Internet trapper, lol

Tactical .20

I set some coyote sets the second day of IA's season.
here is my first one

my second one on the same farm, I set close to the fence to try to avoid farm equipment, not sure if they were going to work the ground or not.
then that night we got 3" of snow, 3" did this?

lol I had to dig the second coyote catch set out of 3' of snow, I started to dig to my right, then asked Lacey where the trap was and she sniffed the snow to my left, she was right! the second set I knew was west of the first. A dog is so valuable on a trapline, in several ways, I wouldn't want to trap with out one.
This female fell for a flat set I made at a bean straw clump the combine made, between 2 cornfields, near a wetland lake.

This real nice male was snared on my favorite farm, it has more than a mile of weedy fenceline off a river, I got 6 large males and 1 female here last yr.

This is the spot I got my 60$ coyote last yr, same spot, but this time a flat set, last time it was a dirt hole set.

This large old female, biggest so far this yr, was trap smart, I usually saw one set of tracks when pulling traps last couple yrs here, I took her in a well concealed snare on a fence line,

A nice male on my favorite place

A better look at his nice fur

A nice coon I got when my 2 gdaughters were with, nothing was moving, we got this coon on last stop on our second day of the weekend. It made the girls so excited! Sure after they leave I got 3 yotes in one day!

A nice female in a flat set

same trail I snared a big old dog a few yrs back

Same farm, same trail I snared a old dog a few yrs back, big female
[url=http://s40.photobucket.com/user/coyotetrapper11/media/1384399877_zpseb33ff47.jpg.html t=_blank]
There are a few tracks left out where I am at, not a lot, distemper hit them all hard last fall.
I will post some more pics as they happen

Last edited:
Nice work! Does your dog get the critters all riled up , I'm gonna get a new pup in the next year and want it to accompany me on the line. How'd you get yours to avoid your traps?

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsNice work! How'd you get yours to avoid your traps?

Mine figured it out all by her self,,,,,,,,,,,,, after she got pinched a couple of times.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsNice work! How'd you get yours to avoid your traps?

Mine figured it out all by her self,,,,,,,,,,,,, after she got pinched a couple of times.
smile.gif

Same way I learned when I started trapping.lol

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsNice work! How'd you get yours to avoid your traps?

smile.gif

Yep, Dany D. Rottendog found herself wearing a #3 Duke early in the season... she has managed to pay attention to where I am digging and avoids those spots now...

Oh, looks like you're doing it right RePete...

Last edited:
My first female got caught 5 times, in 11 seasons. first 2 cause she didn't know, last 3 cause she was goofin off,or just ran into one. This female I got now just stepped in one yesterday, she didn't like it much! lol dog being there, peeing or pooping where coyotes do, makes the yotes mad, they will check out sets better if you have a dog stinking up the place.

here is a big red dog, he is about an inch or so smaller than my biggest of my career.
i got five on 2 quarter sections a couple days ago

another female in this flat set

My dog knows what a trap is, my first one knew what they smelled like with no lure near them, this one will proly do the same.
I am averaging 40-50$ for each coyote stretched and dryed, I can handle that price!
here a female in a snare

Oops here is big red one, messed up on pics

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsNice work! How'd you get yours to avoid your traps?

smile.gif

Same way I learned when I started trapping.lol

LOL I feel your pain Fin (literally)
I run some traps on the mountain right behind my house. Well last year I came back from town one day and Sally'd somehow gotten out of the yard while I was gone. I wasn't to worried because she sticks around pretty good but when she didn't show up after a few hours I got to wondering if she hadn't gone to check the line without me so I took a walk up there. Sure enough she was laying there looking pretty forlorn in the first trap I came to. Since then she's avoided the smell of lure like the plague.

T20,,,, Nice haul and you're right about dogs attracting critters to your sets. Heck, I even use turds from my neighbors barn cats at sets providing I can find em before my dogs do,,, they seem to think they're snacks:(.

I got some time to load a couple pics, the big red one was the second largest male I ever got, the biggest was a ugly brown one, this one is red.
this big male I saw from other side of the dredge ditch, it never moved, so I told the dog to get off the atv, we crossed the steep ditch, I said to dog I won't need the .22 its dead, eyes half shut looked frosted, she went to look at it, it jumped up snapping and growling! The dog jumped a foot, I jumped, lol sure suprised me!

this old female second on this half mile, caught in flatset that was in the ground 2+ weeks, coal shale is my favorite bedding material, rain, mud, snow, thawing, freezing, still working!
1385531690_zpsfa4752d4.jpg

Last edited:

Today my son in law went with me to learn how to trap fox and coyote. I sanred a coyote on the same trail as this last pic from yesterday. It chewd the 7x7 5/64 cable and was gone, I was mad and was gonna drive atv off. I had told Joe not long before that the coyote like these 60' feeder tubes to hide in in bad weather and ect. He said do you spose it went into the culvert? The trail I snared these 2 males on was right off the upper end of a tube. I figured well might as well look, I looked and yelled to Joe, bring the .22 I think he's in there! I shot him and used barb wire to pull him out. He was real big, good fur, I think he will sell for 50$ I am averaging 47.50$
Thank You Joe! I darn near gave up on him!

Last edited:
I just knew this spot would work, new farm, grass patch on top of a hill above the dredge ditch.
Big male coyote, I got 2 this yr that will run 2nd and 3rd biggest of my life.

nice male

big female

this badger dug a hole in just right spot, it will prevent a front on approach to the flat set

small batch I took to NWIA Fur Exchange, big red there was lowest coyote in price, $20, rest all have sold for 40-50$

medium sized female

This big dog is likely the second biggest I ever got, only one in what was looking like a hot area, next couple days will see what is there.

Man -25 wind chill bites on an atv! be nice if it warmed up a lil bit

nasty mangy female, dang it, 2 walked into this section, one stayed, hope the other is not mangy.

Big dog, 8th coyote on this small farm, dirthole made from a badger digging, sat there 4 weeks and still working in freezing, thawing, rain, snow. Coal shale, my favorite bedding material. only thing I did was flip frozen rain crust off the trap bedding material, we got freezing rain last week.

Last edited:
well at least your fingers don't go numb and hurt when warmed up! My sister lives in SC. Too hot there for me, i would die from heat stroke, got it when I was 14.

thanks!
Here is big old dog I got today, same trap as big male a couple weeks ago, or maybe 10 days ago, before snow and freezing rain and below zero temps. I had a couple 7x7 5/64 cables chewed through in last 5 days, all snares from now on are gonna be made with 1x19.

he barked at us, then challenged us, as I got trapping bag and ect ready for the remake

Last edited:
Back