2" high at 200, then aim at the top of their backs at 300. In the field, it is hard to tell what is 300, but there you go. Use your scope's reticle on the 400, but it was darn few and far between shots that long for me.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: Joshysquash81I'm currently shooting Hornady Superformance 50 grain v-maxs at 4000 fps. If I set my zero at 300 yards its 2" high at 100, 3" high at 200, 6" low at 400 yards. Even if where I hunt I cant shoot to 300-400 yards do you see any reason why I shouldn't do this? I may not be able to shoot 400 yards at all the places I hunt but I like knowing I have a flat shooting rifle to 400 should I ever need it.

I tried this method, shot over a lot of animals. What worked better for me was to sight in 1/2" high at 200, then aim at the top of their backs at 300. In the field, it is hard to tell what is 300, but there you go. Use your scope's reticle on the 400, but it was darn few and far between shots that long for me.

what size groups do you and your gun shoot at 200 yds in a hunting situation? My guess is that they are big enough that your 1/2" high is irrelevant. Again, poor thought process.

Back