best ar for the money

.243killa

Hi, im new here. im thirteen and have got into predator calling. i was wondering what kind of ar would be good for a beginneer that isnt too expensive. thanks ahead,

Just 13 eh? Take a look at your local walmart, they have a DPMS for $687, it is a 16" barrel though. You will have to have one of your parents there to look at it....that is IF your local wallyworld has them down there.

There are lots of good options out there. Dont get too caught up in gadgets and looking cool. 5 spd has a pretty good suggestion. You can even do layaway at wally world right now.

Rock River Arms has a really good reputation, especially with predator hunters. But honestly, I haven't seen an AR15 that I didn't like. Even the cheapest DPMS you can find at WalMart is going to shoot minute of coyote.

most of the upper and lower receivers are built by 3 or 4 companies and branded for the company (DPMS, S&W, whatever) that is selling them. so don't get too caught up in who the maker is, until you get into the high end custom made AR's.

decide if you want a free float hand guard and what you want for optics (open sights, red dot or scope mount) and look for what you can afford.

I also suggest going at getting a walmart gun, then using as a base for when you want to start upgrading.

Save your pennies, and buy THE rifle that you want.

The key is in the barrel. A top quality barrel is going to make all the difference. Many of the off the shelf AR's are chrome lined barrels which are great if you are going to shoot a LOT of ammunition. But if you are really interested in a predator gun, spend the extra money and buy a stainless medium contour or bull barrel, with a free floating hand guard and a GOOD trigger.

Too many times I see guys buy something off the shelf and then struggle to get the rifle to do what they want it to do. That was my mistake. I bought a Bushmaster M4 off the shelf and used it in competitions. While it worked for tactical matches it really didn't pan out when I went to hunt predators.

I ended up meeting with Scott at Specialized Dynamics who walked me through the building process many, many years ago. If I had done that in the first place I would have been able save myself the frustrations that the M4 put me through.

It miht cost you a littel more up front in terms of time and money, but it will pay off in the end.

Thanks for all the replies. may just have to put that bushmaster on my christmas list. I am going to be calling some in thick woods, so i was wondering whether or not a .22 lr would be good for close range shots. what kind of optics would be good forclose and medium range shots? thanks,

For a 'First AR" and for a young beginner, I'd have to second getting one from Wally World...The nice thing about the AR platform is that, if in the future, you decide you really like it, you can upgrade with individual parts as you can afford them...That's one of the reasons they are sometimes referred to as "Lego" rifles...

Bear in mind that most stock AR triggers are less than desirable, so an immediate upgrade to an aftermarket will probably be high on your list..

If you are used to shooting a bolt action, you will find that optimum accuracy shooting requires a couple of different changes in manner of holding it and obtaining your best cheek weld..For the most part, most ARs will keep up with most bolt actions in the accuracy area..

I would look for one that, at a minimum, has a removable carry handle, rather than a fixed one if you are planning to shoot with iron sights until you can afford a decent optic...If obtaining an optic is not a problem, then the model without a carry handle or front sight post is not even in consideration..

If, for some reason, you get a low cost one and decide it's just not for you, selling it and recovering most, if not all, of your money should not be much of a problem, but if you go high end or custom, it may present you with a future problem in the lost money area..

Originally Posted By: .243killaThanks for all the replies. may just have to put that bushmaster on my christmas list. I am going to be calling some in thick woods, so i was wondering whether or not a .22 lr would be good for close range shots. what kind of optics would be good forclose and medium range shots? thanks,

Go with a shotgun for close range stuff.

he's a kid, he's not getting a custom AR just yet.

While I have Scott building one for me, that's not going to be an option here.

If you can get your parents to buy an AR, any AR, take it & be happy. You have teh rest of your life to buy better ones, but the one your folks give you will always hold a special place for you.

Back