The Good, the Bad, The Ugly...22-250 8 twist?

Kind of my thoughts...but I am on a tight budget...I have a wedding in april, and trying to buy house as we speak...I am trying to have one last bit of fun before I go on financial lock down for a little while.

Don't forget the sexy factor!!
lol.gif

You guys are a terrible influence on me...one other option Jeff and I had spoke about was getting a Stevens 200 and barreling it into a 6.5x47...to stay on a tight budget....but I am Remington guy at heart, its hard to switch

Originally Posted By: Smokin250You guys are a terrible influence on me...one other option Jeff and I had spoke about was getting a Stevens 200 and barreling it into a 6.5x47...to stay on a tight budget....but I am Remington guy at heart, its hard to switch

Say NO to the 200 !

See...exactly. I need to chit or get off the pot with this 22-250...because my understanding is that the 22-250 bolt face will work for 6.5x47

This started out being an easy barrel swap out using the rest of the existing parts...into keeping this gun the way it is and starting over with fresh slate...shoot

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: fw707

If you go with the 6x47L right now, you won't need to worry about doing another rifle later.

Yes, but he'll still "need" another. They are just like tatter chips , can't eat just one !
grin.gif

Yep. I have my 6.5 barrel on the way...just got the UPS tracking today. I am already looking at my 'next build'..thanks Tim, Jeff, Kevin, Brad....you all make it tough on a guy.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: fw707

If you go with the 6x47L right now, you won't need to worry about doing another rifle later.

Yes, but he'll still "need" another. They are just like tatter chips , can't eat just one !
grin.gif

Yep. I have my 6.5 barrel on the way...just got the UPS tracking today. I am already looking at my 'next build'..thanks Tim, Jeff, Kevin, Brad....you all make it tough on a guy.

Your welcome Shane, we love helping other spend their money
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokin250See...exactly. I need to chit or get off the pot with this 22-250...because my understanding is that the 22-250 bolt face will work for 6.5x47

You have received some great advice here. Listen to those who have traveled the path already.

All sound advice. However, something Jeff said rings true with me.

Its funny, because I have custom rifles of about each caliber mentioned. 223AI, 22-243, 22-250, 6x47 Lapua, 6.5x47 Lapua, 243 AI

If, someone asked me ( and no one has) I think Jeff was on the money with a 8tw 6x47 Lapua. Knowing what I know now, I think that would have been my very first custom. The bullet selection for the 6mm stuff is great. I have several firings on my 6x47L cases and they have not grown yet to need trimming. Recoil is almost non-existent. Coleridge has already shown that the 105 VLD's can kill deer at long ranges. Plus you can load some lighter bullets if you want to shoot dogs.

Again, as many have stated, you cannot own just one custom. You will end up planning your next one before the first one is complete.

Just my 0.02$ from a hill billy

Good luck in your quest.

Brad's right ! Much easier spending other's $$ !
grin.gif

I read so much on the 6x47L that I bought 200pcs of brass this winter, just incase I ever need it.
wink.gif

That reminds me, I need to look for a barrel. Just incase....

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Kind of my thoughts...but I am on a tight budget...I have a wedding in april, and trying to buy house as we speak...I am trying to have one last bit of fun before I go on financial lock down for a little while.

O'boy .. lots going on. I've done both marriage and buy a house. If I could start over , it would only be one of the 2....
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Buster Hindend
If, someone asked me ( and no one has) I think Jeff was on the money with a 8tw 6x47 Lapua. Knowing what I know now, I think that would have been my very first custom.

Not my first one, but it'll be my next one.
grin.gif

Smokin,
I've got a 9 twist 22-250 & I love it. I've shot it out to a half mile with 75 gr A-max's. That being said, look at northland shooters supply, they sell Criterion barrels pre chambered for Remingtons with a barrel nut like a Savage. You could get 2 barrels (2 calibers) for about the same money as buying 1 blank and paying a gunsmith to fit, chamber, and crown it. I wish I'd have gone this route.........
RB9

I suggest you PM Skinney and ask him about his 18" 1/8 .22-250. He says in one vid that it shoots 50 gr V-Max VERY well. Short bearing surface varmint bullets will shoot fine and be less concern than long match bullets of around 80 grains. The 1/14 twist works great, but I have always wanted a 1/8 for using 75's. Barrel life can be aided by coated bullets, my .22-250 shoots 50's like a laser with moly. I am trying some the new stuff and combined with CFE, copper fouling is nil. Gotta love our addiction
smile.gif

Mine currently shoots 50gr Nosler ct's amazing, but I have anything 700 22-250 VLS. I don't use either, currently...the idea of the fast twist 22-250 has been something I have wanted to do for sometime, but the 6/6.5's have been right there with it also.

I was talking with jeff last night and he was saying that since the 6x47 takes the Small rifle primer, I would have to have bolt sent out and have firing pin bushing put in due to the high pressure and smaller primer of the 6x47 if I go that route. Would I still be able to bring it back to lets just say a 22-250 someday if I decided?

I have been shooting a 220swift for over 50 years. So this 1-8 twist is new to me. My rifles have been 1-12 & 1-14. I have always had the need for speed, 4000+fps/45-50gr bullets.

I shoot 70-100gr bullets but in my 6mm rifles. Why would I shoot 70gr bullets in my 220swift. It is just nuts but I am an old man. "What do I know". 6mm bullets have good B.C. numbers and are great in cross winds. I own four 6mm rifles and load 75-110gr bullets.

Back