Called us a ND cat!

doggdown

well ill keep this as short and simple as I can for I am not much of a writer.
Me and my calling partner have been calling dogs for years and have only been to our ND badlands once to call. His dad had drawn a mule deer buck tag out there and had been camping a week already of our 3 week season. So we decided to head out and do some calling, maybe even give him a hand finding his buck. drive in late Friday night and basically get set up for the morning hunt and unpacked. we head out a bit before sunrise to do a lil locating like we always do. id say we got no more than half way there and I forget my wallet which has my license and suppressor papers in it so we decide it best to turn around. We got about a mile away from camp when he noticed eyes in a ditch on my side (passenger). after a lil looking and a flashlight we see it a nice size cat. after creeping along in the truck we notice he/she is not afraid one bit of us and stay on the ridge next to the truck. after a few minutes we lose him but talk about the situation all morning. We decide to let him sit in that area and do a few sets for dogs. About 2 hours later we make our way into the last stop we saw the cat. Never calling for a cat we tried a few defferent sounds with nothing. to give you an idea we are on a really steep hill with very little veg to hide us but best vantage point. basically sitting a foot apart. we put a line down the middle and he had right...I had left. after a half hour we started the lion sounds. at the 45 minute mark with my partners head looking left I notice the cat just peeking out of some trees. my exact words were " DONT F%$#@ING MOVE! THERES A CAT TO YOUR RIGHT" I told him its your shot man so grabbed my binos and said ill tell you when to raise your gun when hes not looking. after two moves he was on him and not 3 seconds later BOOM. cat jumps 6 feet up and runs. def hit we both are on him but no need. he falls over dead no more than 30 yards later! allot of emotions go threw a guy when he successfully sets out to call and kill a cat and succeds on our first day. after many pics and a few phone calls we make our way out. awesome experience and will be trying it again soon I hope! all because we turned around for a wallet haha. he ended up being a 133 pound male cat that had been tagged. snared twice and was 2 years old.

to make our day better we ended up finding a good buck for his dad later that evening and called him to come see if he was interested in him and he was. 300 yard shot put him down and ended an amazing day.

the white speck in the background between us is our camp

father and son pic

Back