Minute made coyote

DoubleUp

Monday night when the fire meeting siren went off, I stepped outside to listen for any nearby coyotes. I heard one howling which sort of surprised me in the breezy conditions. So last night after a too large dinner meal, I was sort of dozing on and off when I got "this feeling" that I should go outside and try to call a coyote. I'm not sure that it should be called a premonition so just “got this feeling” will do. By now it is 11 o’clock, so I grab my gear and head out into my backyard where I called the four in two weeks ago and got the double.

I set my seat up by an old pile of left over bricks for cover. As soon as I get set up and turn the call on using coyote group yip howl I have one responding but not in the field where I’m overlooking. This one is across the highway in the horse pasture in front of my home and she is mad as mad can be at these interlopers on her territory. The blue down arrow shows where I first saw her eyes with the xlr 100.

She comes out of the horse pasture, crosses the highway and is charging down the field ready for a fight all bristled up and stiff legged in the direction the blue arrow shows. I have to wait until she clears the horse pasture and the only neighboring house near me but she keeps right on coming down the freshly plowed field.

I don’t even have to bark her to a stop. She just stops abruptly where the blue down arrow shows about 85 yds out still all stiff and bristled up and is raising cane. I’ve now switched to the xlr 250 kill light and touch one off with the 243. The 58 z-max hits her square in the ribs and she goes down in a pile. Pup distress kicks in on the FoxPro and I expect a big alpha male to come charging in to her rescue, but nothing else responds so I cross the ditch and drag out my minute made coyote. This is the pile of bricks where I was seated and the direction I was expecting a coyote to come from. It is 200 yds to the woods shown in the above picture. This morning I lasered the actual shot as 87 yds.

I had set my FoxPro up to my right about 25 yds away on the embankment which surrounds my fish pond here.

While it is hard to tell, this was another white tip. The bullet entry is shown on her right side. It was a small hole and didn't bleed much.

And this is a picture of the offside. As you can see there is no exit.

It was a good reminder to me that when I hit the call, I better be really ready right then. Sure glad I paid attention to “that feeling”. That makes number four that I’ve called and killed in my back yard in the past month. Thank God for country living.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back