Sierra 85 grain HPBT #1530 in .243

Don Armstrong

Loaded some of these up with 40gr.-H414. Should be around 3000 fps in my Tikka(guessing). They shot great but am a little worried about how they will do on deer. They should work good in my 6X45 but will they turn into a varmint bullet at 3000 fps. Thanks, Don

I've killed deer with them at under 100 yards with muzzle velocity over 3,100 fps. I wouldn't consider that particular bullet a shoulder busting break 'em down right now bullet. However if you put that tight behind the shoulder everything back inside there is mush and I usually got an exit on our Ozark whitetail bucks of about 150 pounds field dressed. As expected a neck shot (if you know where to put it) is like a lightning strike.

This is my favorite over all hunting bullet in my Parker-Hale 243/1:10 twist. I have dropped WY Antelope under 200 yds and feel it will do white tails as well. I load it under max with IMR 3031, .020 off.
Jim

I've loaded this bullet in 243's for years. I load it over the maximum listed and it chronographs over 3300 fps. It is an excellent coyote killer, as long as you're not saving fur. I have killed a couple of whitetails with it, but there are far better bullet choices in the 243 for deer IMO.

I shot a big doe last year at 100 yards just behind the shoulder with my 6x45 and it trashed the other shoulder. I have used them in my 6mm and have taken deer at 300 yards or better with no problem.

Don- shot a bunch with 37.5 and I 4064 and a few with 43.5 and 44.5 i4350 . awesome on the mule deer here in az. i would use my 7 mag if i was going to 350 pounder wt in canada.

Funny you should ask.
I just took another ( one of many) 300 pound mule deer at 200 yards with a dead center shoulder shot. Crushed the shoulder, ground up the heart and both lungs broke the other shoulder and didn't come out. Not a drop of blood came out. The deer fell dead and rolled 50 feet to the bottom of the hill, limp dead. Savage 243 but the speed on mine is only just 2900 fps, checked.

I have shot tens of thousands of the Sierra 85g BTHP, late 70's through the early 90's, killed about everything that walked, flew, and crawled with them.

Whitetail in the East may run 100 yds with them, but they are running dead, no exit.

My load in the 243 was 37.0g of H4895, Fed 210.

Sierra changed the bullet design, it is a tougher bullet than when I was shooting it.

I started with the 243 1965 and I still have that rifle but I've wore out some barrels. I used the Sierra 85gr BTHP for varmint and Nosler 85gr partiton for deer something like 41/42gr/IMR-4350.

I've shot several deer with them in .243Win & 6BR. on broadside shots in the lungs I ALWAYS get an exit. Even got exits on 2/3 deer I shoulder shot with them.

That's shooting the new plastic box bullets. I had a few with the old cardboard witht he oldstyle black writing & found them to be a bit softer. As ackley discribed.

So how did being softer affect the bulets performance.? Did it make it better or worse? Not being a smart a$$, serious question.

Back