Does anyone have a Howa lever action?

Mr. Mister

I was over on gunbroker and saw a 454 Casull in a lever action (based on a Winchester Mod. 94) by a maker I don't know.

The maker is Howa who apparently also make Rossi hand guns out of Spain.

I like Marlin's for they're quality. Do the Howa lever actions come close?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,
There is no such thing as Howa lever action. Howa is made in Japan. Rossi is a company in Brazil, not Spain, and is owned by Brazilians. Rossi lever action is not at the quality level of Marlin, but it is also cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Howard

Howard, is halfway correct. The Howa lever action is made by Rossi and imported by Legacy Sports under the brand name Howa. Legacy also imports the Howa bolt action line. The Howa 454 is a copy of the Winchester 92 which is the strongest of the Win lever action designs. I don't own a Howa 454 but plan on getting one in the near future. I have looked at several and read lots of reviews and they have been good. Be sure to get the model with the HiViz sights because the original ones had trouble with sight adjustment. Not knocking Marlin but they don't have an action strong enough to take the pressures of the 454 Casull which I believe is 63,000 psi. The present Marlins can only handle about 45,000.

I have a Legacy Sports(Rossi) in 45 colt for Cowboy Action Shooting. I have had it for 4 years. I am not shooting hot loads, but I love mine. In fact I am looking at buying another for a back-up. The Marlin is better made and I might buy one of those also, but if you want a 92 action in 454 don't worry. Mine has served me well and is my favorite cowboy long gun.

Sam,
The Legacy website misled you.

The lever gun, Puma, is manufactured by Rossi of Brazil. The Howa is made in Japan. Howa is a Japanese company and does not have any holding in Rossi be it part or whole.

Legacy is the importer of both Howa and Rossi products. Legacy put together the website and it is rather unclear the way it is presented.

Howa was previously imported by Interarms. Before Interarms it was imported and branded as Mossberg 1500 and Smith & Wesson 1500. Howa never made any lever action rifles. The only rifles Howa exported to the US have been the bolt action 1500 and very few copies of the Armalites AR-180.

Howard

Last edited:
All I can say is that I bought one of those Rossi/Puma 92 in 454 casull and after one trip to the range it went back and got traded in on an Marlin. What a piece of junk! Rough feeding. Now if you must have one and don't get lucky, be prepared to get an action job on it....

Back