the greatest morning EVER

borkon

Nov 5, i got busted in my stand from the buck i've been after for 3 years. he was at 6 yards but i just could not pull off the shot. he was not scared, just mildly boogered but it was enough where i figgered i'd better move the stand.
only moved it about 15 yards and left for the day.
yesterday morning, i snuck back in there. its an ideal morning spot as its on the edge of a ridge and due to the steep bank, the deer seldom get downwind with a south wind. the first deer (doe) appearead about 7:15. she was about 40 yards away but she was acting weird and her tail was wiggeling in the "flirting" way. i picked up my bow as i just had a feeling
from that moment on, the woods went into FULL chase mode. bucks came out of the woodwork. there were bucks chasing does in ALL direction of me. was watching deer to my left when i heard crashing coming from the right. here comes a 140-150ish 6x5 and he stops right under me at about 5-6 yards. i drew back and was a split second from shooting when right in front of him comes another chase and its the biggie from the morning before. he was hot on a doe and there were 6-7 other bucks chasing her too.
so i had a delema, shoot the one below me or hold off and hope the biggie comes into range.
well, i let down and continued to just watch the most spectacular chase i've ever seen. it was unbeileavable.
my head was on a swivel trying to keep track of all the bucks around.
well, the biggie never did come into range and the 6x5 moved off down the ridge and out of sight.
my hands were frozen (15*) out and i had to hang my bow up and get my hands warmed up. there were still a few bucks within 30 yards but were smalls so i did'nt care at this point wheather the spotted me or not.
had my hands in my pocket for maybe 2-3 minutes when i hear crashing coming across a frozen creek behind me and here comes what i thought was the 6x5 from earlier and he was chasing a doe coming hard. the doe came by at about 15 yards so i drew and waited for him to follow. he did and when he stopped at the top of the ridge, i shot and seen the hit was perfect.
i heard him crash after a 50-60 yard sprint. there was a 100-110" buck that seen him run/crash
h and actually walked over all briseled up and posturing to the now dead buck

found him piled up behind a big tree but was very dissapointed to see it was not the 6x5 from earlier.
however, that dissapointment did'nt last to long as i realized i just spent the past hour watching the most unreal rutting activity i've ever seen.
overall, i KNOW i seen at least 20 different bucks and most likely 25 which about 15 came under me at under 10 yards..
the wind was dead calm this a.m. and could hear mice in the leaves 30 yards away. when these chases were going on the woods were acually LOUD with crashing/grunting/bleating/bucks fighting ect.

Borkon~

Sounds like a Magical morning in the deer woods! I love it when the rut is in full swing. All it takes is a single hot doe and like you said the woods just explodes with deer! All those unsuccessful hunts are completely forgotten after a hunt like this. That is a buck to be proud of!

My deer herd is looking really healthy this year with lotsa does hanging around. I hope the same can happen to me one of these mornings. We haven't hit our peak here yet but I am starting to see lots of young bucks out cruising. Passed on prolly my biggest yet, last Saturday, he was a really nice 9pt. Then Sunday morning I rattled in a decent 8pt but passed on him too. I know something better is bound to show his face with all the does I have hanging around. Fingers crossed!

Great story and awesome deer!! I'm in SW MO and watched my first chase scene of the year yesterday evening. They do put on a show!! I'm a true believer that you learn so much more about deer behavior and are able to pick out hunter mistakes and advantages by simple observation. You may not always get the deer your after and you may eat a few tag sandwiches, but I'm constantly learning and loving the show they put on especially this time of the year..If you don't get another chance at him this year he's only going to be bigger the next !!!

thanks guys. sure was an awesome morning.
yes, that is a rub. there are big rubs on this ridge everyyear. its my favorite morning stand.
gonna get the wife in a tree for the day. she's got her eye on 4 different bucks she's chopming at the bullet to get an arrow in.
gun season opens today so all the road warriors will be out trying their best to shoot a love crazed buck standing in a field with a doe. makes me sick to be in the woods on a calm moring only to hear the "4 barrels" crack open miles away followed by gunshots
cursing.gif

good luck fellas. these next few days should see some great action
thumbup1.gif

WOW. the wife sat for 3 hours this a.m. and see 7 different bucks but only 1 biggie that caught her entrance trail and turned back before she could shoot.
she took a mid-day break and got back into a different stand about 1:30 p.m and sat till dark. at 2:45. 4 bucks came by her but to fast and furious for a shot. she said they were all "good" bucks with 1 big 10 that we have not seen before, only trail cam pics.. she watched a chase but those were all smalls with only one being a decent 8. overall, she figgers she seen 8-9 differnt bucks the p.m. sit.
she was purdy giddy when i picked her up at dark.
she only shoots to 15 yards and is VERY picky on her shots.
it was real windy from dark to dark today but both stands were tucked up close to a major thick bedding area so windy conditions don't bother the deer quite as much as more open areas.

shes pumped up for tommaro for sure.
here is 2 she seen at 2:45.
she wants the taller of the 2
grin.gif

and this was 15 miles away on different property from what i seen Wednesday morning.
she's been bowhunting for about 16 years and finally got to see alot of chasing going on.
she's seen plenty of smaller chasies but not full blown ones like today.
if the weather is decent in the morning, we may jump in the canoe in the dark and get to the very back point of our river. we set a stand there this summer. its in a killer spot but ........... we''ll see in the morning.

Last edited:
Back