Shotgunned 3 coyotes, live pictures and a video!

derbyacresbob

This morning I started calling at 6:20 am about 1/2 mile from the rancher's house.

I was sitting next to a juniper with my Foxpro fury about 15 yards out in front of me. I had my shotgun in my hands and my 22-250 sitting next to me.

Before I started playing Bay Bee Cottontail I heard a coyote challenge barking about a mile away.

Bay Bee Cottontail had been playing for about 10 minutes when I noticed a coyote about 35 yards away standing still looking right at my Fury and FoxJack decoy.

So I slowly raised up my shotgun and shot the coyote. Foxbang switched the sound to Coyote Pup Screams and I let that play for a few minutes. Then I played Male Coyote Challenge 4 for about 1 minute. Then I switched to Coyote Pup Distress 3.

After playing Pup Distress 3 for about 3 minutes on full volume I was about ready to quit the stand when I saw two coyote ears heading up the ridge towards me.

It ended up being a big male that was upset and ready to fight. When he got downwind of my Fury he was about 25 yards away, he turned to leave so I put him down with my shotgun.

008-4.jpg

Getting two coyotes on the first stand of the day is a good thing!

The next stand I made is a great spot. I set the Fury about 15 yards from me down a pretty steep hill. I had my Contour Roam Video Camera about 4 ft above and behind the Fury and FoxJack decoy.

I was sitting in the shade of a small tree with my shotgun in my lap and my camera in my hands.

I started out playing a Blacktail Fawn sound and then switched to Bay Bee Cottontal after about 8 minutes or so.

I was watching the brush and tree line that was about 80 yards below me. I had my camera in my hands and was holding it in fron of my face just a few inches under my eyes so I could see over the camera.

Then I noticed a coyote in the shade of the brush and trees straight down below me.

011-3.jpg

This is where I first saw the coyote.

015-3.jpg

Here is the same coyote heading up the hill towards the Fury and FoxJack decoy.

023-4.jpg

Getting closer!

025-3.jpg

I was starting to get excited right about here.

032-2.jpg

It is pretty cool to see these pictures after taking them. While the coyotes are heading in to my caller I am looking through the camera and concentrating on getting the pictures, so I don't remember much about what the coyote is doing on it's way in.

029-3.jpg

034.jpg

There is the Fury and FoxJack decoy.

037-Copy-1.jpg

A split second after this picture was taken the coyote turned and haulled a$$ down the hill. So I grabbed my shotgun and missed the coyote on my first shot.

045-1.jpg

But I didn't miss the coyote on the second and third shot.

Here is the video.
http://s148.photobucket.com/user/derbyacresbob/media/SndDecoy11-24-13.mp4.html

I made 3 more stands but didn't call anything in. It was still a great day!

Nominated for Hunt Of The Month

Last edited by a moderator:
You couldn't of had the video camera in a better place if you would of knew before hand how/where that coyote was going to come from.

Well done all the way around!

I love it when you start hunting coyotes Bob!!! Fantastic pictures! Those two closer shots with the coyote trained on the caller are awesome! One of these days you're going to have to put a doggie bone on the foxpro just to see if the coyote will take it while his nose is right there! LOL

One of the best post I have seen on this site. Awesome job on the pics and video. Looked like you reached on out there with the scatter gun. What load are you using and how far was he on that third shot?

Originally Posted By: weekenderOne of the best post I have seen on this site. Awesome job on the pics and video. Looked like you reached on out there with the scatter gun. What load are you using and how far was he on that third shot?

Thanks!

I was using 3" Rem HD Predator T shot. The second shot was around 30 yards the third shot was close to 40 yards.

Very well done, those are great pictures, and a way cool video.
what camera are you useing to shoot the stills?

As always, Bob, you tell an excellent story only made better by the fantastic pictures. I still remember and have several of the pictures that you took while we were on stand in AZ a few years ago.

Like Kelly said, you were able to get pictures and I didn't get a shot off until the coyote was getting gone.

Good stuff.

Originally Posted By: CAT DADDY COLDBob - I am in awe at the number of coyotes you can get on camera and then make dead before they get gone...
Excellent job.

Stay after them
Kelly

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerAs always, Bob, you tell an excellent story only made better by the fantastic pictures. I still remember and have several of the pictures that you took while we were on stand in AZ a few years ago.

Like Kelly said, you were able to get pictures and I didn't get a shot off until the coyote was getting gone.

Good stuff.

Thank you Kelly, Sean and everybody else for the great replies. I really appreciate them.

Back