The Good, the Bad, The Ugly...22-250 8 twist?

Smokin250

OK, I know I am beating a dead horse here...but here it goes. Thanks to a member here...(cough cough JEFF cough) I once again a very strong desire to "build" a rifle, capable for semi-long range shooting...kind of. Anyway, If the money was no issue, id love to build something along the lines of a 6.5x47, 260, or even a 7mm platform...however I think I am going to start on a solid platform I already have.

Currently I have a factory barrel/action 700 SPS V 22-250. Its sitting in a HS stock, with vxIII 6.5-20x50 30MM, and trigger is adjusted. It shoots pretty darn well right now with 50gr Nosler CT's. My Thoughts are use this as my base platform considering I already have all the basic's to start from. Jeff and I have talked for months about this and I have considered all kinds of options here, he suggested I talk to Southern Precision Rifles and have him put me something together. I can get a Krieger or Brux barrel in something like a M24 or Rem Varmint contour in 8t for around $315, Then it is $250 to chamber crown and install. A couple other odds and ends possibly and im sitting pretty for a decent price I feel.

Now my question's are....

1) Am I going the right route here using my 22-250 (my FIRST RIFLE EVER AKA my "Baby")
2) What are the negatives of the 8" 22-250
3) Do I want a 22-250 AI...Why?
4) What bullet's/powders are most going with? I know I see a lot on the 75 gr a-max but they seem to be extinct. I was thinking maybe 80 gr bergers, or scenars?
5)What barrels should I look at or stay away from?
6) what barrel length? I was thinking 24" ISH
7) Anything else...?

I know this is long winded and all over the place, but that's how my mind works. I will have a couple extra dollars coming to me in a week or so possibly that may be able to cover a mild "build" so I am just trying to get everything set in my head what I want. Any help good/bad will be helpful.

Thanks
Brian

Just a few thoughts, in no particular order. What is the intended use? For long range shooting I just think the 243 is a better option, nothing wrong with experimenting though.

I had a custom 22-250 build a few years ago, medium heavy 24" Shilen barrel. I had a discussion with the smith about twist rates. The 1st thing he asked is what bullets I was planning? My answer was just about exclusively 50-55 grain bullets, prairie dogging. His advice was to stick to the common 1/14 twist rate.

There are a few sites that list bullet weight(length) & preferred twist rates, check them out.

Gotta give a little credit to the rifle makers, most seemed to have settled on the 1/14 with the 22-250. Another option is to go just a bit faster on the twist, but still short of 1/8".

Frangible bullets at fast speed in a 1/8 twist may not make it out the barrel in one piece.

One can fall back to personal preference, if it's something you want to do nothing wrong with that.

I learned many years ago that when i started wanting faster twist barrels it was because i wanted to shoot heavier bullets.

If you are shooting a caliber like, (lets say) the 22-250, but feel you may need/want to go to a heavier bullet than it was designed for, then just go to a larger caliber and you can then start trying the bullets it was designed for.

As stated above the .243 would be the next choice for me and then i would still have my baby as well.

Honestly I have zero need for this...what so ever.

I purchased this rifle years ago as a green coyote hunter thinking I was getting exactly what I needed...since then I have put together a DPMS sweet 16 that is my primary coyote/varmint gun. So this one has been shunned to safe waiting to either go on a diet, or go on steroids.

I have read a lot about the heavy 22cals and how fun they are and how well they preform. The main use of this gun will be for shooting mater or steel. A member here took me to a long range shoot a few months back and got me pumped about it. Id like to be able to go out and have fun and be able to hit some of the targets on first part of course out to lets say 600 yds or maybe a shade longer if i'm feeling froggy.

Brian,
A guy can go crazy trying to decide what to do.
If the intent is to rebarrel the '250 and use the rest, I'd scrap the fast twist '250 . Step up a notch and go 6x47L and don't look back. Nothing to loose and plenty to gain.

Then later if you want a 22 cal, Build an 8 twist .223AI or 22-204. Burn a little powder and have tons of fun ! A fast twist .223 never dissapoints.

Ive seen a lot of your posts showing how effective the 223AI can be as well, so that's always been in the back of my head.

See the thing is...as dumb as this sounds...This gun is staying a 22-250. I have a thing about it for some reason, and it would be very hard for we to switch it do another caliber, I don't know why but I have a thing for 700 22-250's.

I know if I start from scratch though I am going to be spending some considerable money to build a 6.5x47. action, barrel, trigger, stock, scope...ect

OK,
22-250 it is then...

8 Twist
RVC
Brux, Krieger, Pac-Nor
24-26"

Can't comment on the powder or AI,part. Never had a 22-250 .

Bullets, I hope the Amax come back on line in early '14. If not Bergers are good too.

Trip the factory trigger and get a Jewell. Thank me later...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOK,
22-250 it is then...

8 Twist
RVC
Brux, Krieger, Pac-Nor
24-26"

Can't comment on the powder or AI,part. Never had a 22-250 .

Bullets, I hope the Amax come back on line in early '14. If not Bergers are good too.

Can't say it any better than that right there.
thumbup1.gif

You guys are killing me here with the 6 & 6.5x47 idea...especially since I got to see how well they perform with you jeff.

Have two 8 twist AI's I would go AI just to not have to trim brass as much and 75 Amax's are in stock at Fin Feather Fur in Ashland at least they had them last weekend in the 600 boxes.
4350, H4831sc, RL22 all good with the 75 Amax out of my 26" Pacnor

Originally Posted By: Smokin250You guys are killing me here with the 6 & 6.5x47 idea...especially since I got to see how well they perform with you jeff.

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke
Step up a notch and go 6x47L and don't look back. Nothing to loose and plenty to gain.

If you go with the 6x47L right now, you won't need to worry about doing another rifle later.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Dang...when you put it that way...

Why the 6 over the 6.5?

Either is fine.
The 6 is flatter.

I own a .22-250 and a .243. Looking back I'm sorry I bought the .22-250, the .243 is just more versatile shooting heavier bullets and can be used on larger game.

The problem I have with fast twist barrels is I've heard they don't last as long. But, I've never owned one so can't say it's a fact they wear faster.

Were I given the choice you have the rifle would be shooting .243 bullets.

You could get a 1-6.5 twist barrel for the berger 22cal 90 grainers. 6 is also less recoil than a 6.5, but more than a 22-250. My choice if you sway from the 250 would be 6 creedmore..

I also understand how you feel about the .22-250 seeing how it was your first rifle. Makes the decision harder, but I'd have no problems changing.

"Fast twist not lasting long ?"

Yep, you hear all kinds of stuff here there and everywhere.

Problem is, What is doesn't last long ? Is it 1k ,3k, 10k shots ? Every cal/ barrel is different.

Just like all 17 cals foul easy or they are barrel burners.
crazy.gif

Mud tires don't last as long as road tires, well some do some don't.
Heck I was told I could not shoot 700 yards with a 223 !
lol.gif

Only way to know anything 100% is to do it and find out for yourself.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707

If you go with the 6x47L right now, you won't need to worry about doing another rifle later.

Yes, but he'll still "need" another. They are just like tatter chips , can't eat just one !
grin.gif

Back