Changing barrels on remington R15

ItemB

I have a remington R15 predator rifle with the 22 inch barrel. I would like to put a shorter barrel on like the 18 inch or even a 16 inch. Is this even possible and what is all involved when changing a AR15 barrel? If this is a dumb question I apologize I am new to the AR game really liking it though just wish I would have went with the shorter barrel.

Will need a barrel, gas tube and maybe handguard.
Easy change, with the right tools.
Shop should do it for about $25 in about 15-20 minutes

Awesome didn't realize it would be that easy now I just need to find a barrel. Any suggestions would like it be of lighter weight like the current R15 barrel just shorter maybe I will contact remington on Monday and see if they make the 18 inch barrel as a individual part.

Originally Posted By: ItemBI have a remington R15 predator rifle with the 22 inch barrel. I would like to put a shorter barrel on like the 18 inch or even a 16 inch. Is this even possible and what is all involved when changing a AR15 barrel? If this is a dumb question I apologize I am new to the AR game really liking it though just wish I would have went with the shorter barrel.

What about cutting the barrel off to the length you desire and having it re-crowned ? Would be cheaper then a new barrel, smith work..If so cut it to 18 inches if you can with a band-saw..

Originally Posted By: cyoteklerOriginally Posted By: ItemBI have a remington R15 predator rifle with the 22 inch barrel. I would like to put a shorter barrel on like the 18 inch or even a 16 inch. Is this even possible and what is all involved when changing a AR15 barrel? If this is a dumb question I apologize I am new to the AR game really liking it though just wish I would have went with the shorter barrel.

What about cutting the barrel off to the length you desire and having it re-crowned ? Would be cheaper then a new barrel, smith work..If so cut it to 18 inches if you can with a band-saw..

This sounds like the ticket to me. I looked into this on a bolt gun once. It was less than $200 I think.

Or just buy whole separate upper.

M
Originally Posted By: DmcgeeOriginally Posted By: cyoteklerOriginally Posted By: ItemBI have a remington R15 predator rifle with the 22 inch barrel. I would like to put a shorter barrel on like the 18 inch or even a 16 inch. Is this even possible and what is all involved when changing a AR15 barrel? If this is a dumb question I apologize I am new to the AR game really liking it though just wish I would have went with the shorter barrel.

This sounds like the ticket to me. I looked into this on a bolt gun once. It was less than $200 I think.

In most cases a smith will do a re-crown for around $40 !!!!! Cheaper then a new barrel .

Or just buy whole separate upper.

I think cutting it down you will be in the flutes on the barrel. Just get. Black hole weaponry barrel and have at it. If your new barrel has the same gas system you won't need a new gas tube. Ou can use the gas look either wy

yes u will be in the fluting. i got a 22incher and would love a shorter barrel and will probably look into a 18inch this summer. that way i can run 556 rounds too

Hey all, I'm contemplating swapping out my 24" for something smaller. Thinking of going 16-18". I know there are tons of options but I'd love to hear from someone that has done this on this rifle and can provide details on which barrel, block, and hand guard have worked best. Interested in saving weight but primary use is a "yote from the house" setup. Thoughts??

Originally Posted By: cyoteklerOriginally Posted By: ItemBI have a remington R15 predator rifle with the 22 inch barrel. I would like to put a shorter barrel on like the 18 inch or even a 16 inch. Is this even possible and what is all involved when changing a AR15 barrel? If this is a dumb question I apologize I am new to the AR game really liking it though just wish I would have went with the shorter barrel.

You may run into functioning problems if you go this route. The gas port diameter is optimized for the length that the barrel left the factory at. Cut it, and you'll probably need to open up the gas port in order to get the gun to run properly.

Back into the fluting shouldn't matter. R15 flutes are more cosmetic than functional anyway and having a hex shaped muzzle would be neat. Gases function the rifle after the bullet passes the port and the bullet leaves the barrel in a very short time-on the order of micro seconds I reckon. Don't see how shortening the barrel would affect gas pressure enough to be a concern- but I haven't ever tried it.

Thanks TnTnTn, I was thinking a swap is the better bet, but maybe I'll bring it to a local gunsmith and see what they say. There are soooo many options it's mind boggling. Was trying to eliminate a bunch of research and pick up a combination that works well from others input/experience.

Originally Posted By: j8bensonyes u will be in the fluting. i got a 22incher and would love a shorter barrel and will probably look into a 18inch this summer. that way i can run 556 rounds too
HUH?

Originally Posted By: j8bensonyes u will be in the fluting. i got a 22incher and would love a shorter barrel and will probably look into a 18inch this summer. that way i can run 556 rounds too

Two weeks....

Originally Posted By: C.JayOriginally Posted By: j8bensonyes u will be in the fluting. i got a 22incher and would love a shorter barrel and will probably look into a 18inch this summer. that way i can run 556 rounds too

Two weeks....

Nope, not even that long. It popped up in reloading, already...

I got it you just send them to me pick your barrel if in stock with who i order through will have it in 3 days and 15 min later it will be in the mail back to you lol problem solved i like BHW and a phew others can even change the caliber if you want

Changing out the barrel by yourself will involve buying a few specialized tools if you don't already have them, so add that to the cost of any barrel work...Unless you are a machinist and have those tools and knowledge regarding crowning barrels, you will run into problems cutting it yourself...

Changing out a barrel is a fairly simple operation if you are equipped for it, otherwise you run the risk of damaging the upper, as well as having a really poor shooting firearm...

If you can find the barrel you want, take it to a competent smith and pay to have it changed...otherwise, buy a new upper and sell your old one...There are some fairly good deals that come up on the internet if you shop around and are not in a hurry...A high quality barrel and the cost to change it will run about the same as buying a moderate quality, ready made upper...

A few years ago I picked up a very inexpensive complete upper for a low cost AR build for $335 and was pleasantly surprised to find that it shot almost as well as my high dollar competition upper...While I doubt that it will hold up to the extreme shooting that I have done with the competition upper, it won't be used in that manner anyway...But for hunting, it's great..

Inexpensive Upper:

Back