cfe 223 with 55 gr bulets

rebs

I just bought a lb of CFE223 to give it a try. I load 55 gr bullets for my AR 15. What is a good starting load or an accurate safe load with this powder ?

Hodgden site says to start around 24.7 grains with a Barnes bullet, or 26 grains when using a 55 sps sp. I personally use the CFE223 in my 22-250 with less than half inch groups at 100. Seems like a very fast burning powder.

I bought their loading book and it says in an article that 27.2 was very accurate with a 55 gr bullet. Your load could be right on the money. I am going to start at 25.5 and work up from there for my AR.

I got my bone stock SR-556 shooting a .6 MOA group with 26.9 grains of CFE and 55g Zmax's on a grip pod. 26.8 also shot well, but the group exploded in size at 26.7 and under, and was significantly bigger at 27.1. Not that these will be your same numbers, but you'll definitely want to try a few loads with it. I've really liked it so far!

I have this powder and I love it. I load 55 grain hornady fmj with 27 grains and am getting some real good groups. 1 in 7 twist with a daniel defense v7. I also tried 26, 26.5 and 27.5 grains but my gun likes 27 the best.

My load is also 28.5 but with 53gr Vmax and I have shot it in 4 different .223's( NOT AI'ed) all shot pretty good... fast too.My buddy had some Hornday Superformance ammo and we shot these loads against it and they matched up identical in both velocity and POI.Hmmmm.
Someone above mentioned it was a fast burning powder actually for a .223 it's on the slow end of the spectrum and I am guessing with lighter bullets may not get top end speeds.

I found that to be true while using it in the 6X45mm. Works great with 70gr and heavier bullets but is too slow burning for lighter than 70gr bullets.

I have 9 pounds of this stuff. Anyone have any ideas on how temperatures effect velocities with this powder? I've heard that Varget is not very temperature sensitive. In other words velocities aren't effected very much with temperature swings and Varget. I'm curious how CFE does with temperature changes.

I was loading it with 40gr varmagedon bullets and it was slow. Accurate but only running 3000 or so. I get 3400 almost with Varget. I don't shoot light bullets anymore and haven't given it another try

Back