Fur - Mo - Van on the Road Again

dan brothers

Well... it's that time of year again when the coyote hunting hackles raise up on the back of my neck... and I just gotta go West.

I guess I'll be leaving the Oklahoma and Kansas doggies alone this year and head North West, into Montana Country. Burr.... that sounds cold just typing it...LOL.

My Ford Van is loaded to the gills, and ready to head out tomorrow for a 30 hour, 2000 mile trip.

If anyone along my route wants to hook up for a little coyote hunting, or even for a stop over rest... let me know by PM, email or cell phone. I'm taking my laptop with me, so I'll be able to log on now and then throughout the next 5 weeks of traveling around.

I'll be taking the route of... Atlanta, to Chattanooga, to Nashville, to St. Louis, to Columbia, Mo, to Kansas City, to Lincoln Nebraska, to North Platte, to Ogallala, to Bridgeport, to Alliance, to Chadron, to Rapid City, Spearfish... and then into the southern part of Montana.

Goggle Map says there is a faster and shorter way to get there from here... BUT... I want to see that country out there. It's a few hundred miles longer, but I just gotta take in the sights and enjoy it's Beauty.

I even have my shotguns with me... I might be able to get into some upland birds... which is close to my #1 Love. As a matter of fact, if any of you guys contact me about bird hunting, I'll probably stop even quicker.

If anyone has any Tips or Hints...PLEASE CONTACT ME... you just never know how you may be a Blessing to someone's life.

The van looks like a mess right now, but I have plenty of time to get it organized.

Stay in touch... thanks Dan

dbrot7@cs.com 803-348-1949

DSCF5004_zps7341e142.jpg

DSCF5003_zps675d97de.jpg

DSCF5002_zps69e7a718.jpg

DSCF5001_zpsf0f255c2.jpg

Last edited:
When you hit St. Louis you might want to go up 61 (4 lane) to Hannible Mo and take 36 across to St. Joseph and then north. I70 can become a parking lot at times. After my last 6hr delay outside of Booneville, have stayed off I 70 when we go to Kentucky. Have a safe trip and may your stretchers be full.

Last edited:
If we hadn't headed to FL early this year, you would have had a decent stop over at my place...We're only 14 miles north of I-70, on the west side of St Louis...With the gear you are packing, you want to be careful of the motels in the St Louis area, regardless of reputation or comfort level...

They have crews that cruise motel lots looking for out of state licenses that are loaded with anything that can be sold or pawned...

best of luck, I will keep them SC yotes company while you are gone, not much chance of me deleting the population.

That's a good tip, John56... I'll keep that in mind when I get to St Louis.

Want my job...LOL. That poor van has been full of log cabin stain equipment since last spring... with ladders all over it... it's the one that is going on vacation... I'm just it's designated driver.

get-attachment_zpsccad346d.jpg

If you've never seen the sandhills in Nebraska you might have a fun drive heading north of Ogallala up to Valentine and then over to Chadron.

OT... I haven't stopped in a motel in my last 3 trips... I hope I don't have to start now... and that good tip about motels in St Louis will be headed as well.... thanks.

To bad your in FL... I'd enjoyed stopping at your place for some chats.

Jwest...

I WILL BE GOING TO THE SANDHILLS.... FOR SURE... THANKS...

Are there any yotes in that area...?

Nice looking van, all it needs is a couple of dead coyotes hanging off of it lol I'm kidding! I enjoyed reading about your last adventure and look forward to reading about this one. Post lots of pics and stories! Good luck.

Jwest... Merdit... should I take the Blue Star hwy 83 out of North Platte, up to Valentine... or 61 out of Ogallala...?

My route is not set in stone, so other options are always helpful...thanks....Dan

Matachango... I did stur things up a little bit last year with those hanging coyotes... I guess taking them through town was not such a great idea...LOL.

But I'll be hanging somemore... just won't be going to town.

I can't tell you which way would be better. I have only been north of ogallala. Road 83 I think goes north and travels through some wildlife refuges south of valentine. I think some of them allow certain types of hunting. Lake McConohay is impressive for being in Nebraska and it is just north of ogallala. Theres probably a lot to see either way. Hopefully somebody with more information can do a better job of answering your questions.

The tip about taking US 36 (mostly divided 4 lane) across MO is a good one...If you get on I-64 at St Louis and stay on it, it turns into US 61 when it hits I-70 and it's 4 lane, divided all the way up to Hannibal where you go west on US 36....Much more stress free and easier driving than I-70...Other drivers are definitely more courteous...

Also, cutting through the Sand Hills in Nebraska is a good way to go...I've made it a couple of times on a motorcycle while heading for the Black Hills and thoroughly enjoyed it...Just fill up with gas before you head north, at least when I went, my bile only held 5 gallons and it got a little tight....

Last edited:
Another good route through Nebraska ,I-80west to Grand lsland,then north on 281 to hyw.2 go west to hyw 83 then north into Valentine ,then hyw 20west ,you will be in the heart of the sandhills for quite a few miles on this route.
Not to mention that Old Randy Anderson calls Valentine Home.
lots of friendly folks & critters up that route

Back