decoy dog

Tikkamike

I posted this in a different section and was advised to post it here. So I have a 4 year old Black Lab, smart dog, but hasnt been trained to hunt anything. he sticks by my side for the most part. I have been thinking about trying to use him as a decoy dog. I dont know if he would actually go out and bring dogs in for me but my thoughts are he would distract the coyotes and make coming in more appealing since apparently coyotes hate other dogs? I think maybe he would catch on and start going out a ways to help bring them in but I am not sure.. how do people train decoy dogs? just take them out and pick it up naturally? Is there a chance having him around will just ruin my stands?

Best I can tell you is search this forum and wade through the crap and most of your answers will be there. Lab is a pretty big dog for decoy work.

I use my 1 1/2 year old pit female and she does pretty good she will go out after them then i tone her and she knows the tone comes before the pain so she hauls back to me. She would I am sure rather fight them but i only let her after I shoot then she thinks she really did something. I did shoot one last year when she was about 7 months old and shot low and broke one leg and that male coyote give her all she wanted but she eventually got ahold of him and it was over.

I agree [beeep] a lab is a big dog and may not work the same but heck it is worth a try... If she is a obedient dog and collar trained to come back try it worse case it doesnt work and u spend the day out with your dog.

This question gets asked a lot. I've had labs and have decoy dogs. A lab might make an okay decoy as in sit there and look for coyotes but they aren't that great at "tolling". It all depends on what you want. Labs are great buddies to have on the stand with you but I'll take a dedicated coyote decoying dog everytime.

Back