Muzzle Brake on RRA

ToddNE

i have a Fred Eichler edition AR with a muzzle brake on it and it way to loud so i want to change to a standard flash hider my question is will it hurt my accuracy? i hope not but looking for some advice thanks

go to Brownells or Midway and get a Lang compensator. It is closed on the sides and has holes on the end. It will help with the noise. $40 easy to install.

Wear earplugs while calling, even without a brake. Seriously, there are earplugs that allow you to hear normal sounds, but block high intensity noise like gunshots. I wear them religiously.

I need to buy a flash suppressor or a muzzle break as my new Ambush didn't come with one installed on the barrel. I guess I'll have to figure out the diameter of the barrel where it's threaded and count the threads per inch to figure out what type of threads to get on a flash suppressor.

Right now my AR15 has a thread protector screwed onto the barrel where it's threaded at the end of the barrel. But that doesn't do anything to suppress sound or hide the muzzle flash.

I read that a muzzle flash may make it louder for the shooter than shooting without one. Without one the noise is pointed downrange away from the shooter but with a flash suppressor on the end of the barrel is points the noise and gases up down and out to the sides which makes it louder for the shooter. Is that true?
huh.gif

Do any of you guys wear those electronic noise canceling ear muffs when hunting? The kind everyone wears at the rifle ranges.

Mine amplifies normal sounds and then shuts off when it receives a loud noise like a gun shot.

I've noticed that they help protect my hearing well and also allow me to hear regular sounds that are amplified but that they make it harder to get a good cheek weld on the stock. They do hit the gun's stock and get in my way when I try to shoot my AR15?

I went hunting a few times and didn't have anything to shoot at so I didn't notice how loud the AR can be. All the other times I've shot my AR15 was at the rifle range. And at the rifle range one must wear good hearing protection or go deaf. At the range there are so many other guns being shot that if you don't wear hearing protection you can't hardly stay there for more than a few minutes. So now the first thing I do when I arrive at the rifle range is dig my ear muffs out of the box in the back of the truck and put them on the first thing.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Peltor SportTac electronic muffs. I use them religiously at the range and IDPA matches, but am just starting to realize the importance of using them hunting. The lower portion of the muffs is thinner compared to some of the other muffs out there, making it a little easier to get a decent cheek weld.

I would definitely suggest taking your muffs out and at least trying them in the field. If necessary look at a thinner model so you are more likely to wear them.

The one I am referring to is a Levang Linear Compensator, sold at Midway for around $30, your hunting partners will thank you.

I still wear electronic muffs when I coyote call.

Originally Posted By: jrnmgo to Brownells or Midway and get a Lang compensator. It is closed on the sides and has holes on the end. It will help with the noise. $40 easy to install.

DPMS Levang Linear. I'm running one on an AR ans it has no effect on POI, but it is quieter than the RRA Puppyfoot.

Brownells Levang

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_I need to buy a flash suppressor or a muzzle break as my new Ambush didn't come with one installed on the barrel. I guess I'll have to figure out the diameter of the barrel where it's threaded and count the threads per inch to figure out what type of threads to get on a flash suppressor.

Right now my AR15 has a thread protector screwed onto the barrel where it's threaded at the end of the barrel. But that doesn't do anything to suppress sound or hide the muzzle flash.

I read that a muzzle flash may make it louder for the shooter than shooting without one. Without one the noise is pointed downrange away from the shooter but with a flash suppressor on the end of the barrel is points the noise and gases up down and out to the sides which makes it louder for the shooter. Is that true?
huh.gif

Do any of you guys wear those electronic noise canceling ear muffs when hunting? The kind everyone wears at the rifle ranges.

Mine amplifies normal sounds and then shuts off when it receives a loud noise like a gun shot.

I've noticed that they help protect my hearing well and also allow me to hear regular sounds that are amplified but that they make it harder to get a good cheek weld on the stock. They do hit the gun's stock and get in my way when I try to shoot my AR15?

I went hunting a few times and didn't have anything to shoot at so I didn't notice how loud the AR can be. All the other times I've shot my AR15 was at the rifle range. And at the rifle range one must wear good hearing protection or go deaf. At the range there are so many other guns being shot that if you don't wear hearing protection you can't hardly stay there for more than a few minutes. So now the first thing I do when I arrive at the rifle range is dig my ear muffs out of the box in the back of the truck and put them on the first thing.

Threads should be 1/2"-28

Back