D.I.Y mule deer hunt. Where to go?

semncaller

So, I am trying to get a jump on things for a hunt next fall. I am looking at doing a do it yourself spot and stalk archery hunt for mule deer. I realize this will be a tough undertaking but I'm getting sick of sitting in treestands all fall for whitetail and am looking for a challenge with my bow.
After doing some research I have narrowed it down to western Nebraska, South Dakota(badlands or northwest corner, or North Dakota(Little Missouri badlands area). All offer unlimited archery tags for a reasonable price and from what I have been able to find online it sounds like populations are similar in all 3 states. I would appreciate and information anyone has on these areas to help me make up my mind. Thanks!

I have did the same hunt your looking for in North Dakota badlands. FYI it is a draw to get a tag. I've put in twice and been drawn twice, but you do have to apply. The mule deer numbers last year were very low compared to the hunt I did there a few years before it. Be prepared for a challenging hunt and the wind swirling.

Thanks for the info guys. I hadn't thought about Texas, I'll have to look into that. Billsauk, I had heard that the population was down but it sounds like that is kind of the case everywhere with mule deer right now.

SEMNCALLER, I put a hunt together for me and my buds there in 2007. Started with a ph call the county clerks office, got rancher ph numbers, and I was in it. Its well off the beatin' path, accomdations were great, and the ranch was 10 minutes from motel. 6 of the 7 got muleys, I popped a nice 100 lbs porker, and there are audad sheep in the area...we didnt see any but a guy hunting across from us got one.
Your deer license is all you buy, pigs and the sheep are non-games in TX, also no license needed for yote blasting. The Rifle muley season starts the weekend before Turkey Day, and Turkey, TX has a big community feed. All homemade stuff, potluck, and it was like 5 bucks a head for all you can eat. Great western swing music, it is the birth place of Bob Wills, and some great history.
If I can help, just PM me.

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerSEMNCALLER, I put a hunt together for me and my buds there in 2007. Started with a ph call the county clerks office, got rancher ph numbers, and I was in it. Its well off the beatin' path, accomdations were great, and the ranch was 10 minutes from motel. 6 of the 7 got muleys, I popped a nice 100 lbs porker, and there are audad sheep in the area...we didnt see any but a guy hunting across from us got one.
Your deer license is all you buy, pigs and the sheep are non-games in TX, also no license needed for yote blasting. The Rifle muley season starts the weekend before Turkey Day, and Turkey, TX has a big community feed. All homemade stuff, potluck, and it was like 5 bucks a head for all you can eat. Great western swing music, it is the birth place of Bob Wills, and some great history.
If I can help, just PM me.

I farm in hall county texas and I don't know of any outfitters in the area that are doing hunts like that now. most EVERYTHING is a season lease these days. we do have some mulies but I also have a farm in motley county and I would suggest that area for mule deer. hall county has many more whitetails than motley county and they seem to displace the mule deer some. there are some decent bucks shot in the area occasionally but I think we have the desert mule deer strain of genetics so don't expect those 30" deer you see in Colorado or Utah etc. also check in the alpine area of far west texas. the ranches there tend to be HUGE and there are lots of outfitters in the area. many more aoudad there too!!!!

chuck

Come to NM....there are plenty of mulies for the taking.....and a few units produce some MONSTERS with a bow during the rut!!!!

Back