LEUPOLD RX-1000i TBR Rangefinder questions

p5200

I just received an early Christmas present so I'd have it in time for opening day of rifle season starting Saturday.I was wondering if this would be good enough/ accurate for hunting white tail in SE MO? We don't get any really long range shots around here. Anyone else have any experience with this particular rangefinder? I'll be using a Tikka t3 Deluxe in .270 Win. Using pet hand loads only bullets I could find were 150gr. Hornady SST but they shoot great in this rifle from the bench at 100yds. Thanks for all input!
smile.gif

I can't speak specifically about the TBR version as I have the older RX-1000. I used it elk hunting Saturday through Tuesday. On Sunday I was able to range tree stumps out to 900 yards during the late afternoon. During the mid-day when conditions were brighter it seemed limited to 700 yards on tree stumps. That seemed like pretty decent performance on a non-reflective target.

My experience with MY .270 is when I sight in at 2" high at 100 yds. lets ME shoot deer out to 250 to 300 yds & doesnt require ME to rely on another piece of equipment to further confuse ME about the shot.
I'm just a simple guy but am productive when I keep it simple. MY advice is practice shooting & take advantage of ANY available rest.
YES, I do have a range finder that is useful in practice for ranging points where I'll be hunting.

Originally Posted By: Bob Tobergte My experience with MY .270 is when I sight in at 2" high at 100 yds. lets ME shoot deer out to 250 to 300 yds & doesnt require ME to rely on another piece of equipment to further confuse ME about the shot.
I'm just a simple guy but am productive when I keep it simple. MY advice is practice shooting & take advantage of ANY available rest.
YES, I do have a range finder that is useful in practice for ranging points where I'll be hunting.

Or in other words when YOU zero your 270 rifle at 225 yards it allows you to shoot deer at 250 to 300 yards without need of a range finder(2in high @ 100 = 225 yd zero)
grin.gif
. What if the deer is at 350 instead of 300? Not everyone can judge the difference but your bullet drop goes from 5.5 inches to almost 12. A laser rangefinder might make the difference between a hit and a miss or even worse an inhumane kill.

Yes it does Mr. Nightvisionary.
"What if the deer are at 350 instead of 300."
Well, I reckon I could make adjustments on that if I deem it neccessary. As far as me making an inhumane kill more then likely I wouldnt shoot at it if it that far.
I'm not saying a rangefinder is useless. Its, IMO, just something that could cause you to miss the oportunity of a shot while fooling around with it.
I thank you for your very informative input but I'll just do it my way.
I hope you don't think I'm inhumane [beeep]. I shoot enuff to know when to shoot & when not to.
Thank you for judging me. NOT!

Originally Posted By: Bob Tobergte Yes it does Mr. Nightvisionary.
"What if the deer are at 350 instead of 300."
Well, I reckon I could make adjustments on that if I deem it neccessary. As far as me making an inhumane kill more then likely I wouldnt shoot at it if it that far.
I'm not saying a rangefinder is useless. Its, IMO, just something that could cause you to miss the oportunity of a shot while fooling around with it.
I thank you for your very informative input but I'll just do it my way.
I hope you don't think I'm inhumane [beeep]. I shoot enuff to know when to shoot & when not to.
Thank you for judging me. NOT!

Does anyone use a rangefinder in the manner you describe? Maybe but I have never seen it. I typically use it when Im sitting on clearcuts to make a mental "Rangecard". No "Fooling around" involved. I range terrain features or landmarks then I know what holdovers I will need to use if any. Judging distances accurately on a clearcut half a mile wide on the side of a steep moutain side can be very difficult.

Originally Posted By: Bob Tobergte My experience with MY .270 is when I sight in at 2" high at 100 yds. lets ME shoot deer out to 250 to 300 yds & doesnt require ME to rely on another piece of equipment to further confuse ME about the shot.

There ya go.........;-)

[/quote]
There ya go.........;-) [/quote]

I guess we are in agreement there although I think it's also important to be more familiar with the actual zero on a hunting rifle. Anyway to answer the OP's original question if it will range tree stumps at 700-900 yards it should do just fine for deer at any reasonable distance.

I first learned to shoot properly in the Marines so I suppose we do have something in common. Now comes the apology for hijacking a thread. "Sorry bout that!"

I have the Leupold RX-1000i TBR DNA. From my experience it will range boulders, trees, hill sided, and other field targets:
Under 500 yards: always
500-600 yards: almost always
600-700 yards: usually
700-800 yards: sometimes
800+ yards: only in very good conditions

As with any laser, you need to hold it steady at distance, and the target reflectiveness makes a huge difference.

I really like mine and find them easy to use and highly accurate. I agree with DD.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI have the Leupold RX-1000i TBR DNA. From my experience it will range boulders, trees, hill sided, and other field targets:
Under 500 yards: always
500-600 yards: almost always
600-700 yards: usually
700-800 yards: sometimes
800+ yards: only in very good conditions

As with any laser, you need to hold it steady at distance, and the target reflectiveness makes a huge difference.

Back