How does this look?

12Ring

So I have decided to put up my fur this year. It will be probably all coyotes and maybe a cat or two if i'm lucky.

I have made 3 stretchers, using dimensions off of a guy on youtube.

I made this fleshing beam today. I bought this piece of really hard wood from an exotic wood place here in town. Took me a while with the belt sander but I think I have it where I want it. I hand sanded it after I took these pictures, so now it is a smooth a piece of marble.

I still need to make a base for it. I can't decide if I just want some sort of a tripod base or some type of a folding base to get it out of the way.

I am probably going to order a Necker 600 fleshing knife, a 100 count of aluminium push pins and a apron also. I don't know much about fleshing knives but figured since I hear good things about the Necker 600, I would try it. Plus it seems to be right in the middle as far as price goes. Seen them priced from $15 up to $130

Here's is the beam. Let me know if you think there's anything I
can do to make it better.

Beam looks narrow should be 7-8 inches wide.
and should be built to fit the curve of the fleshing knife.
not all knives fit all beams.

It looks nice, but I also think it looks a bit narrow and definitely alot of arc to it. With the pelt between the board and the fleshing knife it looks you will only be shaving off 1/4" wide strips. Maybe it's just how the pics came out. I did a quick search and you may want to look at the pics on this LINK to see what kind of arc you may want and why.

If I were you I'd put a few coats of protective oil down now - it helps later when you wipe the gunk off the beam after fleshing. Good luck and if you end up not liking it you seem to have the skills to improve it.

Originally Posted By: erictIt looks nice, but I also think it looks a bit narrow and definitely alot of arc to it. With the pelt between the board and the fleshing knife it looks you will only be shaving off 1/4" wide strips. Maybe it's just how the pics came out. I did a quick search and you may want to look at the pics on this LINK to see what kind of arc you may want and why.

If I were you I'd put a few coats of protective oil down now - it helps later when you wipe the gunk off the beam after fleshing. Good luck and if you end up not liking it you seem to have the skills to improve it.

Ah man I didn't really know it had to have the same contour as the fleshing knife. I would have ordered the knife and then did the beam. Bummer, although I looked at the pics again and the pics do make it look like it has more of an arch then it really does. And the beam is 5" wide.

I am using a guy off youtube called 5911ryan to copy his stuff. He is from Canada and does hundreds of coyotes a year. His beam is 4" wide and his knife is flat so and I have seen so many other different beams that I had no idea the knife and beam needed the same arch.

I think I'll order the knife and then make some adjustments to the beam.

I am sure this is just the first of many mistake I'll make during my first year of putting up fur.

Actually, most beams have too much contour to them. And your knife only makes contact in a spot about the width of your finger. A little flatter type beam is actually better. Never work the pelt off the sides of the beam, always work in the middle. Practice will be your best teacher, and will teach you how to sew as well.

Back