What do you think of Hornady Interbond Bullets?

I would also look at the accubonds along with the interbonds...I have heard a lot of good things about them both. I am shooting the 154gr interbonds in my 7mm, but have yet to shoot anything besides targets with them. I will post on here how they do. Hopefully it will be soon, since I am hunting a place that has a lot of hogs. I just talked to a guy that is shootin the SST Light Mag Hornady round in a 30-06. Made a marginal shot and the bullet did not exit at all. The doe did not run anywhere, but if she did, there would have been no blood to follow.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21I wasn't going to chime in here, but it seems you are getting a lot of answers from guys that haven't shot Interbonds, but have shot Interlocks, SST's and Ballistic Tips. I've shot all those as well, but I quit hunting for a new bullet once I discovered the 165gr 30 cal. Interbond. I have killed 30+ (actually probably closer to 40) big game animals with this bullet including black bear, antelope, mule deer and whitetailed deer. It is an outstanding bullet and I have shot critters from about every angle with it. Rarely do I need to add a second bullet. It truly delivers a punch. It's probably not the bullet for guys that like to eat up to the bullet wound, but for guys like me that don't like tracking stuff it works very well. It penetrates really well, makes a good size wound channel, and most critters are DRT. The few that do run off do not go far and usually leave an impressive blood trail. With any luck I will add a couple more deer to the list by this week's end. It is a great bullet, try it, you'll like it!

What are you shooting those 165 grainers in? I'm currently shooting 165s in my 300 Win Mag and have had really good luck with them. I was thinking of the 180s for deeper penetration, but if the bullets really do retain 90%, I don't know that it would help much to go up to the 180s from the 165s. Heck, 90% retention from a 165 probably retains more weight than a standard 220 grain soft point bullet shot through the same animal.

Caligater, I shoot the 165gr Interbonds (Light Magnum ammo) out of my 30.06. For a long time I used a 300 Win Mag, but Interbonds were not available when I hunted with that rifle. If I had your gun I'd stick with the 165gr Interbonds as they will do everything you want them to as far as the killing goes. The "only" reason I'd switch to 180gr would not be for penetration but for less wind drift. However if you don't often shoot over 300 yards I'm not sure wind drift would be a significant reason to change.

Shot a bear with the 130 grain .277 and the bullet looked a little rough. It penetrated about 6 inches of the spine. Recovered the bullet and weighed it. It retained 94.5 grains. So 73% weight retention. That is one of the few bullets i've ever recovered so don't know if that's great but there's some info on that.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

EDIT1-6.jpg

Last edited:
I load 165 interbonds for my son's 30/06 Accurate and effective. Recovered a few bullets and weighed them - averaged 76 % weight retention. I'd shoot them myself but my rifle likes accubonds better.

Iv'r read on a few other forums That the Winchester Ballistic tip Bullets do a great Job of putting down a Whitetail Deer, but the meat Damage from them are drastic.I HAVE A FEW BOXES OF THEM FOR MY 270 WIN RIFLE IN 130 Gr. But have not tried them on Deer because of the reviews of the meat damage from them.So Iv'e been sticking with the Hornady 130 Gr. Interlok Ammo with great results etc. Like they say " If it's not broke , why fix it."

As far as the Ballistic tip bullets go. I will keep using them for Coyotes & any Groundhog Hunting, where I am not concerned about any meat or Pelt damage, As they are really Explosive on these Varmints. but not on any whitetail Deer.

I know you did not ask about Sierra GameKings but let me say they are a great bullet. Accurate and deadly. They expand but also hold together well. What kind of rifle are you shooting that the exposed lead tip would be damaged upon recoil? That does not happen with me ever.

I use a 105gr interbond in my 6.5 grendel, works very good as both coyote and deer can attest to, I run the 180's out of my .300 wm, they shoot very well, sub moa out to 450yds, but haven't killed anything with them yet, this get a muley with the 180sst bang flop deal but like the construction of the interbond better, just need to get something in front of it.

Back