best black bear caliber for a youth

If he's used to the 243 & shoots it well, nothing wrong with that. I'd load up a 95 or 100 grn partition for the hunt. At 25 yrds(or less) one can almost thread a needle with the shot.

I understand the 'big hole' with a shot to the vitals. That is something to consider. It does take a little more to anchor a bear, compared to the average deer. On top of that, it may be almost dark, thick cover & no snow to assist tracking.

I would study up on some bear schematics & get a feel for shot placement. It sounds like you may be right there to assist.

If you are stand hunting over bait it is hard to beat a good foster slug and open sights for follow up shots. The bigger the hole the better, easier to track in thick cover especially in the dark. Bear have a lot of fat that can plug the bullet hole.

Originally Posted By: RustydustBe hard to beat a .250 Savage or a .257 Roberts.

For the last 40 years and certainly for the rest of my life my rifle of choice for deer will be my .257R. But, if I were building that rifle today I would choose a better round, the .260 Remington.

I too believe that the .250Savage or .257 R will do the job. But, a youth model would be a better rifle if it was in .260 or 7mm-08. Now, if you were to happen to run across a Savage 99 in .250 that had already been cut down...

Originally Posted By: geodeon deer i have him shoot the .243 with sierra 85 grain bthp which, in my 30 yrs experience with the round almost always means, DRT. I'm alittle less confident with bear but i LOVE it for whitetails. any thoughts on that? He certainly could shoot slugs out of the 20 gauge. we'd be hunting over bait.

Slugs over bait would be the wiser choice in those two options. The 85 grain is a tad light for penetration on larger heavier bear bones. Especially after penetrating the bear's hide which is thicker and tougher than a deer, therein expanding the hollow point faster, and having to penetrating the fat the bullet will encounter beneath the hide.

Case in point... We chased one down for a local deer hunter 30 or so years ago, he shot it with a 120 grain 30-06, in the neck, at about 60 yards. He said the bear turned it's head toward him slightly just as he squeezed the trigger, the bullet hit the spinal column, traveled a foot or so down the left side, crossed to the right, knocking the top off one vertebrae and chipping the next, chipped the top edge of the right shoulder blade, and stopped beneath the hide on the right side.

He hadn't gone far, and the trail dogs jumped him in a matter of minutes. We dumped the dog box, catch dogs took off and ran over a bunch of deer, thereupon going every direction under the sun, leaving 2 trail dogs, and one that just liked to sit back and make noise, in on the chase. 4 hours and several laps around the pond later, (all in the dark), he finally bled down enough that we were able to catch up to them and finish him off.

By that time he was running on pure adrenaline. The bear was backed up into a stump, sitting upright, when we caught up with him; the guy leading the chase was packing a 6 inch, Smith & Wesson 357 magnum pistol, loaded with hollow points. He put 5 rounds center mass, 2 inch group, point blank, (as in muzzle flash burned all the hair off the bear's chest), and the bear was still trying to get back up and catch him and the dogs. Put 2 more rounds in his head to finish him off, after much cussing and swearing, and trying to back up while reloading.

While speculation is never 100% guaranteed, it's reasonable to assume that a larger heavier slug would have held a truer path when it encountered bone, therein breaking the bear's neck, and saving a lot of trouble.

I shot a 235 lb. bear running at 12 - 15 yards, in the neck, with a 170 grain soft point in 30-30, dropped her like a rock. Same gun, same round, shot a 400 lb. bear, running 12 - 15 yards, hit it in the shoulder, and it never broke stride. Pulled the bullet out from under the hide in the swamp, at the entrance wound. It went in, hit the shoulder blade, turned and came straight back out. That one was killed with a 30-30 just a couple minutes later.

Bear are extremely durable critters... We killed one that was missing 2 front toes, 2 back toes, had been shot through and through with a high power rifle - 1 rib broke on the left 3 ribs broke on the right, recovered a 30-30 bullet, another larger .30 caliber bullet, 7 - 00 buckshot, and 5 - .22 bullets. ALL OF WHICH HAD HEALED OVER!

A 243 will kill a bear. A Nosler partition would be my only choice. But if it were me and my kid, I'd feel a lot safer and more confident with a 20 gauge slug if you are not going to purchase a new gun. The first year I went bear hunting I witnessed 13 kills over dogs. They were shot with everything from slugs to ultra mags. The only DRT was outta my 300 ultra with a 180g swift scirocco. Mainly because I hit it in the shoulder. What I'm getting at is 99 percent of black bear will end up being tracked . It just depends on how far you will have to go and how good of a blood trail you'll have with your caliber choice. Fun yet hair raising.

Last edited:
The 243 will do anything the 257 bob will and in some cases better. So I am not sure why you would waste your money. The 30-30 if your going to buy him a new gun would be better. Why not just buy some 20g slugs?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MNHNTRThe 243 will do anything the 257 bob will and in some cases better. So I am not sure why you would waste your money.

My experience has been different than this... My experience has been that my .257 with 110-120 grain loads have been more lethal than the .244s Might be my choice of bullets and a very limited sample.

But, this is an argument that may rage on forever. However, in the right rifle you can push the .257 way beyond the .243... And, in similar bullets the .257 will always be heavier and therefore have a slight edge.

Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator My dad is recoil sensitive and shot a 243 on whitetail for years but didn't like that the 243 didn't stop em in their tracks.

Interesting, I've run a 243 for years and it will dump a deer just as fast as anything else. It's all about the bullet and the shooter.

The wife and I have 15 blackie kills between us, firearm and archery. They are not any harder to kill than a deer, but they can be harder to track. Fat and long thick hair make blood trails weak,sometimes.

For a youth, I'd say 308,7-08, 356/358, shotgun slug will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Dultimatpredator My dad is recoil sensitive and shot a 243 on whitetail for years but didn't like that the 243 didn't stop em in their tracks.

Interesting, I've run a 243 for years and it will dump a deer just as fast as anything else. It's all about the bullet and the shooter.

Agreed. You can stop a deer in it's tracks with calibers smaller than a 243 with the right shot. I have killed my share with the 243, and so have some hunting buds. Have seen some lightning fast kills with it. Most of them with plain old jacketed soft points. None ever got away or required tracking. A bad shot is a bad shot, regardless of caliber.........

Originally Posted By: Greg_MeyerOriginally Posted By: MNHNTRThe 243 will do anything the 257 bob will and in some cases better. So I am not sure why you would waste your money.

My experience has been different than this... My experience has been that my .257 with 110-120 grain loads have been more lethal than the .244s Might be my choice of bullets and a very limited sample.

But, this is an argument that may rage on forever. However, in the right rifle you can push the .257 way beyond the .243... And, in similar bullets the .257 will always be heavier and therefore have a slight edge.
Really? I suppose that is why the 257 is so much more popular than the 243? I load for my wife's 257 that I would swap a new barrel on in a minute if I knew she wouldn't notice. Limited bullet choices and poor factory ammo choices make this a dud in my book. Anything past 400yds and the edge starts going to the 243 and I do not care how heavy the bullet is. You cannot kill something more than dead. My point is if you own one of these already your wasting money buying something so similar. Either of these will take a black bear with a well placed shot.

"I suppose that is why the 257 is so much more popular than the 243?"

Popularity... marketing... Obama was more popular but that doesn't make him a better President.

Like I said, people above my pay grade argue this point better than I do... I have shot and killed over 40 deer with my .257 and "so far" have lost none. Always used my own handloads, corelokts, then Gamekings and Partitions for heavier critters... 20% more bullet just always influenced my choice. And, with 12-15% more case capacity I can push them hot. Factory loads will certainly influence your mileage, but with handloads I have just as many choices as the .243 and I think they are better.

i talked to a potential bear guide tonight and he recommended just sticking with the 50 cal. muzzy that he is already familiar with and has shot 3 deer with already. I guess I kinda agree with that except that takes the fun out of a new gun search! Ifn I was going to get him a new one between now and then, I think I'd probably go 7mm08 or something along those lines. I can't let him shoot my .243 forever, can I? After all, its MINE! My dad bought it for me and he'll end up with it soon enough!

Originally Posted By: geodei talked to a potential bear guide tonight and he recommended just sticking with the 50 cal. muzzy that he is already familiar with and has shot 3 deer with already. I guess I kinda agree with that except that takes the fun out of a new gun search! Ifn I was going to get him a new one between now and then, I think I'd probably go 7mm08 or something along those lines. I can't let him shoot my .243 forever, can I? After all, its MINE! My dad bought it for me and he'll end up with it soon enough!

If that was my guide I would have to disagree. With bears there is always the risk of needing a quick follow up shot. I have never seen a safety situation with deer follow ups.

Hard to beat the 7-08.I think Hornady offers a reduced recoil load for it.Even with full power loads it's still pretty mild compared to most good black bear cals.

Back