ruger 77 controlled round feed?

is a ruger 77 with a spring ejector a true controlled round feed action?

i dont own one, but have interest in one. in the picture of the bolt, the bottom of the bolt is open like i would expect to see for controlled round feed, but a spring ejector makes me wonder.

yes, tang safety.

the one i am looking at has a bell and carlson stock, and has been rebarreled. but the asking price seems a bit high, most 77's i see on gunbroker are in the mid 4's to mid 5's. i could not build one for the asking price, but i have never been a fan of ruger rifles. so i guess i am looking for insight into why the cost so much less than remingtons or winchesters?

Originally Posted By: 6724yes, tang safety.

the one i am looking at has a bell and carlson stock, and has been rebarreled. but the asking price seems a bit high, most 77's i see on gunbroker are in the mid 4's to mid 5's. i could not build one for the asking price, but i have never been a fan of ruger rifles. so i guess i am looking for insight into why the cost so much less than remingtons or winchesters?

When I bought my first centerfire I looked at a Ruger 77. I passed on it as it just wasn't accurate enough for me. A few years ago I bought another, a target rifle from what I remember. The accuracy of the newer one didn't impress me either. After 2 months I sold it and bought a Remington.

I have nothing against Ruger, I just seem to find other makes more accurate.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishI've got one I rebarrel. I really like it. Just need different trigger in it now

I put a Timney in my wife's and she loves it. I heartily recommend it. The Timney guys were great to work with.

The Controlled Feed has 2 things the tang safety action does not.
It controls the round from the magazine to the chambef and it has a fixed blade ejector. They all have the non rotating extractor.
If the rails and ramp are set up right, they all feed good. But the fixed blade ejector is a serious plus.
As the bottom of the bolt face is open on the Mk ll action it makes cleaning the crud off/ out of the bolt face. Plunger ejectors and rotating extractors can cause problems in cold wet conditions.

Last edited:
Back