Coyotes won't come in...help!

Savage

Went out for the first time this season in Colorado in an area called South Park. I have hunted the area before and know there are coyotes in the areas I am hunting because they are responding to my howl locator call. They won't come in to the howling so after a series of howls I started calling with my AP-7 throwing pup distress/rabbit distress calls at them. No success at all on 12 decent stand locations this weekend. Any suggestions? I am sure that it is my fault somehow / someway but I don't know why.

It could be due to a recent crop harvest in the area, or may not be since you could live in the mountains. Most likely there has not been to many hard frosts and the coyotes can find all the food they need. They are finding berries and perhaps harvested crop, mice, and other small rodents. Maybe you could try using some rodent squeaks.
Good Luck

Snowbound

Savage . if they are not responding to distress sounds ( i would think that the pups should be right now)try starting out with a male howl , followed by a female howl . Then a distress sound . (Or just use the pup distress) without rabbit or another type of distress cries . some times the pup distress causes them to come in slowly . not usually , but some times . Blow a pup distress every three minutes or so . Just keep lookin to make sure a coyote is not on the way in when you do , as he will make you out in short order . Let me know if this works for you please . Thanks, Jerry .

------------------
If you call them they will come-- FOX PRO.

Savage,
Me and TaxPHd hunted South Park about a week ago and didn't ever get answers to howling! Didn't see or hear ANY 'yotes on 5 good stands...really had us guessing. Think I'm gonna keep my coyote hunts on the Eastern plains until I get my 5 up! 0 for 7 is kinda sucky!
smile.gif

Dawgkills

------------------
0 for 7, but who's counting!
:)

Thanks guys.

These mountain coyotes in this area can be hard to call. It's frustrating though, because I know they are there. It is public land, but I have called them in here before in December and Janurary. More snow and less food most likely.

Jerry, sounds like good advice. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Back