Scope sun shade, yes no maybe?

brusso89

my buddy just got a scope with a sunshade and he says its awesome yet he hasn't took it out hunting yet... I can order one for my Nikon scope fairly cheap but I have never used one and haven't seen to many people at the range or out in the field with one. so im asking if any of you guys use one or like or dislike them for any reason? thanks in advance for any input!

if its really bright out, then yes, i use mine, or a diffuser.. my glasses, sun glasses, and shooting glasses are all prescription with polarized lenses and anti glare coatings, so the bright stuff doesn't bother me as bad as other people.

when i am actually hunting, i won't normally have it on, but I might take it with me but its usually left in the truck. it really depends on the conditions and what I am doing...

i saw a guy at the range that had two of them stuck together some how.. he said they increased his magnification.. heh..

i did not try to explain to him what they were for...

Originally Posted By: brusso89my buddy just got a scope with a sunshade and he says its awesome yet he hasn't took it out hunting yet... I can order one for my Nikon scope fairly cheap but I have never used one and haven't seen to many people at the range or out in the field with one. so im asking if any of you guys use one or like or dislike them for any reason? thanks in advance for any input!

Sure do... in the winter months with the sun lower and in the south, sometimes it's a huge benefit to have a sunshade when making sets towards the sun! all my calling rifles optics are equipped with sunshades.

they have there place when to use them, i have notice with mid to low range glass they seem to help improve the quality of the glass

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: brusso89my buddy just got a scope with a sunshade and he says its awesome yet he hasn't took it out hunting yet... I can order one for my Nikon scope fairly cheap but I have never used one and haven't seen to many people at the range or out in the field with one. so im asking if any of you guys use one or like or dislike them for any reason? thanks in advance for any input!

Sure do... in the winter months with the sun lower and in the south, sometimes it's a huge benefit to have a sunshade when making sets towards the sun! all my calling rifles optics are equipped with sunshades.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: jotrotthey have there place when to use them, i have notice with mid to low range glass they seem to help improve the quality of the glass

+1 They are good to stuff dried grass in. They taught that to me at long gun school.

+1
thumbup.gif

Same here.

Originally Posted By: possumalI have always used a good sunshade. Helps cut down on glare and helps keep snow or rain off your objective lens.

Take the wife's prize pair of panty hose, stragically cut a hole/ a piece out. Stretch over objective lense and rubber band in place...No glare, helps block bright light, no grass to catch. And if she dont kill ya, she may model some new ones for you a Fredricks of Hollywood.....WAHOO

Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerTake the wife's prize pair of panty hose, stragically cut a hole/ a piece out. Stretch over objective lense and rubber band in place...No glare, helps block bright light, no grass to catch. And if she dont kill ya, she may model some new ones for you a Fredricks of Hollywood.....WAHOO

Interesting DIY sunshade/ARD idea! I might have to give that a try.

Originally Posted By: possumalI have always used a good sunshade. Helps cut down on glare and helps keep snow or rain off your objective lens.

+1

Never go hunting without one. Scopes without sun shades are lame.
wink.gif

ARD's are different than sunshades, probably more effective for most conditions, just depends what your 'problem' is. Other cheap options include covering some portion of the objective inlet with electrical tape leaving a narrow slit (macro-version of polarizing), or to cut the same type of slot through a Butler Creek cover. That gives you the option to flip it up when not needed, or down when sunlight gets too bright.

Almost all my rifles have them, regardless of the intended use...Except for when I switch over to my EO-Tech on my AR...

While a couple of them may only be 2-3" shades, I think it helps keep dust and moisture off of the objective lens..For my long range, or precision, shooting I have 6-8" shades to help cut down the mirage from barrel heat or for those times when the sun may be coming in from a lower angle...

Both of these have 8-32x scopes and the shade swaps back and forth between the two..
,22lr

This is like asking someone "Do I need to wear sunglasses".

Ridiculous really. Never heard of anyone using a sunshade for snow/rain. Whatever.

Carry on..........

Back